When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Call me stupid, but I cant find the for sale forum on this site

Can someone clue me in?-thanks

A newbie's (to the board; but long-time rep collector) 2P's worth on all this......

From the outset I think you have to recognise that this hobby and the trade that supports it is essentially illegal! And people really HAVE to be somewhat 'guarded' in their approach to it; ESPECIALLY the dealers....

Frankly, if you 'walk into' a forum and find the dealers laid out like an open shopping mall you're asking for trouble! The guys who want to stay in business work HARD to make sure that none of their customers becomes inclined to blow the whistle.... And a big part of that is being guarded in who they sell to!

To find most of the information on who the dealers are I think you need to upgrade to VIP status. Upgrading to ordinary member allows you access a 'links' section which has just a very few dealers in it. The 'Reputations' section (which, I assume is where all the really useful info is) is still closed off.... Personally, and this IS just personal opinion, the very short list of dealers in the links section is of limited value; though if you had absolutely NO idea where to buy a rep, it's a starting point.

There are other means of finding dealers. I first came across Narikaa for instance on a certain online auction site; and no it WASN'T the dreaded 'bay!

Dealers (apparently) are generally referred to in posts either by their own names or sometimes trade names; either way links to their websites seem to remain shrouded in mystery except for the few in the links section. The 'cognoscenti' seem comfortable with this but as a newbie to the forum I've found it impossible to figure out who is who or how to get in touch with the ones I'm interested in.... Much as I appreciate the need to be 'guarded' in this trade that's not to helpful... I'm afraid the fascination with watches (rep and otherwise) is just one tiny facet of MY life.... And life being too short to 'stuff a mushroom' it looks like dealers I knew about before joining will continue to get my money! Which is a bit of a shame.

Personally my list of trusted dealers has NOT been boosted by becoming a member here even though I'm aware that there IS at least one UK based seller I've not used before.... They regularly show the watches they have; and many look interesting, but no link no sale!

I've seen a couple of items of interest in reviews and posts; but frankly am left disinclined to make enquiries in case I get shot down in flames! I've made a SINGLE technical enquiry since paying my membership fee and pretty much got a 'look it up on google' reply..... (as it happened I HAD already! which is WHY I asked for help!) Though to be fair one member DID chirp in with some of the info I asked for.... Frankly though the experience has left me disinclined to seek assistance again. Reading through various threads it seems I'm not the only person to have got such a reaction to a perfectly civil question...

Quite rightly it appears that 'trading' is the preserve of VIP members..... I can understand this for sellers; but why anybody here thinks it's useful to restrict the buying audience???? As a paying customer there is a limit to the number of hoops I'm prepared to jump to look at anyone's wares.

To be fair there is a HUGE amount of useful information here. And out of all the other similar forums it's the least obstructive and least unhelpful. If you want to buy AND sell VIP membership is probably a good option. If like me you're interested in buying only you may be less inclined to incur a repetitive fee, however tiny.

You pays your money you takes your choice; and I think it only fair that if you are going to take something from the forum you make some small contribution. Certainly ordinary membership will allow you to get the 'heads up' when things are going awry; and to that extent this is the ONLY rep forum which I read regularly, EVER post on and have ever felt inclined to donate any money too.... But personally, I WON'T be upgrading to VIP status.

It is becoming slightly ridiculous the amount of people asking where they can buy watches from. I really think there should be some kind of outline in the email sent to people who join the forum telling them clearly not to ask such questions, and to hint at how they go about accessing the said areas. I remember reading that server space is limited, and expensive, the amount of posts and threads that are wasted on this topic alone could be cut down. Even if it just a sticky in the intro area that must be read before access is granted to the rest of the forum. For the love of god, something has to be done, this is becoming a regular thing now. This isn't aimed at the noobs, because I would be asking the same thing. It is something as a board we need to tackle, save server space, and peoples time.

That's my 2 cents

...at least you donated something :)

One question though: is 30$ a year so much money compared to the time, energy and errors you save to yourself ?

The amount is simply NOT relevant..... What I DIDN'T realise was that the 10 Euros I was was charged WASN'T going to give me access to a reasonable list of reputable dealers. The way I read it VIP membership was suitable for those who wished to sell or trade.... I keep everything I buy; it either becomes part of my collection, is dismantled or given away... The only watches I ever sell go through the bay and are the 'chaff' from batches I've bought for parts or because they contained a gen vintage watch I was after...

It's a bit like paying the admission charge to enter a nightclub THEN finding once you're in that there's another charge to access the bar.... While all the time there are people wafting delicious cocktails under your nose....

Personally I'm looking for UK/EU dealers since I wish to avoid the trials of shipping high Quality stuff from the far East. But the bottom line is that I AM as far as the dealers are concerned a paying customer. If THEY want some of the 1800-2000 POUNDS (that's 3600-4000 dollars) that I personally spend on the hobby annually then I don't feel I should jump too many hoops.... 10Euro is a reasonable price to pay for a list I feel. 30??? Nawww!

So no, I personally just don't feel it's worth upgrading. Paying a charge for the privilege of spending my money? Hmmm... FWIW I told Costco to get lost too!

I don't make too many buying errors. There are a couple of guys I deal with in the UK. I have two brothers in HK who are cops, and a sister there who is a market trader. My sources in that part of the world wouldn't DARE risk crossing me :whistling: I've a friend In northern Thailand who can source me good pieces. If I buy from elsewhere I generally buy for the parts value and experiment. And pay buttons!

As for the rest of the board facilities; well most people seem amicable enough, and there are things to be learned just by reading and looking... And I fully intend, where I can, to bring such hints tips and advice I can to the board.... But I personally just don't feel it's worth upgrading from this perspective; it's an exchange of information. Certainly the bijou flea-in-the-ear that my simply asking a civil question induced (A simple technical question; NOT "where can I buy etc") shattered any illusion that it was somewhere that was likely to provide a source of rapid and definitive advice..... And as it happens; whilst I eventually gained some information from that particular exchange it turns out that the whole story is potentially a bit more complicated.... C'est la vie! But another reason to make me disinclined towards shelling out again...

As I say, just my 2p's worth....

Edited by Qsub

@Qsub

Well every opinion is repectable, and yours is certainly too.

I understand that it is confusing "member on time fee" and "vip recurring subscription".

I made the same error and paid 10 (member) + several times 5 (monthly vip) and finaly 30! that since january 07.

The 30 US Dollars - 15 British Pounds asked for a year of VIP membership is a contributions for servers, maintenance, upgrades, moderation, ....

Sorry if I missunderstand you but nobody here, and certainly not members from the Admin team, is selling dealers informations or a secret dealer list.

I'm probably not an as experienced collector as your self but spent a lot of money (even more than what you mentionned) these last 12 months.

Since I became member here, my purchases are wiser and the quality of my watches is much better.

Cheers

Stephane

@Qsub

Well every opinion is repectable, and yours is certainly too.

I understand that it is confusing "member on time fee" and "vip recurring subscription".

I made the same error and paid 10 (member) + several times 5 (monthly vip) and finaly 30! that since january 07.

The 30 US Dollars - 15 British Pounds asked for a year of VIP membership is a contributions for servers, maintenance, upgrades, moderation, ....

Sorry if I missunderstand you but nobody here, and certainly not members from the Admin team, is selling dealers informations or a secret dealer list.

I'm probably not an as experienced collector as your self but spent a lot of money (even more than what you mentionned) these last 12 months.

Since I became member here, my purchases are wiser and the quality of my watches is much better.

Cheers

Stephane

OK.... Well these are fair points; but if VIP membership DOESN'T get you access to more dealer information what were the initial responses to the OP about? As for the membership fee... Well, I could cite other boards which are FAR busier and manage without fees of that magnitude; I'm not suggesting the management are wrong t0 make such levies; if nothing else it'll keep the jokers out... And, as a private forum it's up to them what they charge. ..and up to us what we're prepared to pay or not.

As I say; the actual amount is not relevant.... I simply found myself labouring under an illusion... How I became lead towards that illusion is another matter; and in the final analysis an unimportant one....

As I say if the dealers want a slice of my cash let them roll out their wares. Admin have verified my email address and my 'plodpal' account. Narikaa (for one) would be able to verify I'm a bona fide buyer... I really DON'T see why these guys aren't all listing their sites in the links section... Especially since I've seen other members offering items on private sale...

There are many ways to support the board,...from upgrading your membership to contributions of

time and talent,...True.

However I don't agree with anyone who measures extra gain of upgrading purely from a selfish perspective,

of how many more watches they have access to, while discounting the cost it takes to run this board

and the knowledge that you give to everyone in the family when you do.

I can understand those that cannot upgrade for reasons of locality, or financial contraints, {which is my situation}

but if cheapness is your reasoning, the cost in comparison to the discounts, the tips, and inside knowledge

on one watch, which could save you hundreds,.. then that argument is not valid, and to my perspective,..

a detriment to the community as a whole.

Edited by Richard Tracy

So no, I personally just don't feel it's worth upgrading. Paying a charge for the privilege of spending my money? Hmmm... FWIW I told Costco to get lost too!
You have obviously failed to make the distinction between Admin & Dealer...

I don't make too many buying errors. There are a couple of guys I deal with in the UK. I have two brothers in HK who are cops, and a sister there who is a market trader. My sources in that part of the world wouldn't DARE risk crossing me :whistling: I've a friend In northern Thailand who can source me good pieces. If I buy from elsewhere I generally buy for the parts value and experiment. And pay buttons!
So with this laundry list of folks at your fingertips, why would you even be visiting this site...

I'm not suggesting the management are wrong t0 make such levies; if nothing else it'll keep the jokers out...
Apparently not [in the General Forum at least]...

As I say if the dealers want a slice of my cash let them roll out their wares. Admin have verified my email address and my 'plodpal' account. Narikaa (for one) would be able to verify I'm a bona fide buyer... I really DON'T see why these guys aren't all listing their sites in the links section... Especially since I've seen other members offering items on private sale...
Sounds like to me that with all your knowledge on Forums and all your contacts abroad, that maybe you just go start your own Forum...

Does anyone else get tired of Noobs dumping on our little community?

TT

You have obviously failed to make the distinction between Admin & Dealer...

So with this laundry list of folks at your fingertips, why would you even be visiting this site...

Apparently not [in the General Forum at least]...

Sounds like to me that with all your knowledge on Forums and all your contacts abroad, that maybe you just go start your own Forum...

Does anyone else get tired of Noobs dumping on our little community?

TT

Nobody's "dumping" on "your" community. However I AM questioning it's value; which, given the fact I'm being asked to contribute to it, is my right.

So far WHAT value have I had? when, after contributing, I asked a SIMPLE technical question I got "go look it up on google" and when I raise some perfectly valid issues I get "go start your own forum"

Why would I be visiting this site? Simple; I actually HAVE a life, so do my brothers and sister and none of us particularly has the time to spend trawling 'round markets sorting out the wheat from the chaff. Yes, I have contacts, and YES, if I wanted to I could probably even stock up and start dealing myself.... EXCEPT I already own and run a business; I'm Managing Director of my own registered Company... And you can even check it out with Companies house... If you care to email me I'll give you the details.... And frankly, I'd need to be selling thousands a of watches a week to match the turnover and income I get from the job I've been doing for the past 28 years So!!!

A fascination with watches is a VERY small part of what is an extremely busy life. THAT is why when I'm not bogged down with work I spend a little of my leisure time doing something completely different...

It's FAR more efficient to find online dealers. People make all or part of thier living doing the sorting out for those of us who simply consume the end product... It's also FAR more efficient to gather the combined experiences of a worldwide group than work in isolation....

As for Richard's comments. Did you actually READ what I wrote? TWICE I said that the figure involved WASN'T the issue..

NO I'm NOT discounting the cost of running the board. which is WHY i paid my 10 euros BEFORE I started to take part in it. Equally well I could site FAR busier boards that don't require such a contribution....

Now, given that my experience so far has been a) a snippy reply to a perfectly civilised technical question B) a distinct LACK of substance and now c) A piece of downright insolence from a MODERATOR of all people you'll appreciate that I am now EXTREMELY glad I didn't pay for a year's VIP membership!

What's it worth? Not a lot

As for you two-tone. The only person who has spread excrement of "your" very own slice of personal power that you call a "community" is yourself. As a moderator the rational, conscise and intellectually sparking way in which you've dealt with my comments speak volumes about you and your community. It was SO incisive of you to pick up on and offer cogent counter to the points I've made.

So I've failed to make the distinction between admin and dealer? NO! SOMEHOW I don't think so..... I notice that STILL neither you nor anyone else haven't explained the coments made to the OP. You know, the ones to the effect that if he wants to know where to buy a watch he should upgrade????

Why don't I start my own forum? I spend my working life producing television, video and multimedia content. Why the HELL would I want to come home at night and start faffing about with this sort of trivia??????.....

But hey; Two-Tone; tell you what. Why don't you take "YOUR" personal private community over which you hold such IMMENSE and awe-inspiring power and.... #Well you know where you can shove it!

NO doubt all the hunyaks will be out with the daggers and cat-calls.. I really don't give a toss.... THIS?? is your "community" Well bright spark, given the 'welcome' you have in store for new members you better start a breeding programme; otherwise your poulation can ONLY possibly go into decline... If you were brighter than a 5 watt lightbulb you'd realise that ANY community depends on new blood to sustain and expand itself... But if you prefer your own personal cabal fine with me!

I'm scrambling my password and deleting my bookmarks to this site.... It's obviously a complet waste of time and effort.

TT; have the 10 Euros with my compliments.... No doubt it represents a week's wages for somebody!

I do, the "Q" was banned and ignored very soon after he arrived on the site...

Sure has a lot to say, but none is of interest to me.

RG

BULL!!!

I only came across this site a few weeks ago!!

So, how come I'm here posting Now???? DUH

A few weeks green, and already throwing daggers at the heart of what it takes to maintain a board that

you claim not to need.

I Agree with Two Tone,... Why bother ?

From your long winded posts that waste more bandwidth than your shortsighted comments could

ever overcome...

Maybe The Zigmeister was looking into a crystal ball.... :g:

A few weeks green, and already throwing daggers at the heart of what it takes to maintain a board that

you claim not to need.

I Agree with Two Tone,... Why bother ?

From your long winded posts that waste more bandwidth than your shortsighted comments could

ever overcome...

Maybe Ziggy was looking into a crystal ball.... :g:

I don't know what it is, but I seem to be able to sniff out those who have verbal dirreah and can't get along with anyone...seems strange that all of these folks talk the same way, brag about the successes they have, own a HUGE business, etc, etc.. Funny that their composure and posts here get them on the bad side of everyone in a week or so, seems to go against the claims that they all run huge successful businesses. People who are successful in business, are way smarter than these goofs...

It all seems so familar to me, over and over, I think it's the same person who is just here to stir the pot.

I am sure they, he, whatever it is, will pop up in a couple of weeks again, to share some of their wisdom with us who know so little...

RG

I don't know what it is, but I seem to be able to sniff out those who have verbal dirreah and can't get along with anyone...seems strange that all of these folks talk the same way, brag about the successes they have, own a HUGE business, etc, etc.. Funny that their composure and posts here get them on the bad side of everyone in a week or so, seems to go against the claims that they all run huge successful businesses. People who are successful in business, are way smarter than these goofs...

It all seems so familar to me, over and over, I think it's the same person who is just here to stir the pot.

I am sure they, he, whatever it is, will pop up in a couple of weeks again, to share some of their wisdom with us who know so little...

RG

The man is an arrogant c0ck The Zigmeister like so many other that pop up every now and then. He is so well connected and successful, yet he still needs to visit replica watch bulletin boards... :whistling: