When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

6538 Build Progress: Movement Discussion

droptopman

• 1 month later...

I forgot I had this thread going and posted pics on another thread.

Update: case off to be custom engraved, movement is serviced and ready and Dbane is working his magic on aging the parts.

Couple pics:

Engraving will look something like this

8c78d66a51e849ece68388eb4e9013c5.jpg

Insert after some aging

3b7774dac9fc60f14cf3c64f5cad583a.jpg

Some movement macros

7c46ec350888636c867354c896e4e8a3.jpg

Sent from my droptop using telepathy.

• Like 3

NeckyZips is doing the engraving. As for your other question in the other thread about where to start...

Being an MBA, I take a project management approach with a design plan and spread sheet. Do the research as you are doing now; this mainly was reading a lot of threads but also having conversations with other members who had experience with these builds. In the end there was some conflicting information out there so at some point you just have to decide which route you want to take--mainly this is just personal preferences of the builders. Sometimes accessibility to parts and cost will drive those decisions as well. Even with all the threads and information out there, it would be next to impossible for me to do a build like this without the help of other members. On this build CC and Nanuq both were very helpful and of course Dbane who is doing the build has had input the whole way.

Once you have the plan, and a list of the parts you want, then it just takes time, effort and $ to acquire the parts. I had access to both a phong and MQ case set, so I knew it would be one or the other. The big thing was to get the gen spec dial. Once that was sourced then I had a vision about what other parts to use for the build. Since my dial has the red depth, I wanted to keep the red accent theme going. If I had a silver depth dial that would have changed what I chose for an insert and bracelet. Then start shopping on all the forums--rep and gen and all the time. These parts go quick so you have to be active in your parts hunting.

On this particular build, I would say it started with the dial.

• Like 1

Ok guys, finally found a decent 7206.  Just picked her up this afternoon.  Obviously she needs a restoration, but everything is there and looks to be in good shape.  Needless to say the excitement level is increasing...

post-60288-0-89495600-1427746112_thumb.j

post-60288-0-31306400-1427746136_thumb.j

• Like 1

thinking about going for a 1:1 amazing big-crown build.

I hear ya. Thing is, there's one dial that's good enough for an epic build, and those are getting harder and harder to come by. I did the Big Gonzo v1.0 using a much modded lesser dial, with the assurance some day my GOOD dial was going to be available. Without that certainty, I wouldn't have started the project.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update on the progress.  The bracelet is somewhere between the PNW and China on its way to MY for a full restoration.  Case is in NC getting engraved and everything else is with Dbane waiting patiently to be assembled.  I was hoping to have this done before a long overdue vacation in the middle of May, but looks like we may be pressed to reach that goal.  Regardless I cannot wait to see this baby assembled.  Teaser pic from Dbane

post-60288-0-06787400-1429052309_thumb.j

• Like 3

Got to say my man, you are doing it right! You will have a big crown build that will be right up there with the "big boys" everything looks great, and I like your approach. Too many folks start out on these with a haphazard plan, mostly hope!! As you know from your business background, hoping and wishing are NOT a business plan!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Good afternoon guys.  Wanted to share some joy with you.  Been looking for a long 5 insert for some time now.  Finally found one that I liked for a "fair" price.  It does have a couple chips in it, but the pearl is an original and I like the looks of it.  Still unsure if I will use this or the phong red triangle, but I wanted to have that choice.    

This should be it for parts.  Case is on its way back to dbane with custom engravings and this insert is being direct shipped to him.  Did I say I was excited....few more weeks and this baby should be done and on the wrist.  What a fun project.  I have learned much during this process.  

post-60288-0-16834000-1430422268_thumb.j

post-60288-0-59012400-1430422285_thumb.j

Good afternoon guys.  Wanted to share some joy with you.  Been looking for a long 5 insert for some time now.  Finally found one that I liked for a "fair" price.  It does have a couple chips in it, but the pearl is an original and I like the looks of it.  Still unsure if I will use this or the phong red triangle, but I wanted to have that choice.    

This should be it for parts.  Case is on its way back to dbane with custom engravings and this insert is being direct shipped to him.  Did I say I was excited....few more weeks and this baby should be done and on the wrist.  What a fun project.  I have learned much during this process.  

attachicon.gifMKII 2.jpg

attachicon.gifMKII.jpg

ALMOST grabbed this one but went with the faded guy for a few pennies less :)

@droptopman by the way, didnt know you were doing a red depth build, very classy. mines silver so looks like you got me beat ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Bracelet is back from MY. Man he does great work. Looks and feels like new. I think dbane is putting the finishing touches on this so should not be long now.

f866136739a0bfed7dd6576b1a9c15a7.jpg

d15ff0c89d31ceca17cf08daea552fa6.jpg

90c6d6fcf5debea03b2da119e861a8cb.jpg

Sent from my droptop using telepathy

• Like 2