When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Watch suggestions as a present for a sailor friend (no cheap jokes,please)

montydog

Hello,

I'm looking for suggestions for a watch with a nautical theme or background as a present for a good friend who currently sports one of those horrible quartz things with a digital readout. His main pastime is sailing, hence the nautical theme and the need for waterproofing.

My budget will only stretch to $150-$175 including waterproofing ($50) but I don' want a quartz so I'm thinking it will be an Asian 25j movement.

Does anyone have any suggestions/experiences which could help me out?

My initial thought was a seamaster from Josh with the 21j movement.

Thanks in advance

M

I wouldn't run with the chrono....unless it's fully operational...( dun think they make a working chrono )....I'd go for less complicated chronometer....!

Most of the dealers can obtain those for about $100+....:D

Edited by TTK

I agree 100% with the Seiko for a gift. It is a great watch, reliable waterproof and serviceable. I would not buy a rep as a gift unless someone asks for one. When it breaks or leaks you will look like a schmuck. I would however go for the black dial version of the monster. Much more wearable and appealing.

Here ya go....... The orange dive watch to have when your budget won't stretch to Doxa. :tu:

238953-10486.jpg

As a bonus, the stock band and/or bracelet that comes on the Monster (I own both) is comfortable and reliable. The SS bracelet is rugged and masculine, and the black rubber (?) band is light, comfortable, and waterproof. The SS bracelet can be a little tricky to size at home (can be done with right tools and patience), but a Jeweler will take care of that for short money. These can take a week + to come from Singapore/Japan off eBay, so allow for delivery time if the occasion is coming up on you fast.

I would recommend the Brietling steel fish for which Angus gives a 1000m guarantee but I think its a bit more expensive.

uh, like $300 with the ETA and sapphire :whistling:

plus, while i agree it may be more waterproof than a normal rep i am willing to bet that the 1000m claim is another dealer 'little white lie'

. the master watchmaker who restored a few of my vintage seiko divers tested them with a tester and his would only go to 300m or so and was a very costly piece of equipment. from what i have read there are not that many machines in the world that will test to 1000m or 3000m and they are all owned by breitling and iwc and seiko etc. in fact my 600m and 1000m seiko divers came with a cert for the first battery change and are supposed to be sent back to the factory in japan for the change and re-testing of the water resistance. i'm not sure if i believe a rep factory built or invested in a machine like that :rolleyes:

Hello,

I'm looking for suggestions for a watch with a nautical theme or background as a present for a good friend who currently sports one of those horrible quartz things with a digital readout. His main pastime is sailing, hence the nautical theme and the need for waterproofing.

My budget will only stretch to $150-$175 including waterproofing ($50) but I don' want a quartz so I'm thinking it will be an Asian 25j movement.

Does anyone have any suggestions/experiences which could help me out?

My initial thought was a seamaster from Josh with the 21j movement.

Thanks in advance

M

Thanks for all the suggestions....very helpfull. I see where you are coming from with the Seiko but it's not really dressy enough and my friend wears his digital when sailing so It's really for wearing the rest of the time ie home/work. I like the Corum and had a look at a gen today at the ADs but I think it's a bit too pretty and ornate. Also, I don't want non-working chronos. So I'm leaning towards the Breitling Steelfish SuperOcean which is already waterproof and is dressy & sporty/practical at the same time. I'm going with the Asian ETA 2813. Any comments on this movement? Finally, what's the consensus on the best colour for the face, white?:

240734-9935.jpg

or black?:

240734-9936.jpg

Thanks

Thanks for all the suggestions....very helpfull. I see where you are coming from with the Seiko but it's not really dressy enough and my friend wears his digital when sailing so It's really for wearing the rest of the time ie home/work. I like the Corum and had a look at a gen today at the ADs but I think it's a bit too pretty and ornate. Also, I don't want non-working chronos. So I'm leaning towards the Breitling Steelfish SuperOcean which is already waterproof and is dressy & sporty/practical at the same time. I'm going with the Asian ETA 2813. Any comments on this movement? Finally, what's the consensus on the best colour for the face, white?:

240868-9916.jpg

or black?:

240868-9917.jpg

Thanks

I'd go either with the white or blue. Not a big fan of the black.