When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A Thing Of Beauty, The Best Vintage Daytona Ive Seen(special Dw 6263)

rbj69

What we have here is the infamous DW daytona with a few exceptions, ok it has a v72 not 727 (made by eta ) so i was just told by the expert lol , but it works like a tank (unlike the mystery movments that r around)

i installed the v72 correctly in it and did up all the bells and whistles , it is truly a work of art movment , i had to take some xtra pics of it and show it to u guys that loves this stuff

170936-9680.jpg

170936-9681.jpg

170936-9682.jpg

170936-9683.jpg

170936-9684.jpg

170936-9685.jpg

someone is going to be estatic for christmas!!! enjoy

joe(rbj69)

i believe it came out of a zodiac watch or something like that but rolex made the movment for them , the only mark i see on it is the R beside the 72 and it looks like it is outlined by the eta sign, lol , all i can tell u it is sturdy and came out of a watch won off ebay that was not rolex but it is the 72 style movment and lines up nicely as u can see, i had to make a special bracket to hold it in place but it is solid after that and feels very genuine and again the best one i have seen so far that actually works worry free

glad u enjoy it

joe

Rolex did not make the movement; Valjoux (now ETA) did. Rolex outsourced their movements from Valjoux as they did not develop their own proprietary chronograph movement until the 4130.

that explains the eta sign around the letter R then , i never act or said i was a expert in this movment , i just know it works and is fully transplanted , even the student teaches the teacher sometimes (just kidding with u ubi) , lol thanks again my old friend

joe rbj69

so the R means rolex approved , huh?

No, the "R" stands for Right. This is to indicate that the sweep hand moves to the right, or in a clockwise direction. This is in contrast to the Wittnauer version, where the sweep hand moves CCW, or Left.

;)

I guess Joe still needs to study up a bit before he himself is a teacher...

D'OH!

(just kidding with u rbj) , lol thanks again my old friend .

rotflmao, nah randy , i will just let u study the who made what and which era deal(im not big on reading books too much) my school days r over , lol (but im not too old to learn new tricks) lol, im more of a hands on kind of guy and making things fit and run properly etc....

merry christmas

joe

Awesome job Joe. Glad to see that you are back to full strength and great health again - now get crankin on those mods :p

yep some sweet stuff to come , also thanks for your thoughts of my health , im much better now especially after losing some weight, but now the holidays have come i think im gaining again, lmao ouchies

hope u have a very merry christmas

joe

I'll gladly expand my knowledge on something that interests me.

Oh, and since you're the hands on type who likes to make things fit... You may want to ask Oli how to remove a Royal Oak bezel and screws. He figured out how to do it in a few days vs. 9 months. Apparently there is more for the pseudo-teacher to learn lol lol lol lol lol But, I do thank you for returning my watch and refunding the cash.

Merry Christmas...

I'll gladly expand my knowledge on something that interests me.

Oh, and since you're the hands on type who likes to make things fit... You may want to ask Oli how to remove a Royal Oak bezel and screws. He figured out how to do it in a few days vs. 9 months. Apparently there is more for the pseudo-teacher to learn lol lol lol lol lol But, I do thank you for returning my watch and refunding the cash.

Merry Christmas...

no problem (in watches there is always something new and exciting to learn and or teach) so please keep educating , i appreciate your vast knowledge of the v72 cause i sure thought it was funny that it had the R in the middle of what i thought to be the old eta sign

stay healthy

merry christmas to u and yours

joe

Hey, All.

It's my watch. Yes, I got the movement out of an old Zodiac. Still needs some tweaking to the movement, especially with the resetting of the subhands. Joe didn't do a full service of the movement, but he did get it up and running, which is something the last place I took it to failed at miserably. Joe also did some case work and drilled out the lugs to accept gen. springbars.

The case is NOT a DW, it's from a guy named Cy.

I welcome any and all comments as I'm always looking to make it better. My observations:

The coronet is placed too high and looks too thick. I want a better dial, so if anyone has any leads, let me know. I'd like a silver dial, as well. DW was working on some better ones, but I've yet to see them.

The pushers don't seem to come out high enough. Very hard to notice, but they seem a mm or so too low.

The bracelet sucks.

Anything else?

Thanks for getting it working, Joe. Great job, as always.

Edited by Virgil Hilts