When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New Watch and Servicing

WeenFiend

I am in the process of ordering a DSSD from Trusty Time should I go ahead and fork up the extra $120 to have the watch serviced from the get go or wait a while. The movement is a decorated Asian 2836-2.

Thanks, 

Nope. If any TD said that a new watch needed a service I'd be looking for a new TD. I think it's just a way for them to make extra money. As pcardoza said, wear it and service it locally if it needs it. 

2 hours ago, kernow said:

Nope. If any TD said that a new watch needed a service I'd be looking for a new TD.

This is completely wrong. Pretty much every rep coming from China is going to need a service. The movements are notoriously dirty and improperly oiled coming from the factory. It's not worth it on a 21j DG movement, but ETA or ETA clone movements it's definitely a good idea to have done at some point.

As both posters above me have said, I would not have the TD do the service. Get the watch, wear it for awhile, and if you think it's a long term keeper, definitely get it serviced.

3 hours ago, tomhorn said:

This is completely wrong. Pretty much every rep coming from China is going to need a service. The movements are notoriously dirty and improperly oiled coming from the factory. It's not worth it on a 21j DG movement, but ETA or ETA clone movements it's definitely a good idea to have done at some point.

As both posters above me have said, I would not have the TD do the service. Get the watch, wear it for awhile, and if you think it's a long term keeper, definitely get it serviced.

Not for me. Any 'new' movement shouldn't need a service. If it's a reclaimed ETA then yes of course it will. All my new Asian ETA have been fine. 

I agree with Tom. Most are dry and dirty. Find a reliable watchsmith locally or at least in your country and when it becomes erratic, have it serviced. Any good watchsmith can do a service on and ETA or ETA clone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't know where everyone is getting their watches from, but I've never gotten a new rep thast needed service. Being a former watchmaker I do look carefully at the movement once I get it, but never has one needed service whe it arrived. I have a number of reps that have served faithfully and accurately for years with never a service. They still run fine and keep great time.

That said...I have bought one or two gens that were in dire need of servicing when bought. 

Yeah, but Mike: a few for you could mean 5,6,7 etc and at the rate you buy them that's about 0.000001% lol

I'll expand on what I said. Any watch coming from a TD with a 'new' movement I'd not  automatically have serviced. If it keeps good time then just use it as is. A Swiss ETA has probably been cobbled together from a bunch of old bits and of course it will need a service. I'd still not have the TD do it, but I'd find someone local whom I trust. There's no point spending an additional 30-50% of the cost price of the watch servicing it until you know that it needs it. Hell, that goes for gens too.

There's two camps in the servicing department: those who service according to the OEM and those who service it when it needs it i.e. when it doesn't keep good time.

Again, any TD saying you NEED to get it serviced straight away and that they can provide this at an additional cost I'd steer clear of. 

" Yeah, but Mike: a few for you could mean 5,6,7 etc and at the rate you buy them that's about 0.000001% lol "  Not as many as you might think as I buy M2M for myself and raffles 90% of the time as the bugs have been worked out or in a few cases seller sold with a disclosed problem then off to Misiekeped they go.  I do agree though service only if buggered and on a Swiss ETA might be a good idea in almost all cases.

Kernow, I agree. I emphasize, erratic behavior. Stops, starts, loses or gains time ( not 10 seconds, but minutes/ day). Very low power reserve, etc. Brand new ETA, Sellita, Seagull, movements that came sealed from the factory shouldn't' need a service for quite a few years. Older ETA's like the 2846's even if they are NOS, taken out of a watch that still has the tags and never worn are at least 20 years old. They need a service, as the lubricants are pretty much all dried out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk