When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What's everyone paying for fuel?

offshore

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we hold the record 1.14 eur per litre

Greece

John

Here in Oz, fuel just hit A$1.50/litre, for unleaded. A quick conversion ( hope I got it right!) shows that this equals U$5.18 per US gall.

How does this equate with what you are paying?

offshore

11 to 12 Norwegian kroners a liter :) about USD 1.70 a litre and thats probably the most expensive gasoline in the world...but we dont care because our salaries are quite high and Oil is our major export product together with gas. BTW I bike to work.

I think we hold the record 1.14 eur per litre

Greece

John

I paid 1,42Euros per Litre (thats about 6,70$ per Gallon (YES, almost SEVEN Dollars per GALLON!)

just bought gas about 10 minutes ago at $2.89/gallon for the cheap stuff (87 octane)

WTF? Last year it was like 1.80$ per gallon over in the US!!

But its still less than half what we pay over here for gas!

I dont agree whit Gran gas prices are to high.

Since we pay around 50%ekstra on cars and motorbikes compard to USA when we buy one either gas or the tax on cars/bikes shoud be much much lower :thumbdown:

Not all the people in Norway makes lots of money regular income people barly makes it true the day. :angry:

And some ppl in the US even earn much more money... I read an article today:

Doctor at a Hospital in Germany earns 56.000$ avg.

Doctor at a Hispital in the USA earns 276.000$ avg.

BUT German doctors have a better education and are the better doctors.

Still cars and gas is cheaper in the US :D

A Mustang 05 can be bought for 17.000$

Over here, the same car retails for 40.000EUROS (~49.000$)

A Mustang 05 can be bought for 17.000$

Over here, the same car retails for 40.000EUROS (~49.000$)

I couldn't afford the cars you were talking about buying in one of your other threads and I make over 100k per year. A bmw z4 costs double of what a mustang does...

Doctor at a Hospital in Germany earns 56.000$ avg.

Doctor at a Hispital in the USA earns 276.000$ avg.

BUT German doctors have a better education and are the better doctors.

I would love to see this article. There is no way doctors in the US make that much $$. And, what basis is there that german doctors have better education and are better doctors?

I would love to see this article. There is no way doctors in the US make that much $$. And, what basis is there that german doctors have better education and are better doctors?

Most of the Major EU countries, especially the UK have better education systems than the US, the reason that the US Universities have such high reputations is the elitism that occurs with many Ivy League schools.

The standard and level of eductaion in the UK and other EU states is higher than in the US, most US freshman and sophmore courses can be used at Higher and Advanced higher courses in the UK (High Scool), which we regularly do.

I believe that this is quite possibly the basis for the education comment.

It is for this reason that there are a MASSIVE number of americans who are gifted coming to the top universities in the UK to study at a faster pace and higher level. Especially the likes of Edinburgh, Cambridge, and Oxford.

Ten days ago I gassed up our Saab here in California for $2.69US a gallon. Yesterday it was $3.26US a gallon at the same station and the same pump.

Luckily I ride my bike to work most days, as does my wife :thumbsupsmileyanim:

But hey, the Bush/Republicans are giving the oil companies big tax breaks so I'm sure the prices will come down soon :thumbdown:

see for yourself:

http://swz.salary.com/salarywizard/layouts...ocode=&x=34&y=5

the median (nationwide) for an orthopedic surgeon (for example) is $306,664 per year. In LA the median is $349,526. Aparently there IS a way that doctors make that much $$$ in the USA...!

And whats the basis for europeans having better education? Mostly what Edge already said.

And a little example:

When I was in 10th grade in Germany, I went to a High School in america for a year. Thy put me in 12th grade over there, and even though I had a C- at best in English over in Germany, I was on the Honor Roll and one of the best students of my senior class. Even though I was about 2-3years junger than everybody else. I took the hardest classes I could possibly take (AP Enlish, Calculus, Adv. Math and stuff).

When you graduate in Germany, you are about at the same level as a sphomore College student in the US!

The only problem, why german universitys are not very well known, is because there is really no competition among the universitys over here. College was mostly free of charge. They are now starting to take fees, but they are still a lot lower than in the US (not more than ~900$ per year). Still education is very good over here.

BUT if I was going to be a doctor, I would try to get in a US University and apply for a job over there. Why? Because I would make about 6x as much money :D

Doctor is not a very atrative job over here... you get paid more as a high school teacher! plus most high school teachers can NOT get fired, because they are employed by the government.

I couldn't afford the cars you were talking about buying in one of your other threads and I make over 100k per year. A bmw z4 costs double of what a mustang does...

If a mustang costs 17k, a z4 should cost 34k (according to your statement). thats about as much as i would have to pay. remember i'm paying EUROS. divide that by 1,21 and you get the $ amount!

i dont know what you standart of living is, but i earn a lot less than 100k a year. even if you substract 30k you still have 70k for the year, that is still about 3-4times as much as the average family income :)

and i cant afford a z4 either without a good credit. have to wait till they make me a better offer than 7%!

Edited by slay

All i know is that before I injured my back I was spending $1000 per month on fuel and that was at $120 per litre, I don't think I would have been able to stay on the road at todays prices.

Ken

see for yourself:

http://swz.salary.com/salarywizard/layouts...ocode=&x=34&y=5

the median (nationwide) for an orthopedic surgeon (for example) is $306,664 per year. In LA the median is $349,526. Aparently there IS a way that doctors make that much $$$ in the USA...!

And whats the basis for europeans having better education? Mostly what Edge already said.

And a little example:

When I was in 10th grade in Germany, I went to a High School in america for a year. Thy put me in 12th grade over there, and even though I had a C- at best in English over in Germany, I was on the Honor Roll and one of the best students of my senior class. Even though I was about 2-3years junger than everybody else. I took the hardest classes I could possibly take (AP Enlish, Calculus, Adv. Math and stuff).

When you graduate in Germany, you are about at the same level as a sphomore College student in the US!

The only problem, why german universitys are not very well known, is because there is really no competition among the universitys over here. College was mostly free of charge. They are now starting to take fees, but they are still a lot lower than in the US (not more than ~900$ per year). Still education is very good over here.

BUT if I was going to be a doctor, I would try to get in a US University and apply for a job over there. Why? Because I would make about 6x as much money :D

Doctor is not a very atrative job over here... you get paid more as a high school teacher! plus most high school teachers can NOT get fired, because they are employed by the government.

OK, well an orthopeic surgeon is different than a hospital doctor. Average in the US for that is $157K which seems a little more in line to me than the $276K you mentioned. Doctors in general don't make what they used to around here. Unfortunally, I wish we were like Germany in that our school teachers should be paid more. I don't know how many of them do it.

As for the equivalence for schooling in the US, I don't know how to compare that with the EU. But, I can tell you that all schools in the US are not created equal. There can be dramatic differences in the levels of education between different schools throughout the country. I'm sure the EU is the same.

Some very interesting points you bring up though! :)

Now, to get back on topic ;), I have seen over $4/gallon here in southern california. Makes me want to get my own filling tank at home so I can keep these 'low' prices before they skyrocket even more.

Something to consider...

Bottled water is more expensive than gasoline by orders of magnitude. Good thing our vehicles don't drink water! :o

I wonder who else have childhood memories of hiking through the mountains and coming across a stream with water so good its almost sweet, and someone always exclaimed 'This is so good they should bottle it!'.........and then they did :o

Ken

In America we pay prison guards more than school teachers, generally much more. Plus you don't even need a college degree to be a prison guard :(

Maybe that's why the high school drop out rate in increasing almost as fast as the percentage of young Americans in jail or on parole or probation?

Guest overboosted
In America we pay prison guards more than school teachers, generally much more. Plus you don't even need a college degree to be a prison guard :(

Maybe that's why the high school drop out rate in increasing almost as fast as the percentage of young Americans in jail or on parole or probation?

There is a reason for this, and it is because as a prison guard you are putting your life at risk. Seems to be a good reason to pay someone alot to do a little.