When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Grans list of Sea-Gull watch movements

gran

Dear watch nuts :)

Today iI have searched and search the internet for these Asian movements found in our replicas and who makes them. Here is a pictorial but partial answer to that. These are Chinese made.

It appears that the so called "Asian movements" pictured are made by the company Sea-Gull and their collaborators.

It has been clear for a long time that Sea-Gull has had the Asian venus 175 (ST-19 on my list) but now also the other movements that we see used in VC and JLC and other replicas seem to be produced by Sea-Gull as well. The movements appears to the (in my eyes) to be of high quality as far as Chinese movements go. They also produce the retorgrade date and power reserve (reserve de marche) movements seen used in som pretty accurate but Asian VC and JLC replicas.

36370-39234.jpg

You can also see some movements with a bridge (ST-25) like on the modern ROLEX calibers and rotor (ST-18) as seen on the ETA-2892...I guess Klink has been correct all along regarding what the Chinese are able to do. Maybe there is a Sea-Gull movement more or less identical to the ETA-2836 or 2824 as well..I am not sure...we will probably hear and see more about this later.

Hope this has been of some interest :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Regards

Gunnar Gran :)

wow, gran... impressive work.

edit: what the heck is ST-17... dateless automatic chrono movement? interesting...

There seem to be lots of different versions of the ST-17 (1701-X) series calibre maybe Sea-Gull has 15-20 different layouts using this basic movement :)

Great Post Gran !

I have always known that Chinese movements of late have been fantastic ... my sons

have tried their best to kill them without success for over two years.

I think we had better snatch up as many of the models we want now.

Once the perception of CN movements are raised, the prices will follow.

@RT

Maybe the price will drop instead considering the volumes these guys produce :)

Some more movements we recognize from our replicas:

36449-39223.jpg

Gran :p

Well, this explains the "2892" in my VC Overseas. I found it strange it had no ETA markings the whole time. But these movements are damn nice, especially the 2892 copy, it has been keeping close to perfect time over a few weeks, and it has been very reliable so far.

An excellent piece of detective work Gran, very interesting to see just how many movements these guy actually make. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Ken

Thanks Ken! :) Just imagine how much more I could have found if I only could read Chinese symbols... :cc_chinese:

Another Chinese producer have adopted the SEIKO look:

36498-39211.jpg

nice find gran!

these mvt's are becoming better and better from day to day...

hope they become even cheaper..this chinese guys are killing me in my aluminium business...but i love them the other way cause they do the same s*** in the watch biz with reps!

Thanks guys :thumbsupsmileyanim: Glad that I am back in the game :)

Well, this explains the "2892" in my VC Overseas. I found it strange it had no ETA markings the whole time. But these movements are damn nice, especially the 2892 copy, it has been keeping close to perfect time over a few weeks, and it has been very reliable so far.

I think it would be very interesting to know if the production facilities that supply the SEA-GULL movements also make parts that are being used for the producing of SWISS ETAs

If there is no ETA stamp is it really a 2892?or is it actually a SEA-GULL movement with the same rotor as on a 2892? Who knows? I guess The Zigmeister could make the call :)

@RT

Maybe the price will drop instead considering the volumes these guys produce :)

Some more movements we recognize from our replicas:

36796-39138.jpg

Gran :p

Wow, how about some rep factories increase the size of the date before they put that double barrel movement in an accurate lange or journe?

Also, re the the 2892: i remember The Zigmeister posting an easy way to tell whether the 2892 in your watch is chinese or swiss.

Do these guys make the Asia 7750? I bet they don't....

Also, re the the 2892: i remember The Zigmeister posting an easy way to tell whether the 2892 in your watch is chinese or swiss.

This is what The Zigmeister (Rob) said:

"If I remember the pictures of these copy 2892's, the dead giveaway was two items, one the ETA 2892 is left sprung, which means the hairspring direction from the stud is towards the left, the picture I saw showed a hairsping right studded... and the other giveaway was that the stud and regulator were not ETA. ETA uses removable studs and regulators, whereas the Asian ones are riveted...

Haven't seen one first hand, so I can't comment on quality or workmanship.

RG"

Regards

Gunnar :)

Stunning investigation, Gran!

Keep up with the good work!

QUOTE(thomasng @ May 2 2006, 08:54 PM)

QUOTE(gunnar gran)

If there is no ETA stamp is it really a 2892?or is it actually a SEA-GULL movement with the same rotor as on a 2892? Who knows? I guess The Zigmeister could make the call

Now, having an affinity for the 2892 movements, I am curious to know if anyone has looked inside the recent 029 and 063 acquisitions to see if the 2892 movement is eta or not? I would be very curious. I may have to take my 2892 EXP II and 063 and have a watchsmith take a look.

Climb on.