When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I'm starting to crave a MBW 16610

cableguy

anyone got one for sale? lol

My So called perfect has been on my wrist 90% of the time since I got it 2 months ago.... I've been thinking about getting a MBW version and slowly starting to build a franken (crown, tube, insert w/pearl) not sure if I should do it..... what would be the total cost all said and done? and would it be pretty much undetectable from a rep when on my wrist? I want a beautiful watch. I'm also into doing little projects and modding things

Why not mod your so called perfect sub? Crown and tube, good insert w/ pearl, trim the inside of the cg's and you're there. And bklm had a tutorial on how to make a good insert for around $50 yesterday, aftermarket tube from Clark's, and a gen crown for another $50 or so. For under $300 including the cost of the watch, you'd have a very nice 16610.

Stop it cableguy. You're digging yourself into a bigger and bigger hole, like me. Ha ha.

You don't need anyone to tell you it's a lot of work and money to get an MBW 16610 right or any MBW right LOL.

The latest TTK MBW 16610 has one improvement over the older MBW despite its regression on the CG profile and bezel teeth (teeth actually too long but they're not bad). The crystal height and bevel is a step closer to gen's, not overly high crystal and the bevel is little stricter. The bevel esp. really brings out the signature look of the sub. To me, that's worth the upgrade to the MBW along with the deeper rehaut, better bezel, etc. Should you need a noobmariner dial and a bracelet, PM me. I can get those new.

275785-2553.jpg

-bk

Hey CableGuy,

Welcome to the fasinating world of mods...

Good luck though as it's not an inexpensive hobby.

I second Pug when he is saying get a vintage (SD GreatWhite from TTK is affordable).

And BK is right too: Paul's SCP is ok, but, again TTK's 16610 MBW is a much better choice for mods.

@BK and all 16610 experts:

Why does everybody say the NoobMariner Dial and bracelet is so much better than the MBW one ?

Could you post a pic with a Noob, a MBW and a Gen dial side by side ?

It seem to me that the MBW dial is not bad at all ? Maybe I'm wrong and should get a Noob one to swap in my MBW :wounded1:

Cheers

Stephane

the TTK MBW dial is really very good. Compared to the Noobmariner dial, it's just a little bit behind. The minute markers are too tall. You can see the 2 markers around "SWISS MADE" are as tall as the text. You normally find that on 14060. There is a version of the gen dial that has tall markers but still not as tall as the "SWISS MADE" text. The versions that have tall markers are the ones with "SWISS - T < 25" and "SWISS". The markers on those should touch the rehaut though. Here's a side-by-side:

current gen version:

275885-2529.jpg

my MBW with a noobmariner dial:

275885-2530.jpg

same watch with the original dial:

275885-2531.jpg

version with tall markers. Notice they are still not as tall as "SWISS MADE"

275885-2532.jpg

14060 dial, markers are as tall as "SWISS MADE":

275885-2533.jpg

versions with "SWISS" and "SWISS - T < 25", markers are tall on these and they touch the rehaut:

275885-2534.jpg

275885-2535.jpg

-bk

I also think the Noobmariner Dial is a better one... ;)

But back to the question...

First you need the MBW 16610.... what ever you paid :whistling:

Than some parts...

Tube and Crown about 50- 80 Euros

Gen Insert about 50 and 70 Euros

Noob Dial

Noob Bracelet

Maybe the Noob caseback

276023-2504.jpg

I think buy a Perfect Sub from Paul,its not expensive and Eta powered,same as the Noob Sub for about 125 Euros..

Than the mods begin

You need to drill the Tubehole to the right dimension...

But caution there is no place for mistakes.... :black_eye:

276023-2505.jpg

Than make a countersink and retap the hole with a rolex tapping tool

276023-2506.jpg

Than it looks like this

276023-2507.jpg

276023-2508.jpg

After that you can install the tube and crown...

If you need you can make some work on the CG's

You must change the Dial and the datewheel the MBW is not good printed in my opinion...

If you can catch a gen one take it...

276023-2509.jpg

For the insert,there are two solutions...Grind down the gen Insert (Don't damage it) or better grind down Insert a liitle bit and the Bezel.

Than the Insert snaps in like Gen...

276023-2510.jpg

276023-2511.jpg

Maybe you must change the crystal because the mag is about 3X

After this work put your hands on the Noobbracelet,the SEL's must be shaped a littlebit at the ousides to fit the MBW case...

276023-2512.jpg

than you have a nice Frankensub... :1a:

Edited by Tribal

anyone got one for sale? lol

My So called perfect has been on my wrist 90% of the time since I got it 2 months ago.... I've been thinking about getting a MBW version and slowly starting to build a franken (crown, tube, insert w/pearl) not sure if I should do it..... what would be the total cost all said and done? and would it be pretty much undetectable from a rep when on my wrist? I want a beautiful watch. I'm also into doing little projects and modding things

The MBWs are nice, but I'm still a fan of the old school TW Best 16610s with lug holes:

276059-2500.jpg

276059-2501.jpg

@ BK & Tribal

Wow, that is a great lesson guys.

Thank you very much.

Ok, I see why the Noob is needed.

Fortunately I have one coming from TTK but I would prefer to keep it as it is.

It's a piece of legend.

So, I'll source a separate dial and bracelet to put in/on my MBW 1610.

Cheers

Stephane

The MBWs are nice, but I'm still a fan of the old school TW Best 16610s with lug holes:

276169-2475.jpg

276169-2476.jpg

... and i love your 16610 too Chieftang :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I think the Lugholes give this watch some special :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Mine is an oold MBW Case,but i think the TW with lugholes came from the same production..

When somebody can get on of this cases,he is a lucky guy...

Damm great work Chief

Edited by Tribal

• 2 weeks later...