When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

So you think YOU have a watch problem?

Dutchy

We've seen them, a couple members have every rep Submariner imaginable (and duplicates!)....but this guy...over at Timezone has really lost it!!!

275808-2552.jpg

His comment to the picture: "Forgot to post the whole family except one 116520 white dial which my wife is wearing. " :lol:

Now what job do I need to have that?

Imagine how many reps he could buy ;)

that would be a lot of brocken seconds at 6 daytona's, with that many he might get lucky and get one that works.

But is it me or are most of them all the same model?

that would be a lot of brocken seconds at 6 daytona's, with that many he might get lucky and get one that works.

But is it me or are most of them all the same model?

Yes, most are the same model. His signature is also "Daytona xxxx lover", dont remember which model number fits the x's.

His name is Zane over at TZ.

He might be a pawn shop owner and there are a lot of desperate for cash 19year olds that are pawning their daytonas for 1000$. Or he might 'know' somebody who owns such a 'shop'. Or he owns a rolex dealership. Notice on the top row, to the right, there is one in plastic wrap. Now isn't that strange?

BTW: The above are the most plausible options. He might be just a basket case! :p

He might be a pawn shop owner and there are a lot of desperate for cash 19year olds that are pawning their daytonas for 1000$. Or he might 'know' somebody who owns such a 'shop'. Or he owns a rolex dealership. Notice on the top row, to the right, there is one in plastic wrap. Now isn't that strange?

BTW: The above are the most plausible options. He might be just a basket case! :p

Yeah, I'm 19, will be pawning my Daytona tomorrow ;)

I noticed the one in plastic too, but I reckon he just does that to protect it from scratches as its lying there, who knows.

No... Zane is a collector. He also has a very nice collection of Patek Nautilus' (among other Pateks) and Ferraris as well.

More money than sense? Or more money than he knows what to do with...

I've talked to him a couple times, he's a nice guy. Gets very very worked up about his watches. :lol:

Now what job do I need to have that?
Maybe he's a professioal poker player............... :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Where is the sense in buying lots of the same watch......

Looks like they are not all the same watch. Different years all with minute changes that Rolex makes with each series.

Yes... Zane is a very nice fellow. And he has a passion for Daytonas...

He has what might look like the same watches, but they are all, in fact quite different- Even the SS versions. As a collector, he likes dial and bezel variations; with the 16520, there are several to collect. He has quite a few of the early, rare variants, which are going up in value quickly.

As a collector, I respect him, and can only say that if one has the money, they are free to spend it as they like. It might not make much sense to some people... But most times collectors aren't known for behavior that might make sense to the masses. However, to that particular individual, and to those who share the same views/perspectives on the item in question, it might make perfect sense.

YMMV...

It is an obscene waste of money. I have very little time for somebody who could throw that sort of money around like small change....

Different world I suppose, but still....

If that's what makes him happy... Then that's what he should spend his money on.

Watches are a true luxury... We don't need them... We don't need multiple variants of the same watch... But, if that's what floats his boat, and he has the means to fulfill his desire, I don't see anything wrong with that.

Is it obscene? I don't think so... I can think of worse things to be wasting one's money on...

:)

I was checking the forum there again and when asked what people were driving, Zane answered:

"I drive this one most weekend."

277571-2090.jpg

I wonder which Ferrari he drives those "other" weekends!! Probably the same car with different rims considering his liking for the same model watches :lol:

I say to each man his own. If he likes Daytonas, and has the money, I say let him spend it on that. It's just like us, we choose to do whatever we like with our money. His Daytona collection is like an investment, I see some pretty damn rare pieces in that collection, and those are just going up in value. Personally, I've made quite a bit just flipping AP Offshores over the span of a year, the general market prices for genuine watches has risen quite a bit over the last year.

It is an obscene waste of money. I have very little time for somebody who could throw that sort of money around like small change....

Different world I suppose, but still....

For the same reason a man I know collects the same edition of Model A truck? They're not cheap either.

I don't think there is anything obscene in this, but to each his own opinion of course.

He is obviously rich, and he's enjoying himself. As they say in the North, nowt wrong with that. Or to quote Zero Mostel in the original The Producers, "If you got it, flaunt it baby!!".

(Now, if you tell me he's a gangster or something, then my outrage button might be pushed; but on paper, pff, I hope he gets more!)