When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

6152 with cal. 618!

madasboot

Just to share a brief moment of happiness with you guys.

My cal. 618 powered 6152 is finally (almost*) finished.

Major part of the work was accomplished today afternoon.

specs are:

Fiddy polished case (the "Reg. T.M." was brushed off the CG) bought from Chris 4 months ago;

Luminor Panerai Marina Militare with subsecond dial bought from Sigi and vintageized using my latest technique...

Corteb

hi madasboot,

i'm very curiously about your result.

it's assuredly very interesting, it sounds promisingly.

thanks

rolli

Rolli,

Thank you for your comment. :) and sorry to kep you curious about this one.

I wouldnt mind to take some pics if I had a good camera available right now. I prefer to post some good pics with all the works finished and done.

I believe this to be my ultimate (and last) vintage project.

Its my 5th accomplished vintage and there is not much more to do on vintage Pams (besides a 2533 maybe... :) ) and since I do not like other watches I think I have reached the end of the line.

Problem is I started to like all the process involved along these projects and I have learned a lot along the road.

My resources and contacts are now unique and I am proud to say that I have been working with the best watchsmiths, "crystalsmiths", leathersmiths and engraver around...

Sadly they are old men and their art, skills and techniques will die with them.

I cannot describe the joy involving their work on these projects of mine and their willingness to teach.

Unfortunatelly my profession doesnt allow me much time to stick around with them.

I would like to say that besides the coordination of all the tasks the results are all to their credit.

I wish them all the best and long years ahead.

As I sincerelly do to you and all the friendly members here who have been contributing to my motivation in what I call the worst months of my life.

Thank you all for that.

Sincerelly,

M.

yes it's much worth to know and to have this kind of contacts.

my watchsmith, direct near my home and office, he's the same worthwhile contact.

he makes everything for me, he's a little bit sensible but a really good friend.

i know this watch-work is sometimes nerved, i want anything always fast and then

i have to slow down myself.

we should them carry on hands.

so, by then and take your time with the pictures.

cheers

rolli

Rolli,

Thank you for your comment. :) and sorry to kep you curious about this one.

I wouldnt mind to take some pics if I had a good camera available right now. I prefer to post some good pics with all the works finished and done.

I believe this to be my ultimate (and last) vintage project.

Its my 5th accomplished vintage and there is not much more to do on vintage Pams (besides a 2533 maybe... :) ) and since I do not like other watches I think I have reached the end of the line.

Problem is I started to like all the process involved along these projects and I have learned a lot along the road.

My resources and contacts are now unique and I am proud to say that I have been working with the best watchsmiths, "crystalsmiths", leathersmiths and engraver around...

Sadly they are old men and their art, skills and techniques will die with them.

I cannot describe the joy involving their work on these projects of mine and their willingness to teach.

Unfortunatelly my profession doesnt allow me much time to stick around with them.

I would like to say that besides the coordination of all the tasks the results are all to their credit.

I wish them all the best and long years ahead.

As I sincerelly do to you and all the friendly members here who have been contributing to my motivation in what I call the worst months of my life.

Thank you all for that.

Sincerelly,

M.

i just bought a cortebert mvt as well... but i think i got the wrong caliber :(

It's a 592 R calibre.

But anyways... curious for your frankenPAM :D

YES it is the wrong cal.

592 (592R) exist in 40,5mm or 42.5mm

you need a 616, (617), 618 with 34.5mm (16lignes)

also exist 620... beautiful movement with nice decoartion. It is the newer and thinner version BUT is has a ring and it makes the movement 37mm

ask me before buying a cortebert&angelus movement... I AM NOT LIKE RWI EXPERTS ... I WILL HELP YOU

regards

tourby

YES it is the wrong cal.

also exist 620... beautiful movement with nice decoartion. It is the newer and thinner version BUT is has a ring and it makes the movement 37mm

ask me before buying a cortebert&angelus movement... I AM NOT LIKE RWI EXPERTS ... I WILL HELP YOU

regards

tourby

tourby is always right.

Just do not forget that even between 616, 618 and 620 or 620R are differences in height and diameter.

You will need spacer rings specially tailored to fit those little bastards in a vintage case.

I must tell you that for a 618 is a more complicated operation since the mvmt has some recesses and is thinner than the average mvmts the vintage rep cases were designed for.

It will have to align the stem axis with the crown and the upper border of the ring will have to align with the lower inner border of the bezel.

It will have to be built with height enough to be pressed between caseback and bezel.

The upper wall of the ring will have to be thin enough to align with the interior wall of the bezel and simultaneously house the dial inside. I will try to capture the details on the photos I will post next week.

Since the mvmt is also thinner than the 616 you will have to build new hour wheel and cannon pinion as well and also a work out and fit a higher pivot on the seconds wheel.

If you want an easier job you must definitelly go for a cal. 616 and a RXW case.

I am stubborn as a mule and I almost drove my watchsmith nuts since I insisted on build this vintage from a fiddy case with a 618 and insisting on the subsecond version and not the regular base model.

but a man gotta do what a man gotta do right?

... and as mr. Churchill would say "who dares wins"!

best,

M.

YES it is the wrong cal.

regards

tourby

I should have read this sooner... just bought a 592R.... I don't know if it will fit in a 45mm radiomir case but i will give it a try. I'm not planning to make a 'perfect' vintage panerai... just like the movement better than the asian unitas :D

I should have read this sooner... just bought a 592R.... I don't know if it will fit in a 45mm radiomir case but i will give it a try. I'm not planning to make a 'perfect' vintage panerai... just like the movement better than the asian unitas :D

no chance

592 is tooooooooooo big. You will never find a PAM case wich will fit a 42.5mm movement. Most rep case are for Unitas (36.5mm)

• 3 weeks later...

I can't tell you what happened to me when I saw those pics as it would get censored.

I'll make it easier by pretending I had an heart attack.

I can't tell you what happened to me when I saw those pics as it would get censored.

I'll make it easier by pretending I had an heart attack.

Boomchackawowwow...springs to mind ....that is the most authentic looking vintage panerai I have ever seen ...a masterpiece that could only be replaced by an orginal! Congratulations are due.. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

• 5 months later...

I thank you all for the compliments about my 3646!

I will surely communicate that to my watchsmith who owns major credits for my projects... maybe that can soften him up! He has such a bad temper...

I just do not understand why suddendly all the interest went to the 3646.

IMHO this 6152 is my (our, in fact) major achievement... dont you agree? :smile:

Thats why I brought this topic back from the dead...

A wonderful 2008 to you all!

M.