When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Getting Inside The Chanel J12

Devedander

181583-7140.jpg

Getting inside the J12 Full Ceramic

So a while back I got one of the cheap, enamel painted J12s to see how the GF liked it, at the price for a quartz itseemed like it made sense to get a feel for it before purchasing the full ceramic, especially since I don’t think I will find a gen to check out anywhere locally…

She liked it a lot and so I have sprung for a full ceramic one. Being as how she will be abusing it at work a lot I decided the prudent thing to do was go for the mid grade model, not stainless coated in ceramic, but also not necessarily the super expensive one either.

For just over $200 including a box set this seemed like a good value and being quartz at least I could be assured it would keep good time.

181583-7141.jpg

Note the box is not shown in much detail as it arrived damaged in a lot of places.

So out of the box impressions are the watch is very nice indeed! Despite lacking the last firing step to bring it to the highest level of ceramic shine I can’t say I have any problem with the appearance of this piece at all. The white seems to be decently even over the entirety and with the exception of a tiny brown spot on the case it seems pretty blemish free.

181583-7142.jpg

The watch is surprisingly heavy for a quartz, obviously due to the weight of ceramic, and I think this is emphasized even more by the white color which makes it look almost like a light plastic. On the wrist it has a great feel (yes I did try it on :p) and you can tell it’s a ceramic at first touch. This is the mid grade one so the final firing/polishing step has not been applied to this one (apparently accounts for the price difference) as you can see it's still plenty shiny and for the price I am very satisfied.

181583-7143.jpg

The bracelet has a fair bit of play in it, looser than most SS bracelets. It doesn’t make it feel bad or anything and still looks just fine on the wrist.

181583-7144.jpg

The diamonds are laid neatly in good rows and are held in at all four corners so it appears they should be pretty secure. Sadly the diamonds are inlaid deeply enough that no light is getting behind them so the fire is pretty minimal… again not sure how the gen fairs in this area but I am not sure I can think of a way to have mounted them to allow more light around them and maintain a secure hold for something that will take a beating like a watch…

181583-7145.jpg

That said under some reasonably bright lights (store lighting lets say) the diamonds do shine and sparkle enough to catch the eye. I would assume someone who knows their jewelry would spot it as a cz in no time, but to the average Joe I am sure they will pass as normal mid to low grade diamonds (I doubt anyone will be checking for flaws in watch diamonds).

The dial is also done quite well with the numbers being solid and deep (these are actually 3D, not just drawn on the dial and look to be about 1mm tall). The contrast of the deep, rich black of the numbers against all the white/ss is very eye pleasing in a professional and reserved way. What dial printing there is is quite decent with no obvious issues in quality.

181583-7146.jpg

And the date font faces outwards to match the numbers on this model which I believe is correct.

181583-7147.jpg

The contrast between the diamonds mounted on the SS bezel to the white ceramic and well defined dial really sets off the watch nicely. It’s got a great balance of understated beauty and bling… it doesn’t stick out like an iced grill but it catches the eye and on closer inspection doesn’t fail to impress!

The clasp has the proper spring clasp and functions smoothly. It's got a nice strong spring without being difficult to open, although if you aren’t careful it might pinch the wrist a bit… The caseback has a nice arc to it and is very comfortable;I believe the engravings are appropriate and correct.

181583-7148.jpg

181583-7149.jpg

Sizing the bracelet is quite straight forward. It uses a pin system which is a bit odd looking at first but is very easy to work with. You can see a small hole in the side of the “pin”, simply insert the pin pusher and the other side will pop out a bit. After about a half an inch both sides are easy to remove by hand. The pictures should make it pretty obvious how it works.

181583-7150.jpg

181583-7151.jpg

181583-7152.jpg

Getting everything back together is a little nerve wracking as you have to hammer against the ceramic but the fit and finish was good enough that things went back together smoothly.

A note the bracelet I would estimate would be tight on a 7 inch wrist… with 2 links out it’s tight (but just fits) my 6.5 wrists.

Generally everything is seems great about this watch right out of the box… however a little digging does reveal a few unpleasantries…

First off is removing the bracelet. While you are not likely to need to do this, it was a HUGE pain for me when I did… and it comes hand in hand with the other, and much more worrisome, issue… the caseback does not seal with the case.

I took the caseback off as I wanted to lube the gasket for a little extra water resistance as the GF wears this to work and washer her hands often) and just to peek inside (yeah I know, real interesting… a quartz movement and a spacer… weee).

8 small screws are all that holds it together (no need for a caseback tool, just a small screwdriver) and once those are out the movement literally falls out of the case… that’s because the caseback and movement hold together around the case, you can see this in the pictures, so as soon as the caseback is loose from the movement it just drops right out the front.

Fortunately for me I was working close to my table so no damage, and I can’t really imagine this being an issue under normal conditions, but good to bear in mind.

The insides are nothing particularly interesting… ceramic case, movement etc…

181583-7153.jpg

The gasket in this case is difficult to get to while the caseback is attached to the case and the bracelet prevents the caseback from coming off freely so I removed the bracelet.

The springbars are nice and fat and have a solid spring feel to them. I am glad as I wouldn’t want some wussy springbar sending this ceramic case to the floor… getting them out was a snap, just insert springbar tool, push, remove end link repeat.

181583-7154.jpg

At this point the caseback is still wedged into the case by the little feet where the springbars go into. Note the case itself has recessed areas where the springbar goes in, but they are recessed in semi spheres so as to stay out of the way of the spring bar, I assume they don’t want the brittle ceramic bearing the force of the spring bar and stress from the wrist/watch pushing on it. The springbars go only into the little holes in the feet of the caseback which in turn wedge into the case and hold the caseback on.

Getting the caseback off is a bit scary as I had to push it out with my thumbs much like popping a crystal out… I was very worried I would break the case at this point but fortunately no such bad luck. I would always be careful here though, you don’t want to snap the case…

181583-7155.jpg

After getting it all apart I got the gasket out, lubed it and went to put it all back together…

This is where things got ugly.

First off, when putting the caseback on I noticed something startling… I could see light between the edge of the caseback and the case!!! It does not fit properly! The case back is simply too narrow and the case thus has a gap as a result!

181583-7156.jpg

181583-7157.jpg

181583-7158.jpg

This obviously means it’s VERY easy for water to get in this far. Now fortunately the movement I think is still pretty well sealed in from the back due to how the gasket fits against the caseback, but this is worrisome to me nonetheless as it seems that it’s just asking for water to get into the crown tube…

I asked the dealer about this and was informed that reps simply aren’t water resistant and this is just how it’s made… not great news but if that’s how it is I guess that’s how it is…

I think this can be fixed by patching the gap with some sort of waterproof stuff from the inside where it won’t be easily seen… any ideas on what to use are welcome.

And in case you are wondering, this has nothing to do with installing the caseback the wrong way, no matter which orientation you use the gap exists…

Anyhow, caseback back on, next up was to install the bracelet again. This should be pretty easy right? Nope… the little holes in the metal feet of the caseback are at the very edge of the range they can be at and still have the springbars fit… this means you really have to fight to get them to fit in and I was scared the whole time again I was going to break the case.

My advice (and I am not taking them out again to test this advice) is to install the bracelet BEFORE putting the caseback back on the case. I think this will make it much easier overall, in the end I spent over half an hour fighting the springbars and finally got one to fit while on the case and one to fit while off the case, then snapped into place…

All done resizing and the GF loves it, it's a nice step up from her painted one (I will try to get sa wrist shot but she is asleep now so it would be kind of weird for me to slip in and start taking pictures... then again maybe I could make some money....)

Speaking of, sorry for some of the questionable quality pictures... I tried but I need to get some kind of lightbox... either way lots of our dealers have excellent pictures on their sites to check out.

Anyhow, hope you enjoyed my writeup and if you have any suggestions on what to patch the case gap up with, please let me know!

WONDERFUL review! Hope she enjoys it! :):thumbsupsmileyanim:

Whenever you have a chance, could you post a close up shot of the movement? Would love to have a closer look, Thanks! :)

I will consider it but the fiasco I went through opening it up before is not making me really want to do it again... anything in particular you want to see about it? It's just a quartz movement so all you will see is a batter and a capacitor or something... you can see most of what's the see here

181799-7047.jpg

Thanks for the comments and compliments! I take plenty of value from these forums, hope to add some back when I get the chance... didn't realize how long that chance was gonna take... my hat's off to By Tor and his reviews... those must be days of his life he put into writing :black_eye:

@sammalone good stuff... yeah if I open it again I will take more shots, there are lots of pics that didn't make the review (sadly my lighting setup is poor and my hobbie room is effectionately named the "garbage room" for a reason so getting good shots is not easy...

@tonton thanks! I appreciate it!

@phoband This is indeed a sweet watch, however the diamonds are what makes it for me... I just don't feel the non diamonds ones so much... the funny thing is this still has the rotating bezel even though there is no way the diamonds help you figure out any sort of timekeeping :)

The funny thing is I was in Kohls (or maybe target) and saw some watches that looked very similar... same design but I am pretty sure it was plastic... funny the designer knockoffs you can find out there...

This is indeed a sweet watch, however the diamonds are what makes it for me... I just don't feel the non diamonds ones so much... the funny thing is this still has the rotating bezel even though there is no way the diamonds help you figure out any sort of timekeeping :)

How tight is the bezel? The bezel on my girlfriend's watch is loose (turns very easily, and can be rocked back and for quite easily).

How tight is the bezel? The bezel on my girlfriend's watch is loose (turns very easily, and can be rocked back and for quite easily).

It seems pretty tight... clicks and holds each click like my sub rep does... I will check it again when I get home but I didn't get the feeling it was loose at all...

@Ubi, thanks for the compliment! I like to give back to the community that has given me so much :)

Fantastic review! Can anyone tell me what "tells" there are to differentiate between the genuine j12 auto and a rep? I'm asking because i was given a j12 auto from a friend who found it, he knows i'm into watches , and seeing as it cost him nothing he decided to just give me it lol. Any help is hugely appreciated. ( sorry to jump on another's thread too )

Great review. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

For waterproofing, what about making a gasket to seal the watch? You can get very thin rubber foam (or even high-china paper, if need be) and cut it to the exact shape of the caseback and insert it between the caseback and the ceramic for a tight seal.

Hmmm... the gap is rather sizeable but perhaps foam would be doable... now that I think about it perhaps even some foamy tape... I have some double sided foam tape I will try to make a cheap one out of for a test... considering it seems the movement is safe from water, maybe the tape would suffice to keep the majority out and also provide a decent filter for airflow as per The Zigmeister...

Unfortunately this all means taking the caseback off again which probably involves the bracelet... ack....

I prefer to rock the woman back and forth.

I'll get my coat....!