When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex Sea Dweller Single Red: some mods done, some left to be done

Stephane

Dear All,

Here is a pictorial of my second trade with Phoband.

About the deal

This time I tried to negotiate the price but, no way, Phoband is a good negotiator ;)

So, once we agreed on the price, the watch was send to FlavorFav to align the dial.

Then, it was shipped to me and landed safely, although I feared it would be held at customs as I received a letter at the same time the watch was shipped back.

About the current mods

This Sea Dweller is an MBW and the current mods that were done are a Clark 39 crystal and a Ubi datewheel. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Phoband also included a gen crown.

(If you have a gen tube, feel free to PM me)  :whistling:

Isn't it a very very good start ?

What is going to happen next

Well, I have a project with these Sea Dwellers, and, currently, the watch is packed again and will travel tomorrow to one of our great members to continue the modding process.

Conclusion

It's not my first deal with Phoband and once again I'm happy with the deal and do recommend him.  :yu:

Thanks for reading, and now here are the pics.

Cheers

Stephane

RolexSeaDwellerSingleRed_800_01.jpg

RolexSeaDwellerSingleRed_800_02.jpg

RolexSeaDwellerSingleRed_800_03.jpg

RolexSeaDwellerSingleRed_800_04.jpg

RolexSeaDwellerSingleRed_800_07.jpg

RolexSeaDwellerSingleRed_800_08.jpg

RolexSeaDwellerSingleRed_800_09.jpg

RolexSeaDwellerSingleRed_800_05.jpg

RolexSeaDwellerSingleRed_800_06.jpg

RolexSeaDwellerSingleRed_800_10.jpg

RolexSeaDwellerSingleRed_800_11.jpg

Stunning- Look at that DOME SHINE :)

It just wasn't my style - but its a great piece. Defiantly has a gen "feel" to it. Solid sharp.

I suppose your doing the other "must do" mods to it. - :)

If your into the SD's this is a keeper

I'm looking at my watches now and there is something i want to buy and i'm trying to figure out what to sell to go get it - and i just can't seem to part with them -

I suppose your doing the other "must do" mods to it. - :)

If your into the SD's this is a keeper

Well, some tips ;) :

- I have a Great White, I received your Single Red now and a Double Red is on it's way from TTK.

- The Great White is being modded right now.

- Yours is travelling tomorrow to our mysterious modder B)

- The DR will travel too soon

Yes, you guessed. The trilogy, with all possible mods done including aging of course :D .

You really love those vintage! Looking forword to some of your great shots of the whole family.

I have a TTK Great White and it is my all time fav Rollie.

You're damn right ! I didn't expect to love them so much a year ago.

And you're right again: the Great White is the best one, my favourite.

If only Euno didn't post a 5513... :wounded1: I guess I'll end up with one too :animal_rooster:

Cheers

Stephane

Great watch! The date wheel & T-39 look great. An acrylic pearl would be a very nice finishing touch.

I don't know if this will save you some trouble but a gen 5513 is considerably smaller & lighter than the 1665 & again smaller compared (slimmer case) to the 1680. Sometimes, size does matter. :)

• 2 months later...

Not accurate, but NICE.

One of the Rarest of the Rare.

I hope to see it again once it is correct, perhaps a whole series of photos documenting it's transformation...

What would be the things I would most expect to see on a rare SRSD, of which there are only a small handfull of known Gens to compare against?

TWIN-LOCK CROWN...

A more "even" and severe curve to the sides of the case, especially from the CG to Lugs that makes the case seem to disappear behind the bezel and the Lugs more "fine"...

Submariner Back with "OYSTER GAS ESCAPE VALVE" and "Patent Pending" engraved around the outside edge, not the more familiar engraving in the center...

Smaller Escape Valve at 9.

A PROPER VINTAGE BRACELET!!!

Your dial, hands and crystal however are almostperfect.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for looking at this thread but please note we're nowhere close to the end of the changes.

HEV drilling and dummy install

Dial and hands aging

Case smoothing

Caseback "MM"

CG Shaved

Genuine Crown Install

Genuine Doomed Tropic 39

Drilling LugHoles

Genuine SpringBars

Ubi DateWheel

Mystery Bezel

To give you a sneak peak, here is an attachment of the state right now...

Cheers

Stephane

post-4865-1188202728_thumb.jpg

As Phantom says, the SRSD is not really believable but significanlty less so if it's not in a 1680 case (not the all-round thicker 1665) with HeV and the PP caseback engraving. Triplock crown IS accurate though.

Since it sounds like you're planning some hard core mods, and investing some hard core cash :D I'd take a look and search to see if you can find Saabin's SRSD or PM him since he's now back amongst us - he created a stunning prototype 1665 a couple of years back on old RWG.

Hmmm, 1972~3 Triplock on "1967" watch.... don't think so doc.

Yeah, I know the Triplocks were in experimental use barely before the birth of this watch, but definitely not sold then.

Yeah, I know you'll find the Triplocks on COMEX's earlier than 1972~3, but those were all serviced and upgraded continually by Rolex (probably what happened to quite a lot of those very early "Single Red" 500-1650 dials, and why there are so few now)

Triplock on a "IV 67 - 1665" ... may as well weld CG's to a 6202 or cut a date window in the dial of 6541.

Hmmm, 1972~3 Triplock on "1967" watch.... don't think so doc.

Yeah, I know the Triplocks were in experimental use barely before the birth of this watch, but definitely not sold then.

Yeah, I know you'll find the Triplocks on COMEX's earlier than 1972~3, but those were all serviced and upgraded continually by Rolex (probably what happened to quite a lot of those very early "Single Red" 500-1650 dials, and why there are so few now)

Triplock on a "IV 67 - 1665" ... may as well weld CG's to a 6202 or cut a date window in the dial of 6541.

Actually Triplock is accurate/realistic for just that reason. All SRSDs (a prototype available only to a selected few) were recalled to the RSCs every few months or so for upgrades during this assessment period. A triplock crown/tube assembly would have been installed without fail in the late 60s/early 70s prior to the release of the DRSD - as you say yourself, Trips were in experimental use earlier, and the 1665 was the actual testbed model that drove the development of them in the firstplace. I don't believe there is a SRSD in existence that is in original twinlock spec. Regardless, aside from "accuracy to original" (a somewhat redundant notion on a prototype model), the Triplock confers much greater protection on such a rare and valuable watch so it would have been done at some point anyway.

Actually Triplock is accurate/realistic for just that reason. All SRSDs (a prototype available only to a selected few) were recalled to the RSCs every few months or so for upgrades during this assessment period. A triplock crown/tube assembly would have been installed without fail in the late 60s/early 70s prior to the release of the DRSD - as you say yourself, Trips were in experimental use earlier, and the 1665 was the actual testbed model that drove the development of them in the firstplace. I don't believe there is a SRSD in existence that is in original twinlock spec. Regardless, aside from "accuracy to original" (a somewhat redundant notion on a prototype model), the Triplock confers much greater protection on such a rare and valuable watch so it would have been done at some point anyway.

Actually, with that damn nice 'original' looking SRSD (which is now aged a bit too much - only MHO) it is INACCURATE for that reason. The original SRSD 500-1650 were changed out with the crowns and tubes during service, Triplock means deeper, so, new dial... those with Trips are now sporting COMEX, "GW" and, occasionally correctly, the sometime later the "RED OVER GW" which are usually PINK or completely faded now, with those neat little aggravatingly complicated to duplicate serifs we all know and love that the 'original' or REAL, if you will, SRSD dial (the one replicated here) didn't have...

And there is at LEAST 1 that survived without "over-mauling", er over-hauling at the spa. (basically any NON-COMEX stood half a chance of surviving unscathed, there are probably a few more in forgotten footlockers, sea bags and wardrobes somewhere in Australia, Italy, France and elsewhere ...)

I can even give you the name of the original owner of at least one that survived...

This is your 1665? wow thats incredible

I think i just came in my pants... please post more pictures as soon as you can

Lonnie

Hi Guys,

Thanks for looking at this thread but please note we're nowhere close to the end of the changes.

HEV drilling and dummy install

Dial and hands aging

Case smoothing

Caseback "MM"

CG Shaved

Genuine Crown Install

Genuine Doomed Tropic 39

Drilling LugHoles

Genuine SpringBars

Ubi DateWheel

Mystery Bezel

To give you a sneak peak, here is an attachment of the state right now...

Cheers

Stephane

This is your 1665? wow thats incredible

I think i just came in my pants... please post more pictures as soon as you can

Lonnie

Hi Lonnie,

It's my single red...MM ;)

I will make a separate thread, and try to post some nice story and pics for sure.

Cheers

Stephane

• 2 weeks later...

Nice one Stephane... hope to be able to join you in a similar project :D

When i'm correct this 500m single red SD is no MBW... the case seems slightly thiner. Very good as well for a 5514 project i assume, but correct me if i'm wrong... i'm no expert like you.

I'm looking forward to more pictures of the work done :)

Hi YelloM

I wish I was an expert but I'll let the real expert coment on this.

To my opinion, this is a MBW.

But, recently, say in the last couple of months, I've discovered some precious information: MBW/MBW/...are not always the exact same all the time.

See, when buying from a "regular" collector, the watches are completely made in series in the same factory, from part 1 to the last one.

MBW/MBK are assembled in Bangkok from parts coming from various sources.

Of course, the MBW/MBK cases are the ones that accept gen parts and probably never varies, but the rest (dials, crowns,...) might be different one from the other.

Now, if you think this case is thiner, it might be the picture which shows a different angle.

Anyway, we'll soon have the finished product so stay tuned.

Cheers

Stephane

Stephane, if the crown on your case is centered, then I suspect you have the correct thick MBW 1665 type case. On every other thinner case that I've seen (MBW, MBK or otherwise), the crown would be a tad low.

BTW, I am far from an expert but own several of these & have noticed a thing or two. :D

Cheers,

J