When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Another "What would you do?" question

crystalcranium

Fidelity vs function

1. They have finally made the "Perfect........" It is visually indistinguishable from the genuine article. The weight is perfect, the dial holds up under 7X loupe inspection. Lume is spot on and the colors are perfect. It's the best replica ever made from a "to look at it" perspective. The other side of the coin is that it has an asian movement that's suspect in it's reliability. It's not water resistant in any way nor can it be made so by owner interventions. The crown tube will strip eventually and there's no option to replace with OEM parts. The case metal looks great but it's not 316 stainless and there are no guarantees about longevity in daily use. The cost is $200.

2. There is a lights out function version of watch brand/model #1. It contains a serviced ETA movement that winds and operates smoothly. It has passed COSC certification (This is a fantasy scenario you know!) It is really water resistant to 1000M and guaranteed. The case materials are high quality stainless and the case tube is first rate and tough. The watch is a very reliable daily wearer that the owner can expect to get a decade of tough use from and it wont miss a beat. The other side of this coin is that it's a 90% accurate replica. The average Joe wouldn't question it but anyone with a little brand knowlege will spot that there are some things that aren't right. The dial has some font issues, the weight isn't right and a in a side by side with the genuine article, it's easy to spot the flaws. The cost is $200.

What do you buy? No wisecrack answers like "I buy both and put them together!!!!" :rolleyes: The purchase is a final "have to live with it as is" decision.

My answer would be #1 and I would park it in the watch garage and drive it on sunny days to the country club!

It depends on the watch. Some I'd prefer the functions, as let's be honest, a waterproof COSC for $200 is a kicker, and if it's a not very well known model, I could easily live with it, like my Aquatimer 2000. However, if it were an aesthetic watch, I'd go for option 1.

It depends on the watch. Some I'd prefer the functions, as let's be honest, a waterproof COSC for $200 is a kicker, and if it's a not very well known model, I could easily live with it, like my Aquatimer 2000. However, if it were an aesthetic watch, I'd go for option 1.

Well, let me amend the COSC qualification and say it has COSC performance but isn't actually a COSC certificate owning watch.

Definately number 1. I think when I look for a replica it's almost always a search for more and more accuracy. If I am concerned about reliability and function, I think I'd get a good reliable non rep watch. For me the excitement is in the search for more and more accuracy. #1 for me.

I would wait for the next generation. If they made such a good replica with sub par materials they are bound to have the "Ok this is the final ultimate ultimate version" in a month or two.

Then again if the girl in Oakland's avatar was selling a piece of crap that said polodex on the dial for $200 I would buy two. :smilie3:

another thread got you thinking? - whatever dude, breathing gets you thinking :) - your always thinking - good thing you have one of those genuine sapphire crystal cranium and not the "synthetic/ mineral glass ones" or youd have "slpoded a long time ago :)

Ahhhh but like my wife always reminds me "Chris, it's not how many IQ points you have, it's how many you use that's important"!!!! I don't think she believes creating interesting questions on RWG is an all points activity!

Without a doubt Option Two.

When I get my Planet Ocean back from being repaired, I'll have to post some decent pics of it. This definition, however, sums it up perfectly.

2. There is a lights out function version of watch brand/model #1. It contains a serviced ETA movement that winds and operates smoothly. It has passed COSC certification (This is a fantasy scenario you know!) It is really water resistant to 1000M and guaranteed. The case materials are high quality stainless and the case tube is first rate and tough. The watch is a very reliable daily wearer that the owner can expect to get a decade of tough use from and it wont miss a beat. The other side of this coin is that it's a 90% accurate replica. The average Joe wouldn't question it but anyone with a little brand knowlege will spot that there are some things that aren't right. The dial has some font issues, the weight isn't right and a in a side by side with the genuine article, it's easy to spot the flaws. The cost is $200.

It kept time at +6 seconds a day, and had a few details that were inaccurate, but only someone with brand knowledge would spot them. Also, those inaccuracies were things that I prefered over the gen details. Far as I'm concerned, it was the best watch I have ever owned, and as it was a christmas present for my fiance, it has immense sentimental value. Here's the photos of it I've taken thus far. Not the best photos ever, but the best I could manage with my phone's camera:

220040-14785.jpg

220040-14786.jpg

Then again if the girl in Oakland's avatar was selling a piece of crap that said polodex on the dial for $200 I would buy two. :smilie3:

I'm bidding here: if that girl sells pieces of [censored] for 200$ I'd buy 3.

Seriously ? My choice would go for option 1

Without a doubt Option Two.

When I get my Planet Ocean back from being repaired, I'll have to post some decent pics of it. This definition, however, sums it up perfectly.

It kept time at +6 seconds a day, and had a few details that were inaccurate, but only someone with brand knowledge would spot them. Also, those inaccuracies were things that I prefered over the gen details. Far as I'm concerned, it was the best watch I have ever owned, and as it was a christmas present for my fiance, it has immense sentimental value. Here's the photos of it I've taken thus far. Not the best photos ever, but the best I could manage with my phone's camera:

220109-14683.jpg

220109-14684.jpg

Be careful of the case tube. There are some reports of stripping on these so screw and unscrew carefully. It was the alarm raised about this very watch that prompted me to include this negative in this fantasy scenario.

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showto...mp;hl=stripping

Be careful of the case tube. There are some reports of stripping on these so screw and unscrew carefully. It was the alarm raised about this very watch that prompted me to include this negative in this fantasy scenario.

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showto...mp;hl=stripping

That's precicely what happened to it, and the reason I had to send it back to be fixed. I think crown/tube threads stripping is definitely a common fault with the PO reps.