When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Don't Try To Pop The Bezel Of A Noobmariner

bklm1234

tried that and needed 5 stitches

the noobmariner's bezel construction is different from traditional sub bezel which is narrower and held by a angled wire and can be popped out easily by prying a razor blade between it and the case. I still don't know how noob's bezel is attached to the case 'cause I still couldn't frigging get it off yet and I'm not trying anymore.

And then the bezel insert is also different from others. Its bottom is shaped different and it's thicker.

I inadvertently popped the crystal. I realize why the rehaut looks so shallow now. It's because the rubber seal for the crystal is much thicker taking up part of the rehaut and it's not flush with the rehaut. The crystal's edge has a cut-out to fit to the thicker seal. That's why when you look at the noob's rehaut, it looks like it's cut in half, being made of 2 different parts (borrowing by-tor's words), instead of the crystal smoothly merging with the case. I bet if the factory uses the traditional rehaut/crystal/crystal seal construction, the noobmariner will have a deep rehaut like the gen. That'll be pretty scary. But then you still can't mod the CGs unless you can pop the bezel.

-bm

I did manage to trim the cg's on my noobmariner w/o removing the bezel or the case tube. I just used masking tape to protect then both and then worked slowly and in one direction w/ the file and wet/dry sandpaper. I did remove the movement, though.

I've heard horror stories from people who did try to remove the bezel- bending it, etc.

Yep you are right on. I did pop the bezel on mine - it took approx 10 miutes to get it off. I had a big surprise when I got it off. The setup is completely different than the traditional bezel set up. After putting it back on with a new and better bezel insert, the bezel would not turn. When I finally got it off again thinking I would re-install it it would not set in place. It would make a half turn and pop off again. What a mess. So beware the noob bezel. I will post photos so members can see what they have to work with if considering a bezel mod.

Edited by Raijor

Yep you are right on. I did pop the bezel on mine - it took approx 10 miutes to get it off. I had a big surprise when I got it off. The setup is completely different than the traditional bezel set up. After putting it back on with a new and better bezel insert, the bezel would not turn. When I finally got it off again thinking I would re-install it it would not set in place. It would make a half turn and pop off again. What a mess. So beware the noob bezel. I will post photos so members can see what they have to work with if considering a bezel mod.

So you managed to get the bezel off? How did you do that? I'm scared to death to do it again. And then what good is it if the bezel doesn't turn anymore? Have you figured how to fix it? Thanks.

-bm

So you managed to get the bezel off? How did you do that? I'm scared to death to do it again. And then what good is it if the bezel doesn't turn anymore? Have you figured how to fix it? Thanks.

-bm

I've bent two Noobmariner bezels in trying to get them off. My recommendation - if what you're trying to do is get at the insert - would be to remove the movement, and pop the crystal. You'll then have access to the insert and wouldn't need to remove the bezel.

I've bent two Noobmariner bezels in trying to get them off. My recommendation - if what you're trying to do is get at the insert - would be to remove the movement, and pop the crystal. You'll then have access to the insert and wouldn't need to remove the bezel.

If all you're doing is replacing the bezel insert, you may be able to pop it off with a thumbnail. If not, you might be better off sacrificing it to the Gods of Mods by removing it destructively (break off the pearl, put a screwdriver in the pearl hole and lever out) as long as you're careful.

If all you're doing is replacing the bezel insert, you may be able to pop it off with a thumbnail. If not, you might be better off sacrificing it to the Gods of Mods by removing it destructively (break off the pearl, put a screwdriver in the pearl hole and lever out) as long as you're careful.

Might want to try heating it for a minute with a hairdryer, may just fall off. I know heat is bad, but what do you do if you live in the desert it will easily get close to as hot as the hairdryer for a min?

-bm

Do not do what I did - it will lead to nothing but misery. I am left with one option - force the bezel back on. I intend to use vise grips covered with about 1/4 inch of masking tape on each jaw to press it back on. It will be stuck in one place and that will be that.

It took a lot of force to get the bezel off (I pryed it off with utility knife and man was it hard to get off) - I don't know how the maker got it on because that is another really tuff job. I have had the bezel back on twice - if I put it on to allow it to turn it will pop off after half a turn because one side is not completely seated - if I put it so all parts of the bezel are completely seated the bezel will not move and it is stuck solid. Great options eh!

Use my experience as a warning.

Strangely enough, i have had the same problem, well it cam off easily enough, but getting it back on was i nightmare, it will turn though, but only if your name is some thing nordic and attend the worlds strongest man competition!

Here is a photo of my stripped LV. I have discovered why my bezel will not stay on - I warped it when forcing it off the watch. As I mentioned it will not stay on or when forced on it will not move. I am going to attach it with weldbond and be done with it.

To all members with a Noobmariner - pry off the bezel at your peril.

Cheers

post-3935-1170195423_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

I know this is an old post but I have just a bit of info to add to this. The bezel construction in the picture above is exactly the same bezel construction that is in the TW best classic I recieved. with one small but very important difference.

Where the noobmariner has the same spring that the ch subs have, the TW best actually has the same rubber gasket that is used to seal the caseback. if you have and exrta gasket this size lying around try installing the bezel with it instead. It may be a stupid idea but at least I have thrown it out there.

After doing my crown gaurds I bent the bezel trying to put it back on. I went and bought a small electronics vice and a $1 sheet of 1/8 inch hobby rubber to line the plasting jaws.

I then would place the bezel on the tabel top to see where the warp was and then would place small sections in the vice and incrementally bend it back. I took a pic so I willsee if I can load it.

The other thing I noticed as a difference bewtween my new TW best and a CN sub I not is some thing I do not know the name of.

I spent the weekend trying to mod both and f*cked up two inserts trying to shave them down with a dremel but was glad I had the CN to learn on.

Anyway, no matter how muched I shaved the insert I couldn't get it to sit any lower. I finally just placed it on the watch sanz bezel and saw it was hitting the case that retains the crystal gasket and not the angle inthe bezel. The TW crystal gasket and retaining groove is less than half as thick as the CN gasket and groove.

So I popped out the crystal and layed a sheet of 800 grit wet sandpaper on the glass top of our table to keep a smooth suface. I sanded the case top on the paper contastanly turning the case as to keep the pressure distributed evenly. And BAM! now it has a ton of crystal sticks out. But it looks like ass since the crystal in only beveled a tiny bit. But still looks beter than before.