When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

IWC Cousteau vs. Aquatimer Chrono (Slevin)

mezzanine

I know this is an abstract debate, as the Aquatimer hasn't yet been released. But assuming that the rep maker does a good job on the watch, and there aren't any major issues (outside of possibly quality control :whistling: ), which IWC model would you go with?

For myself, it's more an issue of size, rather than any design merits of one model over the other. I like big watches- I have a HBB, a Pam, uPO, etc...but for some reason, the Cousteau looks like it sits even bigger on the wrist than these already-large watches. That has me wondering whether it's a better idea to wait for the 42mm Aquatimer Chrono to come out. If anyone who owns both the Cousteau and HBB can comment, that would be excellent.

There's another question that I'm not sure of from inspecting pictures of both watches...

The Slevin looks as though it's case slopes upward at the point between the bezel and the case. Sort of like the GST....creating the effect of the watch having a large degree of thickness in the bezel. I've heard the profile view described as "the hockey puck effect". I'm sure I've thoroughly screwed up my description of what I'm trying to describe... <_<

But I'm trying to determine whether the Cousteau has less of an upward angle effect, or if the increased diameter of the Cousteau (it looks like it tapers after the rotating inner bezel) is basically the same as the design of the Aquatimer, with the extra 'ring' on the outside of the bezel simply adding area to the watch.

I think I like the overall look of the Cousteau better, but the size has me a little concerned-

I have the "Costeau divers” 2006, and I love it. I have 6.3 inch wrists and the watch sits on my wrist as if it was tailor made for my wrists.

I am used to 44mm watches because my daily beater for 2,5 years has been a 44mm PAM118. The "Costeau" is a quite a thick watch and as you state because the lugs tapper with a very natural angle from the rotating bezel the thickness is not obvious or is in any way negative to overall looks of the watch.

I.mo. the thickness, 44mm case size, shape of the case, brushed steel finish give the watch character and masculinity. I think the case alone is a high tech modern design master piece. The blue dial with orange touches gives the watch character and and just the right amount of flamboyance without making it look overdone or too loud. Remember the "Aquatimer" is a sports/divers watch, not a dress watch so a touch of flamboyance is i.m.o. right for the watches theme.

I saw the gen "Slevin" at my local A.D. and was not exited what so ever with the black and white dial, my first impression I got seeing the in "Slevin" in person was “dull, lacking character". The 42mm case size of the "Slevin" does make the watch look allot smaller, only 2mm but makes allot of difference optically...

Seeing the two side by side confirmed me that I had made the right choice choosing the "Costeau" above the "Slevin".

What ever choice you make, enjoy your watch & wear it well!

QUOTE(ravishingrick @ Jul 6 2007, 01:37 PM)

I have 5.2 inch wrists and the watch sits on my wrist as if it was tailor made for my wrists.

That's a typo, right?

I had to remeasure. My own scrawny wrists clock in at 6.75". I think we need to send rick a care package of burgers or something.

I would personally choose the Slevin model (if I am correct in thinking this is the white and black version?) I think it is a more subtle look.

That's a typo, right?

:lol: okay guys you got me, the jokes on me... buggers :lol:

I made a mistake converting cm to inches, my wrists are 16cm... so that will be 6.3 inches wright...

Guest Sql_pl

I have a 2006 CD and now after seeing the prototype of the Slevin I think I will stick to my CD.

I mean there is nothing wrong with the rep prototype - it looks great - I acrually feel they made the inner bezel lume nicer than in the CD but the watch itself is kind of boring.

For me the CD is much cooler watch.

It is a limited edition watch.

It has that cool caseback with wooden disc in it.

It is bigger.

It looks great in that blue colour.

Slevin seems to be a really ordinary watch when compared with CD.

At least for me.

On the other hand it would be worth buying if it was made with SS bracelet - then it would be a bit different and it would justify getting it to pair with CD.

Cheers!

I am taking a pass on the 2007 CD. Owning the Mellow Yellow and an Orange PO I have learned my lesson. IMHO, odd colors relegate a watch to weekend wear only. The Slevin is a very subtle and elegant watch. In my case I am just not sure what it adds for those of us who have followed the IWC craze and own both a CD and 3717. At 42mm the 3717 is a more versatile watch with both a bracelet and leather strap option. And how many rubber strap IWC's do you need? I am full of crap though. I am still seriously considering it. This time I will wait for someone else to buy it first. :)

i guess i want them both... and if the non chrono comes out i want that one as well... also want the pilot chrono, the big pilot and desperately need a titanium GST chrono... not that i'm sick or need to see a shrink... :bounce: ...just want them all...

I'm getting the Aquatimer because ... well, because it's a beauty. It's what they should have released instead of the CD in my opinion. Sure, it's not as loud and shiny, but it'd be a more subtle seller, and it'll not date anywhere as near as much as the CD.

Imagine it's coming up to the new year at the end of 2007 and you're picking a watch to wear. Do you think the CD or the BB will still be as exciting then? I bet you'd pick a Slevin or a 3717 over them.

I'm getting the Aquatimer because ... well, because it's a beauty. It's what they should have released instead of the CD in my opinion. Sure, it's not as loud and shiny, but it'd be a more subtle seller, and it'll not date anywhere as near as much as the CD.

Imagine it's coming up to the new year at the end of 2007 and you're picking a watch to wear. Do you think the CD or the BB will still be as exciting then? I bet you'd pick a Slevin or a 3717 over them.

I can understand the concern about the Cousteau and HBB becoming dated, but I don't agree with it. Sometimes watch design truly progresses, and I feel both pieces are more contemporary and reflect a higher level of technical sophistication than some of the classics. I'm not saying that anyone should throw out their sub, but as far as replicas are concerned, they represent a niche market in the watch world that I would otherwise not be able to enter.

If I was buying a gen, I would likely go after something more classic.

One other thing that hasn't been discussed much- but that I *almost* created a separate thread for...is that the Aquatimer represents the first "super rep" to come from a different factory, does it not?

The reason this is significant is that it brings in competition to what had previously been a cornered monopoly market. That should have benefits for all of us, from a future price stand point. There's been a lot of discussion about the escalating costs of the newer reps, and this seems to me to be a positive sign towards a potential movement back towards something more reasonable. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the factory doing the Aquatimer is looking at it as a means of being able to 'share' in the monopoly (high priced) market...but that won't last for terribly long...

I've always thought of IWCs as "gray w/ gray highlights" watches in general, but the standard steel aquatimer chrono is literally gray w/ gray highlights so I'd definitely go with the blue and orange.

I am just wondering if the answer to this question should be different if the IWC CD was a genuine. Would I wear it then for the new year's eve of 2010? 2020 maybe? I would find it even more exciting to introduce my grandsons someday to a well preserved IWC CD. The fact that it is a diver's watch makes it hard to fit it in such events, but in my view the IWC CV is a collectible item. You own part of a legend, you pay a tribute to a pioneer, albeit with a side order of marketing too. I know that all of this is not valid for some people, as we are talking about a rep here, but it doesn't matter to me.

I love the Slevin too, apparently for different reasons. Simplicity, elegance, durable, sport but still casual, everything the iwc seems to do well. But there is competition in this segent.

Now about the HBB, I tend to agree that it might lose it's shine faster than you expect for its hefty price tag.

Guest avitt
I am just wondering if the answer to this question should be different if the IWC CD was a genuine.

Of course, it's a whole different ball game if you're talking about a genuine CD. Then you would have an actual piece of the Calypso embedded in the back of your watch! That would be worthy of a conversation in any future decade.

I'd get the Slevin Aquatimer if it comes in titanium with optional rubber strap. Non-chrono or chrono version.

Otherwise, the CD appeals to me with the differeing colours. I have lots of watches with black and white already.