When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Why do people say R*lex Bre*tling, etc?

Dutchy

I never understood that. It's mentioned here millions of times a day and some still put the * in the brand names.....I only use it for swearing, like f*ck, but why for the brand names or ebay (*bay).....never got it......

By the way, not accusing, just wondering :)

Edited by Dutchy

This is common on several board, to hide the "real" names. This is to make the site less visible on the search engines when they crawl the site. That way, the site will get less hist when people seach for the brand name, wich of course is written without the *.

Edit to add: RWG used to be highly visible on the search engines. I've taken some measures so that we are not that visible. Because of this you will now only get about 2000 hits when you do a google-search for rwg.cc. Last month the number was 36000 ;)

1. when used, that particular thread will not show in a g**gle search.. unless you did a direct seach with the hidden/mispelling.

2. many users use the same id on may f*rums and bid sites... hides postings and will not show in a direct search.

do a quick search on g**gle for a rep or rep brand... betcha rw*, tr* and all the rest come up

This is common on several board, to hide the "real" names. This is to make the site less visible on the search engines when they crawl the site. That way, the site will get less hist when people seach for the brand name, wich of course is written without the *.

Edit to add: RWG used to be highly visible on the search engines. I've taken some measures so that we are not that visible. Because of this you will now only get about 2000 hits when you do a google-search for rwg.cc. Last month the number was 36000 ;)

:ph34r:

It seems like it should be a good thing, but it's counter-intuitive. If you type "Rolex", you'll be lost on page 24 of google behind the gazillion SEOed scam sites. If, however, you use "ralex replica", you find replica forums on page one. Misspelling terms is something any clever trawler will do.

It seems like it should be a good thing, but it's counter-intuitive. If you type "Rolex", you'll be lost on page 24 of google behind the gazillion SEOed scam sites. If, however, you use "ralex replica", you find replica forums on page one. Misspelling terms is something any clever trawler will do.

Bucket-boy has a point there.

Yes, yes......I look like a chick :lol: