When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

UNIX Help Needed ASAP

freddy333

How do I disconnect foreign IP tcp connections on a BSD UNIX server?

I know there is a command (tcpdrop or something like that???) that does this, but I cannot remember what it is or how to use it?

Although they do not appear to have actually logged-in or gained access, I am seeing a great deal of unusual activity on a server that generally sees very little activity. A who or w shows I am the only person logged-in, but netstat reveals 2 foreign IPs that should not be there

ips 003.jpg

Thanks, but I am ahead of you. I finally got rid of them by rebooting the server and blocking them via the firewall, but I know there is a much simpler/quicker way to disconnect an IP (via tcpdrop or similar?) in real-time & without having to stop the network or reboot. Anyone?

1 hour ago, Nanuq said:

And true multi threading with process persistence.

Translation: UNIX is a tool and Windows is a toy.

I prefer toys that work, so none of mine run Windoze 

Windows is based on MS DOS

MS DOS is based on QDOS which stands for quick and dirty operating system. It was and still is a hacked together bodge job. The kernel is still not stable after 36 years.

Hence operation critical machines tend to,avoid using it.

Lots of industrial stuff uses windows NT, especially for event loggers and data servers. I would think keeping aircraft in the air would be a good example of where to use redundancy: two or more different operating systems each using different software, nothing happens unless the outputs on all systems are the same. If not a warning is flashed up and the system is halted, paused or put into a loop in a safe state. 

Personally I just don't trust windows not to freeze, glitch, loose data or go blue screen.