When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Anyone have watch confiscated or threatened at AD?

jomama

I enjoy when members tell stories about how they fooled or almost fooled ADs with their reps. But there is always the warning e-mail about how they were lucky not have watch taken or cops and swat teams called in for the stand-off and ultimate kill.

Just curious if anyone has ever had legal or other issues with their reps from jewlers or other???

Is it real or just imagined threat? I know a hardcore dealer might try to say something but can never imagine he would declare it a rep, take it and demand you leave his store....I don't think they want the hassel. Infact, I can rather see a AD just telling a rep shiner "nice watch" and laughing with the staff after the guy leaves.

I am not one to test the waters with ADs but I am looking for a local jewler I can trust that will work on my reps if I have problems or need serviced etc.

Please tell your scary stories here!

My experience, most of the salespeople are idiots themselves. In any country.

I equate them to luxury car salespeople working the commision and knowing squat about even the most general of crown function operation. You either play the part that you can afford something or they want nothing to do with you.

Now the watchmaker, service people and technicians. That's a different breed and I don't try to pull anything (not like I ever have) over them in a Licenced Dealer or Jeweller.

II am looking for a local jewler I can trust that will work on my reps if I have problems or need serviced etc.

Then stay off the high street. Use your yellow pages to find a guy working from home. He's probably the guy who does the repairs for the local high street shops, anyway. Phone first... tell him that you collect high-end reps... reps with decent movements. He may be intrigued enough to want to see what you have.

I found such a guy. At first he was scathing about my reps. Having worked on a couple, he changed his tune... and asked me to get one for him.

No PMs, please. He is now retired.

I only buy the best reps based on forum feedback, and i have taken them all to AD's and gotten compliments on them, under the assumption there were real. 2 things. Most people that work at AD's despite the AD's best efforts to train them don't know half as much as your average member here knows. Most of them are just sales people trying to make a buck, so they would not likely call you out if they knew, since they are in perpetual ass kissing mode and are blinded by the dollar signs of trying to sell you something. The other thing is I am a big enough guy that I don't think they'd consider threatening me a viable option. ;)

Hell yes I'll wear a rep into an AD, but for the most part it would be a somewhat less common brand (at least in my local ADs) such as IWC or Pam, rather than a Rolex in a Rollie shop or Santos in a Cartier shop. I sold my only Rollie, so that isn't even an issue.

(I have worn my Seamaster SMP into an Omega shop, but politely declined when the salesperson offered to have it polished while I shopped. :whistling: )

But I agree, most of the salespeople don't really know or don't care, they just want to make the sale, and that's where they focus their thinking. In fact, when I wore a Pam 192 into a Rolex-Omega-Cartier dealer, the sales reps and manager practically lined up to assist me, because I honestly don't think they had ever seen a Pam in the flesh. Obviously your mileage should differ in New York, London, or Zurich.

I bought a $20 GMT11 in China.

It fooled a Rolex collector in HK airport. Gave me chapter and verse on his own collection.

I wore it into eight high-end ADs in Kowloon. The sort of shops where the shopkeeper looks at your wrist... then decides if he will give you the time of day.

Only one gave it a second glance...

You guys would tear it to pieces - and rightly so. I was ripped off.

It is really only worth $10, at most.

In reality, any rep will fool anyone... as long as you stand back and move your wrist quicker than anybody near you can focus.

I like to think that I know a little about Panerai. Saw a bloke wearing a 111 the other day. On rubber. I'm conviced that it was a rep. But only because of the rubber. Close as I was... he didn't hold his wrist steady enough, for long enough, to enable me to make a proper appraisal.

I hate it when that happens.

Great point guys. My final thought is I have no problem wearing a rep of a watch to a AD that is NOT one of the watches they sell. This so I will get service so I end up wearing my Pam alot to the ADs since so few carry them.

I just don't htink there is ant threat in US of someone "confiscating" or even confrinting a rep in an AD. He will keep opinion to himself for two reasons 1, doesn't want to lose sale 2, he's not POSITIVE it's a rep.

Best play is to wear rep that is not sold in that AD. No worries.

It's totally braindead to take your reps to AD. Anyone who brags about this on RWG is a complete idiot and should be treated as such.

I've said it before: it's the same thing as smoking a joint in the lobby of a police station. Very brave and exciting... if you're 12 years old (mentally and physically).

I enjoy when members tell stories about how they fooled or almost fooled ADs with their reps. But there is always the warning e-mail about how they were lucky not have watch taken or cops and swat teams called in for the stand-off and ultimate kill.

Just curious if anyone has ever had legal or other issues with their reps from jewlers or other???

Is it real or just imagined threat? I know a hardcore dealer might try to say something but can never imagine he would declare it a rep, take it and demand you leave his store....I don't think they want the hassel. Infact, I can rather see a AD just telling a rep shiner "nice watch" and laughing with the staff after the guy leaves.

I am not one to test the waters with ADs but I am looking for a local jewler I can trust that will work on my reps if I have problems or need serviced etc.

Please tell your scary stories here!

What is ad?

By -Tor: seems as though we've struck a nerve my friend "idiot", "braindead"? Who cares if they want to do so? Maybe things are different in EU. If I had Gen i would wear, but my gen Sieko doen't get me any attention if I want to look at watches.

I'l let you all know when I have one confiscated. It should be a humorous story. Unfortunatly, I don;t think it will ever be a story I have to tell.

By -Tor: seems as though we've struck a nerve my friend "idiot", "braindead"? Who cares if they want to do so? Maybe things are different in EU. If I had Gen i would wear, but my gen Sieko doen't get me any attention if I want to look at watches.

I'l let you all know when I have one confiscated. It should be a humorous story. Unfortunatly, I don;t think it will ever be a story I have to tell.

Maybe I didn't make myself clear enough. If someone wears a rep in AD it's probably ok, especially if it's a different watch brand. i.e wear a IWC on a Rolex store. But if you go there and brag about your counterfeit watch it's just plain idiotic.

What's the gain? This is an underground hobby and should be kept underground. Why would anyone want to create unwanted mainstream attention and increase the awareness of GAF, their lawyers and authorized dealers about these watches? Maybe these morons give direct links to this forum as well? No wonder dealers' PayPal accounts have been dead and buried already.

As Jennifer Saunders said famously on Ab Fab, "You work in a shop." If they want your watch in the US they better have a gun.

Fooling a salesperson is meaningless, and I bet most of the stories on the forum are crap anyhow. Most of them are newbies with unmodded subs which would never fool anyone.