When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Why Some Poeple Get So Much Money For Modifications?

t

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would do mods if I knew how to do it myself and it really improved the look of the watch, but to pay hundreds of dollars to someone else to do it on a $200 watch that is fake no matter what you mod on it? NEVER :yucky:

All my watches tell the time - thus I cannot see why they are called fake watches? Perhaps you can say it is a fake panerai, but fake watch - nope.

I like my fake panerai to glow in the dark and to tell the correct time. Thus a service and lume make sense to me.

it's my hobby and i do it for fun and enjoy it :)

if i had taken all the money i've spent on hunting for and buying and restoring vintage seiko's and on gens and on buying ad modding and trading and selling reps and put it in a mutual fund i would have more money.

duh...

i could say the same about knives and motorcycles and art too.

it's not an investment, it's supposed to be fun!

i mod my watches and other member's watches for the fun of it. it's a hobby! i enjoy making things better than they came. it's my favorite hobby. it's very satisfying to build something so close to the genuine that most AD cannot tell even. plus the flaws bug me :Jumpy: i cannot stare at a recessed cannon or weak lume.

So, in the end, I believe that a watch is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it.

The true is out there... and will make us free :D This is the real true... If you have the money, and it makes you feel better, go and do it, whenever you won't hurt anyone.

My 2 cents:

The answer to tourb's initial question would be:

ART.

I am not into PAM but if I was offered a nice PAM on a leather strap with the exact movement as the original, same mag etc etc. Then I would buy it.

Even if it is 600 US, simply for the reason of admiring the craftmanship.

That people are capable of producing the 99.99 % of the same quality & design for les then 10% of the costs.

I asked me the same question everytime...

Man,its like a fever....

You get a nice watch,and than it goes his way.....

This is wrong and thats bad,what can i do to make it better?

For me is the reason Fun to work on it.

At the end you have a unique Timepiece,a rep of course but after hours of work

you love it more than a gen one ...

I know, stupid intension,but who cares?

We are all freaky,but we love it....

All my watches tell the time - thus I cannot see why they are called fake watches? Perhaps you can say it is a fake panerai, but fake watch - nope.

I like my fake panerai to glow in the dark and to tell the correct time. Thus a service and lume make sense to me.

I stand corrected, Reps.. not fake. I hate using the word fake but I was trying to make my point. Now.. with this new date mag 1:1 that has been found for $35.. that's a mod I won't hesitate to pay someone to do if I can't do myself. Nothing worse than having to squint to see what the date is!!!

why do people pay 10.000$ to make their 500 HP car 10 HP faster

Precisely. This post isnt answering the rhetorical question, but using it as an example.....

I spent god knows how much on my old civic vti, it went faster than it did when i first bought it, but for all the money I spent I could well have bought a quicker car in the first place. It was a hobby, something I enjoyed.

With modding, I see it as something I employ in everything I do in life. You start with something, a possession, or an activity and make it better and more effective. Its fuilfilling when you look back at how object x or activity x used to be, and how it has progressed to where it is today.

So back to the original post, people spend so much money on mods as it allows us improve the watch and see it progress from being accurate, to very accurate, and sometimes indistinguishable from the gen, for a fraction of the price. Each person may have a different motive to do such a thing, but ultimately, the same motivation in the sense of enjoyment and achivement.

In 'getting' alot of money for mods, I don't think this is the case. The amount of work and precision that goes into various mods, I think it is a very reasonable price for a great service!

i mod my watches and other member's watches for the fun of it. it's a hobby! i enjoy making things better than they came. it's my favorite hobby. it's very satisfying to build something so close to the genuine that most AD cannot tell even. plus the flaws bug me :Jumpy: i cannot stare at a recessed cannon or weak lume.

Exactly my feeling. Rep collecting+modding=one wicked hobby. Thank the Chinese for leaving out so much room for improvement on the reps, creating this hobby that sucks up so much money and time and gives so much pleasure. It will go down in history as the fifth Chinese great invention.

Edited by bklm1234

• 1 month later...
but... come on friends

ANYONE of you... (maybe :bleh: ) do all this mods... to saying: YES it is genuine.. or will that other people think it is genuine if they look on your wrist???

NOT ANY???

realy???

:g:

I have yet to mod any of my reps but I am thinking about it, Why? because i want them to look 99% real, all of my current reps are as close to the real thing as possible. I don't want to own anything that is obvious to someone that it is fake.

I know most people on here have said that if they are asked if their rep was fake, they would say yes........but not me, and i have no problem saying this either, if someone asks me if any of my reps are fake, I would say no, it's genuine.

Has anyone asked me if they are fake, nope, not once, but I guess its because of my profession and fact that i can afford the genuine of all the reps I have.

So, to sum it up, why mod, to make it look more genuine.

Guest RiverwindMDS
I asked me the same question everytime...

Man,its like a fever....

You get a nice watch,and than it goes his way.....

This is wrong and thats bad,what can i do to make it better?

For me is the reason Fun to work on it.

At the end you have a unique Timepiece,a rep of course but after hours of work

you love it more than a gen one ...

I know, stupid intension,but who cares?

We are all freaky,but we love it....

I think it in the same way...

Personally I can see spending $$$ on a relume as that means your watch now works in the dar which is a big plus for me...

But other mods (like lugh hole drilling and CG shaping) I can see as questionable also...

Here's the real nitty gritty though... this argument can be extended in both directions for a lot of things, but in watches I am sure we have all come up against the argument "Why would you spend $150 on a watch even if it looks like a $10k watch when you can get a decent looking watch for $10 at walmart that tells time much more accurately, has a stopwatch and date function as well as others, is waterproof etc etc..."

My answer to why people spend $$$ on mods... because it's worth it to them.

No investment arguing, no quantifying, no cost benefit analysis... because they want to... they spent $150+ on a watch because they wanted to... they could have told time accurately for much less... so if it makes THEM happy to have a canon pin fixed or a dial aged... well then money well spent.

You can also look at it like this..

You can tell me how unimportant any detail is and how much my watch is still fake no matter what I do to it... and you know what that matters in the end? Not one bit... because if it still bothers me, it doesn't matter that it's miniscule to someone else. If I feel better about it, being fake has nothing to do with it. That's why when people tell me stuff like "99% of the people out there won't know and the other 1% will know it's fake even if you fix it" I think "And what's your point? What do I care about 100% of the people out there? I care about me. I didn't buy watches for other people, I bought it for me, and if it bothers me that's 100% of the people I care about it bothering." So if I spend money fixing whatever problem I percieve to make myself happier and satisfy the one person who really counts to me then I think that's a pretty good investment.

And yes it's an investment. I know, I know, investments appreciate, liabilties depreciate. Well let me ask you, how much is happiness worth? To me it's worth infinitely lots... so if I spend $10, $100, $1000 and I get happy from the results didn't my investment just appreciate infinitely?

Let me ask this: What better use of your money could you think of than to make yourself happy?

I can think of none...

I spend money on a regular basis on frivolous stuff that others don't understand or even berate me for... who am I impressing? Me. Can I logically explain to you why it makes me happy? Maybe, maybe not. And you konw what? It's still worth every penny :)

very well said :thumbsupsmileyanim:

hey guys

thank you for all your opinions

but... come on friends

ANYONE of you... (maybe :bleh: ) do all this mods... to saying: YES it is genuine.. or will that other people think it is genuine if they look on your wrist???

NOT ANY???

realy???

:g:

there are certainly those out there - noobies listen up - , but I doubt that you find them under the more experienced posters here - I walked into dealerships before and after the sales rep admired my replica I tell him everytime that it is a replica...I just love the look on their faces :whistling:

no one is going to give a [censored] about my canon pin or my swissmade touching the 6.

Those mods are 100% for me!!!

I am 100% with you :thumbsupsmileyanim:

My 2 cents:

The answer to tourb's initial question would be:

ART.

I am not into PAM but if I was offered a nice PAM on a leather strap with the exact movement as the original, same mag etc etc. Then I would buy it.

Even if it is 600 US, simply for the reason of admiring the craftmanship.

That people are capable of producing the 99.99 % of the same quality & design for les then 10% of the costs.

I still don't think that there is any replica that comes 99.99% close to the craftsmenship, quality etc....not out of the box

I wear reps to fool myself. In this respect, I like to fix any 'errors' I can see.

same here ;)

I've done these calculations hunderds of times and always come up with the same answer...it's not worth it. The only watch I would consider modifying would be an MBW but for the cost of the watch and the standard modifications, you're looking at close to a grand. There are too many genuines, great looking genuines, in that price range.

I think the mods phenominon is an extension of chasing the holy grail here of getting a watch that no one would know from a genuine for a fraction of the cost. I think the chase is folly. For what it would cost for me to build a frankenmariner from the MBW start, including finding a 3135 movement, I could buy a 10 year old sub on ebay.

I love my reps but I have no illusions that they are genuines, dispite the addition of factory equipment.

I've done these calculations hunderds of times and always come up with the same answer...it's not worth it. The only watch I would consider modifying would be an MBW but for the cost of the watch and the standard modifications, you're looking at close to a grand. There are too many genuines, great looking genuines, in that price range.

I think the mods phenominon is an extension of chasing the holy grail here of getting a watch that no one would know from a genuine for a fraction of the cost. I think the chase is folly. For what it would cost for me to build a frankenmariner from the MBW start, including finding a 3135 movement, I could buy a 10 year old sub on ebay.

I love my reps but I have no illusions that they are genuines, dispite the addition of factory equipment.

That is a fair and level headed assessement, but as I am sure you know, this is not necessarily a level-headed hobby for everyone. People mod, or have their wathces modded, because they enjoy doing so.. they see the modding process and associated cost as being a part of the "collector" experience. It is no more rational than lot's of other activites collectors undertake. In that it is proably a more visceral thing for people, I am not sure the motivation and satisfaction derived by these people can necessarily be explained in terms of weather or not it is worth it. I have thought about it and may yet do some stuff but at present I am having a hard time with the "it is not worth it" thing myself. Still, whatever floats your boat.

That is a fair and level headed assessement, but as I am sure you know, this is not necessarily a level-headed hobby for everyone. People mod, or have their wathces modded, because they enjoy doing so.. they see the modding process and associated cost as being a part of the "collector" experience. It is no more rational than lot's of other activites collectors undertake. In that it is proably a more visceral thing for people, I am not sure the motivation and satisfaction derived by these people can necessarily be explained in terms of weather or not it is worth it. I have thought about it and may yet do some stuff but at present I am having a hard time with the "it is not worth it" thing myself. Still, whatever floats your boat.

".....welcome aboard oh chef of da future.....

Hey, I remember 25 years ago putting an oil pressure gauge, water temp gague and a tach in the dashboard of my dodge colt. I thought it looked great. No one could tell me I was putting earings on a pig.

Mod guys are great...I agree...it's just not for me. I've got real watches to blow my money on.

".....welcome aboard oh chef of da future.....

Hey, I remember 25 years ago putting an oil pressure gauge, water temp gague and a tach in the dashboard of my dodge colt. I thought it looked great. No one could tell me I was putting earings on a pig.

Mod guys are great...I agree...it's just not for me. I've got real watches to blow my money on.

"... zip, zip, the modern way..."