When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What's everyone paying for fuel?

offshore

There is a reason for this, and it is because as a prison guard you are putting your life at risk. Seems to be a good reason to pay someone alot to do a little.
Over here a jet pilot at the ariforce gets about 1.500-2000$ a month. Those also put their lifes at risk, and still dont get much more than a factory worker :( i believe jet pilots get a lot more in the us, dont they?

OK, well an orthopeic surgeon is different than a hospital doctor. Average in the US for that is $157K which seems a little more in line to me than the $276K you mentioned. Doctors in general don't make what they used to around here. Unfortunally, I wish we were like Germany in that our school teachers should be paid more. I don't know how many of them do it.

As for the equivalence for schooling in the US, I don't know how to compare that with the EU. But, I can tell you that all schools in the US are not created equal. There can be dramatic differences in the levels of education between different schools throughout the country. I'm sure the EU is the same.

Some very interesting points you bring up though! :)

Now, to get back on topic ;), I have seen over $4/gallon here in southern california. Makes me want to get my own filling tank at home so I can keep these 'low' prices before they skyrocket even more.

Well, there might be differences in the schools, but still they all have to do the same stuff at the same time. My senior AP English class was as a matter of fact easier than the english class over in germany. And WE dont even have the highest education standarts... If you look at Japan... man, those kids are almost rocket scientists when they are 15 years old!

And btw. a heart transplatn surgeon earns almost 400k, and works at a hospital also ;) i'm pretty sure alltogether the average is above 200k for a doctor (regardless of specialization)

when i read those numbers... 400k a year... some even get a million at berkeley... it pisses me off, that I droped my biology classes a long time before graduating and switches to econ!

OnTopi: 4$/Gallon ist still CHEAP :)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Over here a jet pilot at the ariforce gets about 1.500-2000$ a month. Those also put their lifes at risk, and still dont get much more than a factory worker :( i believe jet pilots get a lot more in the us, dont they?

Actually a bit of a silly statement there Slay, the Airforce is part of your countries services of course they don't pay much, how much does a civilian jet pilot earn?

Ken

Actually a bit of a silly statement there Slay, the Airforce is part of your countries services of course they don't pay much, how much does a civilian jet pilot earn?

Ken

Aparently its not a silly statement. see for yourself:

As a Pilot trainee, your starting salary can range from $1,870 to $3,980, depending on your educational qualifications. Once you earn your wings, your salary will increase, ranging from $3,980 to $7,255 for a start.

You start at almost 2000$ a month as a trainee!

Those Jet pilots are doing a helluva job, it would be just right for them to earn at least as much as civilian pilots. Its silly to think, just because they are doing "countries services" they can be exploited while risking their life every day!

Prison Guard is also "countries service", or what do you think WHO the guards protect? Large Companies? No, its YOU and your family who is protected by prison guards.

btw. a civilian earns about 5000-10000$ but you cant compare a JET Pilot to a civilian pilot. Flying an F16 and flying a B747 arent even the same ballpark!

Edited by slay

Guest overboosted

You are comparing American prison guards to British (or wherever you are from, sorry) Air Force Pilots.

A US Air Force pilot makes way more than a prison guard. And if in during war, WAAAAY more.

Ms. A and I cart around 5 kids in an Excusrion--even w/ me taking the metro whenever possible, @ 3 bucks that's a genuine Pannie's worth of gas every 10 months.

Remember guys, stop buying reps 'casue like the Justice Department says, fake watches fund terror. And we all know that not one cent of the billions we literally pump into the economy of our pals over in Saudi has ever bought a tenth of a gram of plastique strapped to a suicide bomber's torso.

Okay now let's put it all into perspective. Consider a fillup at $3/gallon for a 20 gallon tank. Sixty bucks. At $2.79/gallon that same 20 gallons was $55.80 The difference is $4.20

So you can drive your car for a week, NOT drink one mocha, and it's a draw.

Where's the crisis again?

How can you stay alive w/o Mocha!!!!!

I'll be like this w/o it! :velho:

OK

So it appears that in the US, it would be fair to say that an average price is around $3/gallon.

How does this equate to our $5 + and some prices I see there from the UK and Europe, which are even higher? Surely the oil has to be shipped- so the freight content, would not vary much? One would expect there not to be too larger variance in processing costs ( I realise that the US is a much larger market- so the costs may be marginally lower), but that still doesn't explain these huge variances.

The only other thought I have would be taxes- I know in Oz we pay a VERY large tax on fuel ( interestingly some states are lower than others) but the state tax is not big. Its our Federal government who take the lions share :thumbdown:

Does anyone know the % your govenment tack on for (whatever) tax?

Offshore

@Gran

You bike to work too? COOL!!!!!!!!!!!! ME TOO!!!!!!!!!!! Mtn bike or road bike? And how many miles so far? I've got about 19,500 miles on my favorite mtn bike, and 6,000 miles on my road bike.

My "fuel" is White Lighning chain lube... $5 a half-pint and it lasts me about 500 miles.

Here's my commute:

34084-39726.jpg

On this beauty:

34084-39727.jpg

All that snow...... :wub:

There is no way I can compete with you BOb. I ski to work when the snow conditions are like that :lol:

I have a DBS bike and it is the old fashion type bike not offroad and not the skinny wheel type and its only a 4 kilometeres bike distance to work so only 8km a day for me :)

OK

So it appears that in the US, it would be fair to say that an average price is around $3/gallon.

How does this equate to our $5 + and some prices I see there from the UK and Europe, which are even higher? Surely the oil has to be shipped- so the freight content, would not vary much? One would expect there not to be too larger variance in processing costs ( I realise that the US is a much larger market- so the costs may be marginally lower), but that still doesn't explain these huge variances.

The only other thought I have would be taxes- I know in Oz we pay a VERY large tax on fuel ( interestingly some states are lower than others) but the state tax is not big. Its our Federal government who take the lions share :thumbdown:

Offshore

If I remember correctly, the federal and state taxes here in carolina make up about 40 cents per gallon? I may be off cause I'm going from memory at what I've seen on the gas pumps.

There must be some aspect of tariffs involved too. In Venezuela they drill and produce their own crude, then refine it and sell it in-country for about 12 to 20 cents/gallon.

Here in Alaska we drill and produce our own crude, then refine it and sell it in-state for about $3/gallon. Granted most of it goes out of state. But I can drive to Nikiski to buy fuel and it's nowhere near 20 cents/gal.

That's because everything's more 'refined' in the U.S., Nanuq.

Even the polar bears walk around in expensive white fur coats.

OK

Offshore

Because most countries besides the US dont go into war in order to secure Oil deliverys :)

but are not as high as ours and have been LOW LOW LOW LOW in the past :)

i've been paying around 6bucks a gallon for YEARS now, it only increased about 60-70cents over the past few years. I recall that last time I was in the US, Gas was at 1,80 (unleaded) per gallon, and that was in q1 '05

its only fair that you guys have to pay a little bit more now and understand, why we europeans cant afford to drive big mofo SUV with 12miles per gallon! :D

Won't go there slay- that becomes political :Jumpy:

One thing I got very peeved about at our old home, was the religious/political threads, and am avowed to not starting/getting involved in any!

This was a discussion about fuel prices- because it is topical at this time.... sure it may have political undertones.. but that is neither the intent, nor the substance.

Gee we could even have a mod come in and caution us :p

BTW and I know this is :offtopic: , I must say I am encouraged that you have chosen to offer much useful discourse to the forum of late. It really is so much better when the input is positive, and yours of late has been exemplary. Great stuff.

So lets not run off in to a political abyss, ............ Who's got the best sub? :lol:

offshore