When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The Myth Of Wristsize

RobbieG

I see a lot of folks quoting wrist sizes here and even on the gen forums as a way to measure what watches they can and can't wear. To me wrist size is nearly of no consequence as to how a watch looks on the wearer unless your wrist is REALLY large or small. Of greater importance is the wearer's physical size. I am 5'9" with a slim, athletic build and 160lbs. If I wear a watch that is larger than 44MM it just looks stupid beacuse I am physically fairly compact. Sports watches in the 40-42MM range are ideal for me with 41-42MM being my favorites - all other things being equal. Almost anything in that size is fine for me. The PAM's are OK at 44MM, but not quite ideal really. I get away with it because those watches in particular are supposed to be kind of clunky - it is part of their appeal. My wrist size happens to be 7 1/2", but what does that really matter? Similarly, I have a collector buddy who is 6'2" and 220 lbs with a 6 3/4" wrist. He owns the HUGE gen B&R 46MM giant and wears it on that tiny wrist easily because the watch matches his body size well. So ultimately I feel that overall size and shape of the wearer is the key with wristsize playing a supporting role - not the other way around. In my case my wrist is much larger than I am in proportion, but if I wear that B&R I look like Spongebob's retarded brother. Food for thought and discussion...

I agree that you can't just go by a wrist size.

A narrow or thick wrist can mean that two people with the same wrist measurement may not both be able to wear the same watch and have it look good. I have read others here say that forearm size also has an impact.

The other thing is the the watch. As an example the black 45mm Planet Ocean is said to wear smaller due to the colour of the dial and the round shape of the case. Panies with the squarish shape wear big on the wrist.

Also the type of bracelet or strap makes a difference. I usually find a leather strap makes something seem smaller when I wear it.

Edited by dangerman

i agree. i have a 7.5" wrist and i can wear any huge 50mm watch because i am 6'7" 230lbs so they all look right on me. anything smaller than 38mm looks stupid on me. some wrists are round, some are square, some are more flat and wide (mine) so alot depends.... you have to try things on and see.

6'7"...omgoodness.......and at 230lbs?

you tackling me would be equivalent to me being hit by a light truck....haha jk

wear them well btw!

Of greater importance is the wearer's physical size.

Of even greater importance is physical comportment. If you carry yourself like someone who can wear a big watch, you can wear a big watch.

However, there are minimum wrist sizes to be taken into consideration. No matter how large that linebacker is, if his strap goes inwards under the watch, it's going to look dumb. I refer once more to my diagram:

193168-4456.jpg

If you don't pass this test, there's no point in even considering any others.

Hi,

the size of the watch compared to my wrist was one of my first concern when choosing reps...

I bought a 39 mm Montblanc and a 42 mm TAG... Now my old 37 mm "non rep" looks small everytime I wear it ! :rolleyes:

That's why I definitely agree, appart from this strap matter raised by Pug, the size is less important than how you want to wear it.

I remember Retep telling me I was ridiculous worrying about the size : he was right !!

I met noone telling me I have a huge watch. So...

I fixed mysel a limit at 45 mm. :whistling:

Edited by Pix

Of even greater importance is physical comportment. If you carry yourself like someone who can wear a big watch, you can wear a big watch.

However, there are minimum wrist sizes to be taken into consideration. No matter how large that linebacker is, if his strap goes inwards under the watch, it's going to look dumb. I refer once more to my diagram:

193197-4452.jpg

The first watch is GEN the other two rep...we all see the thicker case on the first one!!He he...BTW nice Pug!!!!

193202-4451.jpg

Your diagram is fine, but this is what I mean by all other things being equal. No watch I have ever worn fits into the #1 or #3 category. What I mean is that as long as the watch sits on your wrist correctly (remember, some wrists are flat on top, some rounded, etc...) physical size is going to determine what works overall. A watch is not a piece of jewelry to me but it has to wrok proportionally with your size and what you are wearing. We haven't even discussed short sleeves vs. long sleeves yet. I think that makes a difference too.

As for whether you can "pull it off", I don't know that I agree with that statement at all. I mean what are we talking about? Confidence? How you walk? Then it is even worse because you are parading around with a clock on your wrist as if to say "look at me, I'm a dumbass who has become a slave to current fashion, hence the big watch"?

For example, I don't like yellow gold but I am known to be able to afford to wear it - bracelet and all - in the circles I move and work in. I think it is obnoxious, so I don't. But what does that have to do with how you carry yourself? Sure, I could wear a solid gold Navi World on a bracelet and no one would question it, but I think I would just look like every other [censored] in my town trying to show everyone how much money he has. BTW, I should start another thread about how I started with reps - because I love hanging with people knowing the joke is on them for spending gobs of money on stuff that is available for less than 1/10th the price. The other day a friend was fondling my new GMT that I bought for $200 and then he went to the AD and bought one "just like it" for $4500. Anyway, I digress...

I agree that "carry" does matter in other situations - like going to AD's wearing reps that have especially expensive gen counterparts. No one ever questions me because the AD's know I have a lot of expensive gen watches in my collection. What comes to mind is my VC Malte chrono. I don't wear it to the VC AD because I would surely be called out, but I can wear it to other AD's and they just admire it. They know I could own one so they don't question it. I'm sure a guy who is 22 and in college could never get away with it...

As for whether you can "pull it off", I don't know that I agree with that statement at all. I mean what are we talking about? Confidence? How you walk? Then it is even worse because you are parading around with a clock on your wrist as if to say "look at me, I'm a dumbass who has become a slave to current fashion, hence the big watch"?

Your example is the exact opposite of 'pulling it off'. If you see a guy wearing a huge watch, if he's not in the least bit self-concious over it, it'll look natural. I used to dye my hair back in my youth and I had scarlet hair at one point. Once I got used to it, it stopped being that unusual and nobody really took much notice of it. However, one Christmas, some bloke in our office decided to dye his hair blue for charity and no matter how he tried, he could never carry it off. Also, imagine your mum wearing the same clothes as Britney Spears ... no, on second thoughts, stop imagining that.

Some guy in a wet suit with a huge watch on isn't going to have his watch commented on. If he wears it afterwards, he won't think it's too big and therefore he'll pull it off.

ps. Nobody back in the 1950s could wear a Fiddy to work, unless their work was underwater, so it has nothing to do with body size and everything to do with fashion.

193268-4426.jpg

I think Pug mis-represented the watches in this ad :whistling:

I see a lot of folks quoting wrist sizes here and even on the gen forums as a way to measure what watches they can and can't wear. To me wrist size is nearly of no consequence as to how a watch looks on the wearer unless your wrist is REALLY large or small. Of greater importance is the wearer's physical size. I am 5'9" with a slim, athletic build and 160lbs. If I wear a watch that is larger than 44MM it just looks stupid beacuse I am physically fairly compact. Sports watches in the 40-42MM range are ideal for me with 41-42MM being my favorites - all other things being equal. Almost anything in that size is fine for me. The PAM's are OK at 44MM, but not quite ideal really. I get away with it because those watches in particular are supposed to be kind of clunky - it is part of their appeal. My wrist size happens to be 7 1/2", but what does that really matter? Similarly, I have a collector buddy who is 6'2" and 220 lbs with a 6 3/4" wrist. He owns the HUGE gen B&R 46MM giant and wears it on that tiny wrist easily because the watch matches his body size well. So ultimately I feel that overall size and shape of the wearer is the key with wristsize playing a supporting role - not the other way around. In my case my wrist is much larger than I am in proportion, but if I wear that B&R I look like Spongebob's retarded brother. Food for thought and discussion...

I agree that you can't just go by a wrist size.

A narrow or thick wrist can mean that two people with the same wrist measurement may not both be able to wear the same watch and have it look good. I have read others here say that forearm size also has an impact.

The other thing is the the watch. As an example the black 45mm Planet Ocean is said to wear smaller due to the colour of the dial and the round shape of the case. Panies with the squarish shape wear big on the wrist.

Also the type of bracelet or strap makes a difference. I usually find a leather strap makes something seem smaller when I wear it.

I completely agree with both posts. I am also not tall, 5'8 but I go about 185 pounds and am pretty muscular and athletic. Still my wrists are only about 6.75" Notwithstanding the thin wrists, I can wear mosly any watch I choose (except maybe a 50mm railmaster) without a problem.

I also agree that watch itself is a consideration. Today I am wearing my 45.5MM PO... it really does not wear large at all. My 44MM PAM wears just appears larger for the reasons you sighted... it is a thicker watch, and of course the CG's are wider. I can and do wear either one without it looking odd, but it is interesting how the PO 'wears' much smaller than the PAM.

Your example is the exact opposite of 'pulling it off'. If you see a guy wearing a huge watch, if he's not in the least bit self-concious over it, it'll look natural. I used to dye my hair back in my youth and I had scarlet hair at one point. Once I got used to it, it stopped being that unusual and nobody really took much notice of it. However, one Christmas, some bloke in our office decided to dye his hair blue for charity and no matter how he tried, he could never carry it off. Also, imagine your mum wearing the same clothes as Britney Spears ... no, on second thoughts, stop imagining that.

Some guy in a wet suit with a huge watch on isn't going to have his watch commented on. If he wears it afterwards, he won't think it's too big and therefore he'll pull it off.

ps. Nobody back in the 1950s could wear a Fiddy to work, unless their work was underwater, so it has nothing to do with body size and everything to do with fashion.

Scarlet hair huh? I think we need some pics of that here on RWG!!!

I go about 5'6" 140lbs. When I considered purchasing my Radiomir, I was concerned about my 6.5 wrist size. I haven't been able to take it off my wrist. I think it's all about attitude. I may have a bit of the napoleonic complex and I carry myself with great confidence. Thus the watch does not matter. And, it looks great!

Imo,...though I agree that lug overhang is a no-no.. it's more about the muscularity of the wrist.

I think any sports watch, or large watch must be on a wrist that fits the picture.

I have seen many a 44+mm watch on small wrists that looked great because the wrist and arm was

fit, veiny, and muscular,.. however on a wrist with no definition, or one that looks feminine is a mis-match

Try to picture a strong gladiator wearing armor,... then picture the same armour on a weak looking person..

and you get the idea... ^_^ Also like the guy way over-weight who is always wearing those sports outfits

and running shoes...

Anyone can build their arms and wrist and I feel that one should....especially if you enjoy large or sports watches..

However dress watches are a different story,...that need discussion as well.....

I agree that one of the downsides to ordering reps is that you don't get to try them on before you buy. Even going to an AD and sampling the real thing doesn't guarantee that the rep will wear the same as the genuine.

How a particular watch fits the individual wrist will vary greatly from one to another.

Some of the watches I like best, seem to have thicker case sizes (Chrono's), that range from 13mm to 18mm, the difference in thickness as well as overall case size can make a huge difference on how they fit the wrist. Some models regardless of how thick they are seem to fit better than another. Only makes sense.

How it FEELS on my wrist... is way more important to me, than how it looks...big or small.