When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Just a thought about moderating teams

rbj69

i was thinking and thought this would be a good thread to hear the opinions of the members here and now we just had a anniversary roll around so i felt why not? lol

what r your opinions on appointing new moderators ? not saying the ones we have havent done a good job but wouldnt it be good for the board to have a voting process for new mods like every 6 months and or yearly , just to have some fresh faces and new ideas; to me i think it will make a better board and give other deserving members that love the board a chance to have fun and keep this a open board and not a onesided one (i feel if u keep the same mod team that eventually the board will get onesided like the old rwg did at the end)

this is not a post for anyone to get offended on, just a simple thought of having a periodic change for moderating to make the board a even kill

joe

Would this imply replacing mods with new ones?

I think fresh faces would make things more unstable, as after a while I feel like I know a little about the mods by watching their M.O.

I can't really see the benefits of a voting process, and the worst case scenario is an election campaign that sidetracks the forum and possibly divides the members into camps..

..Yeah, I've seen this happen in a computer forum.. And it was not pretty. And those guys had a lot less "under their belt" than some of the members of RWG.

Here we all have a say, suggestions seem like they are considered seriously by the management, this suggestion included, and you don't really have many complaints here. (If you feel hounded by them, they usually have a reason.. it COULD be you, and not all the others..)

:)

Definitely not.

The admin team is great and the atmosphere in RWG is liberal and good. Why would we need someone new to ruin it? Best moderator is an invisible moderator.

Net is full of pimple faced little Trekkie bastards who think they grow 10 inches when they get a moderator position... and can start flexing their "Internet muscles". The current group is fine... if it ain't broken don't fix it.

i was thinking and thought this would be a good thread to hear the opinions of the members here and now we just had a anniversary roll around so i felt why not? lol

what r your opinions on appointing new moderators ? not saying the ones we have havent done a good job but wouldnt it be good for the board to have a voting process for new mods like every 6 months and or yearly , just to have some fresh faces and new ideas; to me i think it will make a better board and give other deserving members that love the board a chance to have fun and keep this a open board and not a onesided one (i feel if u keep the same mod team that eventually the board will get onesided like the old rwg did at the end)

this is not a post for anyone to get offended on, just a simple thought of having a periodic change for moderating to make the board a even kill

joe

Many years ago I started a forum that is about the same size as this one on a topic not relating to watches. I tried to do exactly what you suggested I had a revolution on my hands. What they were saying is that 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it, Tim.' Fair enough and I forever backed off sharing the reigns. I was trying to give everyone a chance at adding their own influence, thinking that it might make it better and stronger. I WAS WRONG. People like things the way they are - PERIOD. :bangin:

Admin team do a great job here........can you imagine another Klink......t'aint broke...dun need fixin'....!

Or how about a pimply faced newbie.....moderator after 1x month......knows f' all about watches....even less about forums.....racks up 1300 posts over period of 64 days total membership of the forum.....suddenly he's a Mod....and he's on a posting frenzy........a know it all know [censored] all.........DUH.....!

Definitely not.

Net is full of pimple faced little Trekkie bastards who think they grow 10 inches when they get a moderator position... and can start flexing their "Internet muscles".

Hey! My pimples are clearing! It's not nice to make fun of people.

/Tim

p.s. And what do you have against Star Trek???? Luddite!

Admin team do a great job here........can you imagine another Klink......t'aint broke...dun need fixin'....!

Or how about a pimply faced newbie.....moderator after 1x month......knows f' all about watches....even less about forums.....racks up 1300 posts over period of 64 days total membership of the forum.....suddenly he's a Mod....and he's on a posting frenzy........a know it all know [censored] all.........DUH.....!

TTK, have we met before in person? You talk as if you know me personally. I have never met you sir or even had a conversation with you. but you claim you are an expert on my life. you have no idea what you are talking about. You don't know my past or experience with forums. Or what I do for a living. You say I am a kid? Sorry but I am in my late 30's.

I think sir you have shown your true colors here and i will not stoop to your level. But please refrain from talking about me because you dont know me. I never talk about you so what is your problem?

I never said i knew anything about you personally......my experience is strictly confined to the forum at hand......in my opinion.....you know very little about watches......and even less about the job of moderating......that is readily apparent from reading your posts.....I have 6+ years experience of these forums and have seen good and bad moderators.......I've also seen mediocre moderators.......IMO.....thats the category that you fall into.......you were made a Mod after 1x month.....that's not even time to get to know a membership....never mind the world of watches......but hey...it's just my opinion......!

I never said i knew anything about you personally......my experience is strictly confined to the forum at hand......in my opinion.....you know very little about watches......and even less about the job of moderating......that is readily apparent from reading your posts.....I have 6+ years experience of these forums and have seen good and bad moderators.......I've also seen mediocre moderators.......IMO.....thats the category that you fall into.......you were made a Mod after 1x month.....that's not even time to get to know a membership....never mind the world of watches......but hey...it's just my opinion......!

Well TTK, You are certainly entitled to that opinion. But you have no idea what goes on behind the scenes or how many years experience i have with forums. You may have an opinion that i suck at it but maybe others may not. I am simply asking you as a fellow human being to lay off of me. Is that to much to ask?

I was going to PM you this message but your inbox is full. So I will just post it here:

TTK, I know you and I got off to a bad start at first. If I did anything to offend you in the past I do appologize for that. I told Tim earlier that I am willing to get along with any dealer at the forum for the better of the community. Why not you and I start right now and burry the hatchet? Is that ok with you?

Ok dawg.......there's no need for you and I to go off half cocked at each other......I appreciate the gesture and would like to return it......hatchet is buried as far as I am concerned.........let the good times roll......:D

Wow, I thought TTK was talking about me at first, good to see he has his sites on someone else. ;)

I think turning over the moderating team often would be a huge pain in the butt for both the new mods and the admin. Some of the tools we have are a little confusing to use and the stoopid operating manual for this place is nonexistent. :) I can't even figure out some of the tools I have at my fingertips, so I just stick with the ones I know how to use. ;) If you kept turning over the moderating team often it would take T months to get everyone up to speed on the tools and I think he's busy enough. Also, over the past year we have had several moderators leave and new ones appointed, so we do have some fresh faces on the team here. I think we are pretty receptive to the forums wishes and we try to keep things fresh and new here (especially Ken). I guess I don't see any real benefit to rotating the moderating team every year, even the president gets 4 years to mess things up before he has to be reelected. :)

what r your opinions on appointing new moderators ? not saying the ones we have havent done a good job but wouldnt it be good for the board to have a voting process for new mods like every 6 months and or yearly , just to have some fresh faces and new ideas;

@Joseph

Step away from the computer...

:lol:

216896-15451.jpg