When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Inherited rolex

Alfalover

I've sent vintage Rolex to service centers and $1,000 later had back "not the watch I wanted". The movement isn't magical or anything and a competent watchmaker can service it just as well as Geneva. The smith named above is excellent and will do good solid work.

If it's CONUS send it registered and insure it for replacement value, if they'll sell that much insurance. It's not that expensive.

Enjoy that watch, it came at some cost. Nobody likes to pay that price. And keep it out of the water, it's earned the right to stay dry by now.

That watch looks to me like a 1503 Date model- either 18k or 14k gold- it is not a shell gold model- caseback is gold as it should be on that model. End links are fine- Rolex does end links on gold bracelets differently than on subs, etc.

There's a guy on VRM- Kirill- that has had some of these watches for sale lately and I bought one- paid $4,000. 14k Date from the 70s. The only bad thing about these watches is that it's hard to get parts for them since Rolex no longer supports or makes parts for the 1500 series movements. Like Panerai says, send it to misiekped and have it serviced and no more scuba diving.

Ditto the above.

I've sent vintage Rolex to service centers and $1,000 later had back "not the watch I wanted". The movement isn't magical or anything and a competent watchmaker can service it just as well as Geneva. The smith named above is excellent and will do good solid work.

If it's CONUS send it registered and insure it for replacement value, if they'll sell that much insurance. It's not that expensive.

Enjoy that watch, it came at some cost. Nobody likes to pay that price. And keep it out of the water, it's earned the right to stay dry by now.

I'm looking for a watchsmith in EU. I will keep you guys updated. But I wanted to ask, what do you mean by ''not the watch I wanted?'' 

I'm asking because I want to know what to expect from my watchsmith and what to ask. For example, some say you should get your old watch polished, others say it should stay as it is since it is a vintage watch. What do you people think?

I contacted SSTEEL but unfortunately he is only certified to work on swiss ETAs :(

Any other watchsmiths you know? They've asked 600€ near my place, servicing, crystal replacement and gaskets I guess. But I'd obviously prefer someone we all know and not ''leap in the dark '' like we say in my country

Sorry I couldn't help, but as said, I am only trained to service ETA by TSG.

What Nanuq meant was when you send a watch to Rolex, they are prone to doing things that you didn't specify or didn't want done.

Polishing is a personal choice you have to make. My preference would be to go for a light polish- it takes off the oxidation and brightens the gold- this is a dress watch so you want it to look nice- or at least I do.

Hi guys, got the watch checked. It is a 18K full gold. Looking around, the vast majority are 14k or gold shell/plated. I was asked 450€ and 14 weeks by Domi, and 600€ by a local and respected (on forums) watchsmith. Domi said he will use good quality non OEM rolex crystals as they are not available. Will this reduce its value? I have to ask the local watchsmith what he will use. What could the value of the watch be? Once repaired and serviced?

Thanks guys, you've really guided me through, I'm sure I'll be a happy 1503 owner in the end

Edited by Alfalover

Alfa, if you need i can give you the contact of a friend of mine that works inside the official reseller in Milano and you can agree with him

About the timing and the price for what you need.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

The shop is Pisa in montenapoleone

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Paul Altieri will probably take it off your hands but at a slightly lower price than open market.

What you could do, if time is not a factor, is take whatever their offer amount is and put it on eBay with that amount as the reserve, and see what happens.

https://www.bobswatches.com/rolex-blog/rolex-info/vintage-week-rolex-date-reference-1503.html

http://www.oedvintage.com/en/rolex-date-34mm-18k-solid-gold-ref-1503.html

http://www.thehouseofsolidgold.com/rolex-oyster-perpetual-date-1503-in-18k-rose-gold-for-men-extremely-rare/  -- they want $16k because it's rose gold

http://www.chrono24.com/en/rolex/date--id3898499.htm  - $5,700

I'd venture between $5,500 and $6,200 from what I've seen...

Mine is 18k not 14k, how much could it be worth?

Are you sure the head is 18K? the dates are usually 14. The bracelet could be 18 fitted on a 14k case. Hallmark is a skirrel. Anyways : I really advise you go to your nearest RSC. For a gold model, fee in France was 500 euros last time I went. Then, you have papers in the form of the warranty card that will help you selling it the correct price.

Edited by rolojack

Hello! I'm sure, on the back of the case there is a clear 18k engraved, where others say 14k. Having found only 14k around I had thought it could be worth a little more, am I wrong? None the less, I'll ask bob'swatches what they offerB)

Engraved? Should be stamped.... 18K is better, rare indeed as most ofter medium sizes were in 14. Nice inheritence !!!!! Let us know what happens next

Engraved? Should be stamped.... 18K is better, rare indeed as most ofter medium sizes were in 14. Nice inheritence !!!!! Let us know what happens next

Sure! I said engraved just because I'm a technical-word noob hahaha

I will surely post pictures as soon as it comes back from service!

I have always wanted an 116613 but could never afford it. Now that I have this watch I would like to sell it and buy an 116613lb. But the prices of the new models, such as the one I want, are increasing every year. They say vintage models are increasing too, but will my date increase in resale value? Will it keep up with the 116613 or will the gap grow bigger and bigger? This is important to me because it could make the difference between having to buy now or keeping the watch and selling later.

I don't know about the future value.  If it's solid gold, it'll hold up better in the future.

My only advice is that if you inherited it from a family member you have fond memories of, you might consider keeping it.  I inherited an Omega watch from my grandfather.  It's gold filled and not very valuable, but I imagined when he bought it after getting out of the service.  It's one of the few things I have that directly connect me to him now that he's passed.

Anyway, I'd encourage you to keep it if there's sentimental value attached to it.

• Like 1

Hello, thankyou! unfortunately the one on sale is a 1601, a datejust, while mine is a date. Still trying to find out how much it is worth :g: