When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Which Watches Are Widely Considered To Be "classics" Among W I S

Mark Eleven

Which watches are widely considered to be "classics" among WIS? I believe many would probably agree that Omega Speedmaster and Rolex Sub are watches that all WIS "must have" in their collection.

What other watches do you consider to be "classics" and to be included in your collection as a WIS? (I'm referring to both rep or gen).

Edited by Mark Eleven

I don't think that anyone can claim that any watch is a requirement for membership in the WIS charter. Look over at PMWF, and you'll find many savants...Most of them don't collect replicas, and many don't own a watch over $1000.

I believe many would agree with me that Omega Speedmaster and Rolex Sub are watches that all WIS must have in their collection.

What other watches do you think that must be included in a WIS's collection? (I'm referring to both rep or gen).

I think if you are a WIS, the true must have (or holy grail) is a watch with the El Primero movement. Also, I'm not sure any rep is a "must have" in a WIS's collection, although certainly many WIS's own and enjoy reps. To me, gens and reps are like cars and motorcycles. Someone who is into one is often into the other, but there's no requirement that it be so.

Fiddy...

A standard for any collection...

TT

187131-5623.jpg

I really wish I could wear the Fiddy... I've tried on three separate occasions to purchase/wear and keep them, but they're just too silly on me :(

I reckon the SMP Pro blue is a must have, at least for a rep WIS

I always ask myself "Will it see wrist time or not?" when I'm thinking about purchasing a new watch. There are lots of models that I really like... like TAG Carrera, Bell & Ross, ExpII, Railmaster and Mont Blanc GMT, but I don't think I'll purchase one.

Navi is a legendary watch model. But as much as I like the Navi... it just never felt "right" on my wrist. I really like the Carrera too, but I think the design is maybe a bit too ordinary... and the wrist presence probably wouldn't be that impressive. It's just the "gut feeling" I have.

Best advice is to go to the AD and try different watches. Then buy a rep. It's impossible to give advice to others... It's like asking "what music I should buy?" Never buy any watch just because you "think you should own one".

I am not a WIS and I doubt this is a watch anyone is likely to be getting for their collection (even the Smithsonian displays a rep), so I hope I am not speaking out of line here but as far as a watch I would want for more than aesthetic value, I would love to have one of these

187142-5620.jpg

As much as I agree with the whole "soul" of a mechanical watch, there is something to be said about the first consumer level stab at the heart of the mechanical world...

And one that IS attainable (kind of) that I think would be a nice addition to any collection is also a Seiko

187142-5621.jpg

Almost a full circle, a meeting of the realms of the quartz and mechanical worlds...

Edited by Devedander

I'll re-phrase the question. I'm not referring to any watches that MUST be in anybody's collection,... one man's meat is another man's poison....

What I meant was which watches are widely considered to be "classics" among forumers here as WIS?

IMHO, I'll put Omega Speedmaster Pro and Rolex Sub for their long history.

Which other watches would you consider "classics" that you'd put in your collection?

Edited by Mark Eleven

watches are widely considered to be "classics" among forumers here as WIS?

I don't consider myself a WIS, and I don't own any watches that a WIS would deem essential as a replica wouldn't suit the purpose: the point of a classic is the mechanics, surely.

However, historically, I would count the MoonWatch and a 1680 Sub or 1665 Sea-dweller. More recently, I would count an IWC Titanium chrono, like the Porsche, GST or Aquatimer, purely for the ground-breaking titanium design, and the fact I'm an IWC fan. I'm unconvinced a WIS would go for a modern PAM, as the older ones are where the history is, but I can see them going for the Seiko Spring Drive and an Omega Co-Axial, like the PO, unusually. And yes, maybe a Zenith El Primero, if only they made good-looking ones back in the day, instead the WIS would be more likely to get a Daytona.

So, yes, of the mass-produced available watches, it's all rolex, omega and seiko. :blink:

However, I'd bet if you asked them, they'd be all Blancpain, Breguet, etc.

Now, rephounds are different, and we need a Panerai, a Sub, a Meega and a nod to a dress watch somewhere.

PAM 111h

PAM 212

Fiddy

Breitling Navitimer

Breitling Chrono Avenger

Breitling Chronomat Evolution

IWC GST (Ti)

IWC F.A. Jones

IWC Big Pilot (when it comes out in improved version)

Sub

Daytona

Omega Seamaster Chronograph

Omega Planet Ocean

Usil

Edited by Usil

Mark, that would be a huge list to cover them all. :)

A small sample:

Heuer: All the pre-Tag models and highly collectible and have a cult following specially, the Carrera & Steve McQueen or anything with the VJ-72. The Tag Heuer 1964 re-editions are also collectible & cosidered classics. Interestingly, one of the most collectible Carreras is a blue sub- dial model manufactured by Heuer exclusively for Abercrombie & Fitch.

Omega- Seamaster 300. A classic diver and father of the PO.

Tudor: Specially the plastic crystal Submariners, pre-Tiger Chronos and Monte Carlo. The latter is one rare collectible classic. On a side note, I wonder how Ubi is coming along with the Monte Carlo project. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Zenith- De Luca-Marvelous chrono with the El Primero which bears a very strong resemblance to the Daytona. These things are skyrocketing in value. Anthing vintage with the El Primero is highly sought after.

Jaeger Le Coultre-Memovox and Reverso. These are the JLC hallmarks.

IWC-Anything with the caliber 89.

Cartier-Tank Francaise. Instantly recognizeable as a Cartier.

Breitling-Vintage chronos with plastic crystal.

Reps:

TW Best 16610-Discontinued.

Pam 029 & 063 with the 2893-2 movement. Specially the fist editions with correct case back-Discontinued.

Omega Seamaster and 40th Anniversary 007 from the old factory-Discontinued.

Pam 196 with the old accurate case & ETA 7753-Discontinued

TW Best GMT Master with 2893-2- not an easy find

Breitling-Massive Titanium case beast-Discontinued.

Planet Ocean- 42mm plus 45mm ultimate- Available. :)

... and a manual Unitas movement? What's that all about?

I was going to suggest PAM is like Range Rover - a utilitarian device that has taken on fashion status and grown into a parody of what it was for people who completely missed the point. But it isn't even like that, it's more like the Hummer pastiches built on humble road car chassis ie. no real pedigree at all....

Reps:

TW Best 16610-Discontinued.

Pam 029 & 063 with the 2893-2 movement. Specially the fist editions with correct case back-Discontinued.

Omega Seamaster and 40th Anniversary 007 from the old factory-Discontinued.

Pam 196 with the old accurate case & ETA 7753-Discontinued

TW Best GMT Master with 2893-2- not an easy find

Breitling-Massive Titanium case beast-Discontinued.

Planet Ocean 45mm ultimate- Available. :)

IWC GST Chrono, discontinued but some still available

Omega Moonwatch (ST19, domed crystal), discontinued but some still available

an MBW, for better or worse.

I think it depends on the WIS. There is a whole school of folks who focus only on movements and as such 99% of what we buy rep or gen would not qualify. Rolex has largely not done anything original since 1999 (in-house Daytona movement), PAM just came up with their first dedicated movement (8 days) which looks to me to be a mod of the Jaeger LeCoultre movement). You get my drift.

I think it depends on the WIS. There is a whole school of folks who focus only on movements and as such 99% of what we buy rep or gen would not qualify. Rolex has largely not done anything original since 1999 (in-house Daytona movement), PAM just came up with their first dedicated movement (8 days) which looks to me to be a mod of the Jaeger LeCoultre movement). You get my drift.

Yeah, there ain't very many WIS's 'round here, sadly. Real WIS's, at least as I understand the term, actually understand FP Journe's ad copy, for example, which I bet not too many folks who frequent this board do. In the general watch community the WIS "honor" is reserved for people who not only know all various variations of esoteric watches, but how they work, too.

The good news is that there are dozens of dudes who's cumulative knowledge comes pretty close to rep omniscience. As far as classics, go, it's a matter of taste: My #1 is the Muller Crazy Hours, which seems to be no longer made. Nearly 1:1 in the versions that the gen was made in SS, and pretty damn reliable for an asian movement further messed with by a rep factory.

I don't consider myself a WIS, and I don't own any watches that a WIS would deem essential as a replica wouldn't suit the purpose: the point of a classic is the mechanics, surely.

@Scoop

You may not be a WIS...

But you're definitely a PIS...

:bleh:

TT