When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

is this the asian copy movement that comes in the cheaper PO?

The movement in the "PO Ultimate lite" and "Steelfish Lite" is a different beast. That is a Miyota 8215 Copy, as examined by The Zigmeister and PureTime in THIS THREAD.

I think this ETA copy is mainly installed in the Noobmariners...

Interesting topic. :)

The Zigmeister......Thanks for the great work and review.

To answer that million dollars question, we should invite the dealers to come take a look and

tell us who use this movement in the watches they are selling. With such a great job they done, many members will start to feel comfortable with Asian movement.

Thank you for taking the time & effort to do this for us, Rob! :thumbsupsmileyanim: As always, a joy to read and very informative.

All we need to do is identify the watches that are equiped with this ETA clone movement. Hopefully, this is a trend of things to come and not a brief aberration. It seems that a CN manufacturer(s) may have purchased an ETA fabrication facilty or at least the equipment.....I believe a Russian company did the same with an old Swiss based company movement fab plant (Longines?).

@ Rob: that also makes the 2836-2 modified a good movement too or cause is modified that's a whole diferrent story ???

Thanks

by saying " 2836-2 Modified "......Do you mean the so called "Basterdized 2836-2" we can found on some Correct Hand stack GMT watches?

if so, I hope Rob can shed some light on it cuz I'm so interest to buy a ExpII but can't decide should I get the correct-hand-stack or not.

by saying " 2836-2 Modified "......Do you mean the so called "Basterdized 2836-2" we can found on some Correct Hand stack GMT watches?

if so, I hope Rob can shed some light on it cuz I'm so interest to buy a ExpII but can't decide should I get the correct-hand-stack or not.

That isn't the movement he's referring to. I belive the 2836-2 GMT is an actual ETA that's bastardized. This movement is an asian copy of an ETA movement.

Call it the Chinese Conundrum. It's a mystery for us mere mortals here on the wrong side of the world (as well as the Aussies and old world types in Europe), but an interesting development nonetheless. The eta 2836-2 is a relatively old movement- c. 1983-4 with the base 2836 dating to the late 70's. It's hard to believe that ETA would just give up production, allow it's copyrights to lapse, or allow infringement. But we're already seeing asian 2813 type movements on the scene which are copies of the Miyota (Josh calls it a eta copy?), so this latest development doesn't come as a total surprise. Will Swatch Group fight back, or will we see more of these true copy 2836's in the future? Stay tuned!

Call it the Chinese Conundrum. It's a mystery for us mere mortals here on the wrong side of the world (as well as the Aussies and old world types in Europe), but an interesting development nonetheless. The eta 2836-2 is a relatively old movement- c. 1983-4 with the base 2836 dating to the late 70's. It's hard to believe that ETA would just give up production, allow it's copyrights to lapse, or allow infringement. But we're already seeing asian 2813 type movements on the scene which are copies of the Miyota (Josh calls it a eta copy?), so this latest development doesn't come as a total surprise. Will Swatch Group fight back, or will we see more of these true copy 2836's in the future? Stay tuned!

This would fall under patent law and not copyrights. Only the ETA stamps would be copyrights. I did a quick check on Swiss patent law expiration and it appears to be the same as US, which is 20 years from the date of application. If your 1983 - 4 date is correct than the patent would have expired 3 to 4 years ago. Anyone would be free to reproduce this movement as long as they did not put any trademark or copyrights on the piece. Perhaps we have an attorney on the board that could shed some more light on this subject. Of course I am not an attorney and I could be totally wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

OKay here comes my ULTIMATE STUPID QUESTION lol....where on earth can i find these asian eta replica watches...man it took me months to understand one aspect and now other one comes out.....lol Though The Zigmeister i must say ur a genious.....so pls guide me cuz all the watches i want they only come in new asian 7750....and when u said u can spot them a mile away....wat are they that bad :( cuz i havent ordered any yet....im still searching....though my list is 1: panera, 2: breitling navitimer 3: LV chronograph brown lol so far all of them are in new asian 7750....i can find some model in swiss eta but they are 300$ more....now do u know any dealers here which has the movment ur talkin about asia eta in my required models......pls or just tell me to SHUT UP....lol cuz im really confused now....hehe