When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What are considered must have tools

Happy T

Prob a bit of a noob question for a lot of you but I've never so much as removed a pin from a strap much less open up the back of a watch. As I learn more and more, the lure of doing some of the more basic stuff to the reps myself seems to be the next step. God help my reps....

Two questions:

1) What are the essential tools needed for someone that will not be doing intensive movement work?

2) There seems to be a difference in quality for different tools I've seen around the net. Are the cheap tool kits just that...cheap? Is it the wise thing to buy quality tools?

whats a hand setting tool?

what about this fora starter kit?

22029-1876.jpg

Those kits are OK- most of the tools will work for you.However you will find in short time you really need better screwdrivers ( and probably spare tips for your springbar tool and bracelet pin tool.)

But for the price must bits are useable.

Offshore

Any recommendations where to buy quality tools? I'd rather have a few basic tools with good quality instead of cheap quality.

Happy

Have a look in "Tools" in our links section- Borel, Otto Frei and many other good links.

You will find for holders and the less used tools, the gear from China will suffice- as I said its only the drivers and pin band tool and bracelet link remover that cop a lot of work- even the last 2 are OK with spare tips- but screwdrivers....... just buy good quality!

offshore

Happy

Have a look in "Tools" in our links section- Borel, Otto Frei and many other good links.

You will find for holders and the less used tools, the gear from China will suffice- as I said its only the drivers and pin band tool and bracelet link remover that cop a lot of work- even the last 2 are OK with spare tips- but screwdrivers....... just buy good quality!

offshore

Ebay might be better, Otto Frei is a bit too expensive especially for overseas orders. :)

Have a read of this post from the NAWC tools forum, its only recent, and shows the problems faced in defining "good" tools.

http://nawcc-mb.infopop.cc/groupee/forums/...61/m/4796025672

Seems even Bergeon aren't necessarily.. stepping up to the plate... however they would be preferable, even with work needed, to some of the crap drivers that find their way on to the 'bay. Really the tips of some are close to butter, and after you have used some "respectable" drivers ... you really get to understand how the pros think.

I have spent quite some $$ trying to put together a respectable set of gear, and I'm still only an utter novice.

Nowhere more than in tools does Caveat Emptor apply.

Search... research... ask questions... visit the forums... we have some fabulous links posted here... There is one thing I can guarantee you, if you don't - you WILL get burnt- if you do your homework.... you might not!

offshore

Thanks dadog, thats a great link- I posted it in LINKS some time back- I'm not having a shot at you- just trying to get our member friends used to using the link bar, I repeat - there is some wonderful info available there.

Hey this is sounding like a "use the search button" rant.... and its not!!!!...I am just pointing everyone to the links section- I find great joy in "surfing the net" and hope some others can too! :D

offshore

Thanks dadog, thats a great link- I posted it in LINKS some time back- I'm not having a shot at you- just trying to get our member friends used to using the link bar, I repeat - there is some wonderful info available there.

Hey this is sounding like a "use the search button" rant.... and its not!!!!...I am just pointing everyone to the links section- I find great joy in "surfing the net" and hope some others can too! :D

offshore

haven't looked at the link section...

i have it bookmarked in my mozilla firefox...among other great links...i don't have time to post all the links that i have...so from timie to time i post some when i see that someone asks for help!

Happy

offshore

or http://www.julesborel.com/