When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Omega Seamaster Pro (Bond) from PT

Stephane

Dear All,

I gave a very good friend of mine my Ultimate Sub and my Pug's Asian SMP GMT Bond so he could wear them for a while.  :D

Of course I let him choose from all others, but he focused on the Omega.  ^_^

I had to push him to take the sub too!  :rolleyes:

Let me say this: he is a very well educated brit, expat in my country…so his taste is more for classic, non obvious and recognisable design such as a Sub. 

Did I hear "Love/Hate Sub syndrome"?

After wearing the things for a while, he told me he liked the Omega very much, but not the sub (wow what a surprise).

He ended asking me to get him an SMP, so I got him the one that is currently available from the manufacturers.

It's PT (PreciousTime) I choose to buy it, once again.

About the deal:

I can't see anything special to say.

Great communication, perfect transaction and quick delivery has PT had it in stock.

:clap:

About the watch:

Well it has the usual flaws, bezel misaligned of course, but it has a major new one: screws in the band instead of pins. Manufacturers do not continue pins said PT.

Ok, the pins were a complete nightmare to size, and they must have had a lot of complains, but, believe me the screws s*cks too!  :disgust:

To size it perfectly, and have the clasp in the center, I need to use both ½ links on each side of the clasp.

Of course, these ones have bloody screws problem: one is impossible to turn (WD40 didn't help this time) and the other one turns but doesn't come out at all (tourne fou in French). So I had to remove them with a full link!  :protest:

Also, there are few full links featuring screws that you can remove.

At least, I was lucky that I could remove the ones I needed to take out and those screws were alright.

Anyway, as usual, PT is helpful and will send me some extra links +1/2 links, so it should be ok at the end.

Right now, my friend will have to wear it very very tight.

Conclusion

PT is a great collector, for sure.

This purchase shows me that whoever you are ordering from, bear in mind the collector is not the manufacturer.

It reminds me the saga to get myself an Omega SMP GMT (the black/grey bezel one) with the correct date wheel colour and outlined date window.

It's really crazy that these manufacturers change their mind so often and do not learn from the end users what they should keep and what they should change.

Anyway, this is the Rep world…and we all love it, isn't it?  :throb:

Thanks for reading, and now here are the pics.  :smilie3:

Cheers

Stephane

OmegaSMP_800_01.jpg

OmegaSMP_800_02.jpg

OmegaSMP_800_03.jpg

OmegaSMP_800_04.jpg

OmegaSMP_800_05.jpg

OmegaSMP_800_06.jpg

OmegaSMP_800_07.jpg

OmegaSMP_800_08.jpg

OmegaSMP_800_09.jpg

OmegaSMP_800_10.jpg

OmegaSMP_800_11.jpg

OmegaSMP_800_12.jpg

OmegaSMP_800_13.jpg

Awesome photos, Stephane :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Mkes me miss my SMP something chronic though... I got a call from the watchsmith today and they confirmed it will need a total movement swap as I'd killed it (apparently beyond repair, but I don't see how if all I touched were the regulating and beat arms...) The new movement is costing twice what I paid for the watch. Economically, it would be cheaper to buy an entirely new watch. Emotionally, that isn't an option, as I paid for the watch with a small amount of money my gran left for me before passing away. (It wasn't inheritance money, but it was money she wanted me to have) so that watch has some real emotional meaning, even though I only wore it for a few days before failing to regulate it... Enought about my woes though... Awesome photos and awesome watch, I'm sure your friend will love it.

See, this is the Omega I should have bought myself. I've had two Seamasters, one of which Stephane has now, and each one was bought instead of this one, even though I knew this was the one I wanted.

Still, the PO was the better move, but as soon as they have the Co-Axial version of this out, I'll have to get it.

Grats on the new watch Stephanie. Don't have to tell you how nice this watch is.

sucks your jammed up like that TeeJay. Why not buy a new one, and swap the movement into the old one yourself? Maybe someone can do it for you here cheaper if you don't want to try yourself.

sucks your jammed up like that TeeJay. Why not buy a new one, and swap the movement into the old one yourself? Maybe someone can do it for you here cheaper if you don't want to try yourself.

Well, it was my own fault for not heeding my own advise about leaving regulation to the professionals... I could buy another and swap the movements myself, I've done that before with no problems whatsoever (untill I then tried to regulate the movements...) but I'd then be left with a duplicate watch I'd have no need for, so it's just as easy to pay for the repair :)

See, this is the Omega I should have bought myself. I've had two Seamasters, one of which Stephane has now, and each one was bought instead of this one, even though I knew this was the one I wanted.

Wanna buy mine?!?

No chance..... :p

• 2 weeks later...
Would you have to buy a complete bezel - http://www.ofrei.com/page663.html - or is there somewhere you can buy just the insert?

Yes, unfortunately, you would have to buy the entire bezel to get a gen insert. Every once in a while someone on ebay is selling a gen bezel and/or insert......

Yes, unfortunately, you would have to buy the entire bezel to get a gen insert. Every once in a while someone on ebay is selling a gen bezel and/or insert......

that is a $$$ option though. Isn't it.

I mean for a 5 or 10k watch, why not but for a 1.5K ???

But for an Omega, where you can a used one under $1k, is it worth spending another $200 for the bezel just to get the insert, more or less the pearl? I heard that the gen bezels, again from what i have heard, don't exactly fit the rep case.

For the Bond Seamasters, try getting an insert that is used on the SMP Chronograph, since that has the closest look to a gen pearl.

A classic. I wear my goold old SMP rep at least once every week.

Personally, I don't care whether my watch had pins or screws. That's just something that absolutely NOBODY would ever notice.

PS: If someone could provide those spare SMP chrono rep inserts, I'd buy two.

But for an Omega, where you can a used one under $1k, is it worth spending another $200 for the bezel just to get the insert, more or less the pearl?

I agree and wouldn't go down that avenue.. far too much money to spend on a mod for a relatively cheap watch. I'll keep an eye on ebay for the insert, but I haven't come across one yet.

PS: If someone could provide those spare SMP chrono rep inserts, I'd buy two.

I'd be in for one as well!

Edited by azerbyjam

Those are lovely pics. They make me want to go and wear my SMP. (For some reason I always have the hardest time deciding on what watch to wear when the weekend approaches.)

As for the bracelet screws, I share your sentiments about the poor quality of the screws and the need for a more configurable bracelet.

Guest lacklusterplus

What is the pricing like on these now? Is there any specific dealer with better pricing/shipping times?

Any dealer that will set the bezel correctly before shipping? <_<

I agree and wouldn't go down that avenue.. far too much money to spend on a mod for a relatively cheap watch. I'll keep an eye on ebay for the insert, but I haven't come across one yet.

I'd be in for one as well!

So am I!

I bought 2 inserts from ebay in the past. But they're all aftermarket and not even close to the gen. The pearl is way too big and colors are different blue.

Might me consider buying the complete gen bezel, take off the insert and put in on my rep. Expensive, but at least my mind will be at ease.... :)

What is the pricing like on these now? Is there any specific dealer with better pricing/shipping times?

Any dealer that will set the bezel correctly before shipping? <_<

It is too bad none of these dealers will fix this problem. I think TTK has a version of this watch that he mods a bit to fix this problem. I have never ordered from him and not sure how to go about it. This is a known problem and should be fixed by the dealers in house.