When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Daytona Cosmograph 6263 - Vj72

watcher

I received my beautiful Valjoux movement this week and finally got it inside tonight. Tell me what you think!

Specs andparts used:

DW version 1 case

Gen Tropic 21 with slight marks!

Genuine 24-700 Early triplock crown( very rare now)

Case countersunk to fit modern 7mm tube and allow it to accept the 700 crown. You just cannot find these ealry tubes anymore so I took the risk in modifying the case and the reult is great.

DW Mystery movement dial(not perfect but I'm happy with it)

Donor VJ72 with microstellar wheel.

Aftermarket bezel with nice recessed acrylic insert.

Hand set from DW.

Bracelet from Ebay which is not quite right so I will change it when the correct one comes along.

Genuine pins in the end links

Now for the pics.

264401-4820.jpg

264401-4821.jpg

264401-4822.jpg

264401-4823.jpg

Guest avitt

Good stuff, watcher (looks just like the 6263 that's sitting on my bench).

I am curious about the 700 crown. How did you get this to fit a modern Triplock tube? I have one of these, and the threads start at the very top (or bottom, depending on your perspective) of the crown. It would not screw down past the o-ring area on a Triplock tube. If possible, please take picture with the crown backed out, so we can see how you've solved this problem. Thanks.

The cure is quite drastic. You are right in saying it does not go past the o-ring. Using my dremel I slimmed down the tube which mean't removing the o-ring section and countrsinking the case so the tube would fit further inside so the crown would screw down flush to the case.

Here are 2 pics for you to see what I mean. The tube has a small o-ring where it tightens to the case and 2 inside the tube.

264407-4818.jpg

264407-4819.jpg

Wow that is one beauty... I am exactly in the same process at this moment. Have the same special crown...It took ages indeed to have found it. Now that is a nice solution for the tube... but is there so much meat on the tube that it can be slimmed down that much... Really drastic indeed but wort the while if I see your result! Great tip! Watcher do you mind sharing where you have found the bezel... I am looking for one like that.... please PM me.

There is one thing left for your project IMHO. That is a coronet transplant. I am really impressed with your results. Wear it in good health...

By the way what tool do you use to insert the tube?

Beautiful job, watcher, congratulations!

I particularly like your creative solution for the case tube for the 24-700 crown

BTW, I was looking at my little chart and the 78350/19 is right for the 6263/5 series bracelet, but it lists 571 end pieces. Of course, your end pieces don't look bad- especially being closed on the back side. I guess it has solid mid-links.

I'd love to see a pic of the movement in the case and your microstella balance.

I am really impressed with your tube enhancement. A few of us have talked about modding a tube to fit a 24-700 crown... I've been afraid to do it.

I have been looking for a genuine 24-7000 tube for years for my 5513. I'm going to remove the Twinlock and go Triplock. My '68 Sub needs to be totally hermetically sealed. Too bad since I've got a lovely NOS Twinlock crown sitting around...

PS. Nice Daytona, and I formally welcome you to the V72 Daytona club!

Thanks for the nice comments guys. I took a risk doing the crown mod but the result was definately worth the risk. Time to enjoy her for a while now before any other alterations such as a better coronet position and correct bracelet asnd end links. :thumbsupsmileyanim: