When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Silly Watch Question

Goochenbrau

Just kind of depends on your own pref... I always ref as (example) one-six-five-two-oh (16520), or one-six-six-one-oh (16610) and so on. No rhyme or reason...

Half the time, if the watch is not a current offering, I have to tell the sales guy the model as I'm usually met with a blank confused look (like, huh?). But the hardcore Rolex guys at my AD are pretty fluent on model refs of the last 3/4 decades...

When you guys go to the AD to 'browse' do you just ask to look at a bunch of watches? Do you try them all on? I'm not really in a position to buy a gen Panerai right now - so I feel a bit weird going in and wasting their time looking at a bunch of watches then saying "cheers, I'll think about it"

When you guys go to the AD to 'browse' do you just ask to look at a bunch of watches? Do you try them all on? I'm not really in a position to buy a gen Panerai right now - so I feel a bit weird going in and wasting their time looking at a bunch of watches then saying "cheers, I'll think about it"

I've found that a bit of knowledge goes a long way if the sales person is into watches also. Little things like "Longines...they're a Swatch company, right..." or "do they use ETA based movements?" either perk up a sales clerk and get them talking, or get you a blank look and they assume you know what you're talking about, and help you.

I sometimes go in just to ask what's new. When the Planet Ocean was new, it was a great excuse to go ask about it when I knew full well that no dealer within 1000 miles of me even had it yet. Then look at the other watches.

My favourite experience is when I went into a high end shop in Vegas and when the snooty sales guy asked if he could help me, I replied "do you have..." and he condescendingly cut me off and said "yes, we do". I continued, "the new Planet Ocean?" he didn't have it. I asked about an AP Royal Oak, didn't have that one either, and when I said "well, then I won't even ask about the VC Overseas" he was about falling over himself to show it to me. He brought out a 25k Ulysse Nardin and some nice IWCs to try on.

If you frequent a dealer that has come to know you, and you like to browse, it's good to throw them a bone once in a while. Buy a low priced Hamilton or something every now and then so they won't toss you out when you come to window shop.