When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

No Quartz?

cavi

I may get pounded for this question, but I will ask anyway.   On this site I see many beautiful watches, but most if not all are either manuals or automatics.  I understand the beauty of these watches, and I own a few and plan on owning quite a few more but...  I also have a nice stock of Quartz movement watches, mainly seikos, bulovas and citzen eco drives.  Many of these are really nice looking watches, and some of them are actually getting old.  One of the seikos was given to me by my father as a high school graduation gift in 1984.  The watch still runs perfectly, I do not wear it any more as it s quite beat up from years of being used, and now it is more of a sentimental thing.  I replaced it with a newer version of itself the year my 19 year old son was born, and that seiko is still running and I do wear it sometimes.  I like my quartz watches when I do activities that might harm a timepiece.  I have a couple of luminox watches that I also love, they have titanium cases so they are light, and also very beautiful.

Anyway, I like all my watches, each for certain reasons.

Am I wrong about this?    Am I missing something?  Why does there seem to be a stigma when it comes to quartz watches?

Nothing wrong with Quartz. They're great as a beater, with the bonus of generally being more precise than their more desirable siblings. I guess the reason people look down on them is because high end watchmakers rely on mechanical movements for their art. How do you judge a timepiece; by its aesthetics or its precision? Generally, any cheap Quartz will beat even an expensive mechanical movement if accuracy is what you're after and therein lies the problem - expensive watches are there to look good and make us feel better, if we want to know the exact time look at your phone!

I think that Kernow hit it on the head. Because the quartz movements are for the most part mass produced low cost items, think phone chargers calculators, etc. they are held in disdain by most all high end watch aficionados. These are folks like a lot of us here who admire the skill and knowledge necessary to produce a fine mechanical movement, and we are admiring the mechanisms themselves not so much for their superb timekeeping, most do keep super accurate time but some don't, but the beauty and intricacies of this tiny little engine. That is not to denigrate the quartz movements. For "Grab and go" watches, they are the best no doubt. For super accurate timekeeping, they are the best. I believe that you will find that most folks who are not "watch people" are happy with the lack of fussiness of quartz watches. Only have to change the date when the month doesn't end in 31, and they are pretty darn accurate. I find that a lot of women, including my wife prefer quartz watches. She likes watches, but she doesn't like to "fool with them". She quit wearing a perfectly good Genuine Rolex Lady Datejust with diamond bezel and dial for a Tag Aquaracer, mainly because it is quartz. WIS like to "Fool with" our watches, wind them, set the date, set the time, etc. Non WIS want to pick up a watch strap it on and go, they are not amoured  with a watch because of it's movement, the clarity of the AR, the DW font, etc. They want one that is nice looking relatively inexpensive, rugged and always accurate.

Kernow got it right. Back in the 70s when I was in the watch repair business, the president of Rolex USA made a statement. "If you want a watch that is accurate to the second, buy a $10 quartz. If you want a watch with style, buy a Rolex."

There is nothing like the beauty of a smooth sweeping second hand of an automatic. Still when it comes to chronos You actually want to use many of us also go for simple quartz-models, they are inexpensive and reliable and "the feel" of a rep-quartz is the same of a gen-quartz - unlike some other models which on the outside look good but at the inside just have an asian movement and not an audemars piguet, lange or patek work-of-art one.

Once You start looking there are some interesting quartz around like the Tag Aquaracer Grande Date (really excellent quality and gen-like function - You should add one to Your collection, maybe in black it looks even better) or the Tudor Heritage Chrono which has no ticking seconds. Other models either have only a small ticking subdial second hand or come with a microstepper (sweeping) movement.

You can get almost any model ever made in a quartz version, still many quartz unfortunately also are of inferior looks quality (bad lume, no sapphire crystal etc.). I really wouldn´t mind for the makers to produce a closed caseback/ no running seconds, well lumed PAM with a quartz movement inside and offer it as a cheap alternative to their highly decorated - and because of that - sometimes prone to failure auto-movements.

TAG_1076c_zps4fbdee7e.jpg

tag_1079_zpse28d07dc.jpg

This other one is all wrong subdialwise but still it´s cheap and as a beaterwatch feels good - it really depends on the occasion and what You´re using the watch for:

OMG_4340_zps6wgg2t4j.jpg

OMG2_2268c_zps8a7ef577.jpg

IMG_4162r_zpszsakjsqy.jpg

IMG_4096_zpsbaqrgtes.jpg

cavi - if YOU like them, that is all that counts. But, for most of us, a quartz watch is akin to a Prius car. For most guys, a watch, like a car, has to have a mechanical engine or it is not a proper watch (or car).
1 notable exception to this is the battery-powered Bulova Accutron watches from the '60s & '70s, which are semi-mechanical (the second hand sweeps & the movement hums) & very collectible
Accutron2140092__-2_tonemapped21.jpg

Accutron214back0062__-2_tonemapped1.jpg

Whyyoushouldwear.jpg

1964Accutronad.jpg

Kernow got it right. Back in the 70s when I was in the watch repair business, the president of Rolex USA made a statement. "If you want a watch that is accurate to the second, buy a $10 quartz. If you want a watch with style, buy a Rolex."

And then they did their Oysterquartz :D

Well I find like most running out the door my quartz pieces are grab and go so get put on, of course this is a result of to many watches. :bangin:  If you have an auto w/ good power reserve wear daily you are ready to go my Steinhardt OVM been on recently take off when I get home and settled still running next day right on time out the door.  Of course then there are my winders which are such a bother , no room, plugs blah blah have a bunch around never use.

I will mention a Bulova, since someone brought up Bulova.  I bought a Bulova Precisionist last month that is really beautiful, but it has a sweeping second hand very mechanical like even though it is still a quartz movement.  I will post a picture latter.

That´s a great Wilton Precisionist Chronograph with one of the smoothest sweeping seconds hand ever (16 beats per second, not 6 or 8) and a 1/1000th sec precision chronograph. Waterresistant to 50 meter, no lume as it´s a (rather large) dresswatch for the conservative Tech-Guy. An electric Bulova was also the first watch that stayed on the moon when Astronauts left and the other watch generally used on Apollo missions (as it was not known how automatics would behave in space - one of the Omega Moonwatches popped the crystal)

Quartz watches are great to use for "hit"-sports like Golf, Motorcycling or Trap-shooting where it´s better/reasonable not to have an auto.

Here´s mine with the black dial:)

BUL_3226c1_zps7df90f2a.jpg

BUL_3256_zps1285fbb8.jpg

I'm not a massive fan of quartz watches mainly because to me they will always be compared to their mechanical brothers. It's fun to tinker with mechanicals (sometimes to their detriment) while I can't do that with quartz. The quartz watch that I do have is a gshock, not because it's anything astounding but jesus christ it can take an absolute beating. But different strokes for different folks, if you like quartz, wear them in good health.

Speaking of quartz ran across this one , might pick it up.    The 44x11 is perfect size for me their autos to small and for the price of good rep. :g:

http://www.watchbuys.com/store/pc/Bruno-Sohnle-Glashutte-Lago-Black-Rose-Dial-18p1756.htm

That´s one big find:) And it´s a Glashutte. Thickness at 11mm, small seconds is fine and the seethrough caseback - on a quartz - is quite unique. It´s really got a lot of appeal at that pricetag. The Lago GMT would be an option 4me if it did not have the large ticking second hand.