When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

SS Subs everywhere!

shimside11

I just got back from ten days in Oahu, specificaly Waikiki. Everyone from young Japanese kids to middle-age American men had one. Our boat captain had one, and that's really the only one I confirmed was real. I must have seen at least thirty that I took the time to notice, including a young couple in their early twenties, with matching SS Subs.

I was considering a gen SS Sub as a reward for my next promotion, but I am seriously reconsidering. With all the reps out there, it's becoming such a common look. I know that the sub is a classic and the reps shouldn't influence me, but I'm tempted to just stay with a close replica and go with something a bit more exclusive as a gen.

On the other hand (sorry..bad pun), I saw only one Panerai. It was on a guy at the luau. It was a new 1950 that he had recently purchased. The thing stood out from everyone else and looked absolutely fantastic.

I know that there is alot of sentiment out there that the Sub is too common, but there is also a school of thought that any serious collector should have one.

What do you think?

Good point made there Shim. Here in Vegas I see subs all over the place every day. They are becoming quite common, and that may be why people are looking for alternatives. I see maybe one Panerai every couple days or so, but they are more disctinctive for sure.

The mere fact that you can't help questioning the authenticity of every one you see is why I got rid of my Sub reps. However, if you are considering buying a genuine, that is a different story. If you like the classic looks of the Sub, buy it IMO :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I'm thinking of getting a blue two-tone sub from Josh. It really is a beautiful watch and while I have seen one in public, my current place of residence is not nearly as exotic and exclusive as yours. Have you considered Joshua's Vacheron Constantin Overseas in white or black face? It is quite expensive, and not very recognizable except among enthusiasts, but it may just be the unique look you're going for. The retail price is also quite high, but not ridiculous in such a way it will seem disproportionate to your income & lifestyle. Another good thing about the watch is that the case is a 1:1 reproduction, and because it is so rare, it won't nearly be scrutinized as closely as a sub. The ultra reliable upgraded movement is icing on the cake, too.

I would get one myself but... over here nobody knows what a Vacheron Constantin is! I might as well wear a Timex in this case... but it could be a worthwhile thing to look into.

Good luck!

I'm thinking of getting a blue two-tone sub from Josh. It really is a beautiful watch and while I have seen one in public, my current place of residence is not nearly as exotic and exclusive as yours. Have you considered Joshua's Vacheron Constantin Overseas in white or black face? It is quite expensive, and not very recognizable except among enthusiasts, but it may just be the unique look you're going for. The retail price is also quite high, but not ridiculous in such a way it will seem disproportionate to your income & lifestyle. Another good thing about the watch is that the case is a 1:1 reproduction, and because it is so rare, it won't nearly be scrutinized as closely as a sub. The ultra reliable upgraded movement is icing on the cake, too.

I would get one myself but... over here nobody knows what a Vacheron Constantin is! I might as well wear a Timex in this case... but it could be a worthwhile thing to look into.

Good luck!

It's interesting that you mention the Overseas. That is one of my favourite watches. I tried on a gen at Torneau in Las Vegas last year and fell in love with it. At 10,600usd the gen is about 5k out of my justifiable price range. I've looked into the rep (Josh's improved version) but I seem to remember reading some negative feedback on the clasp. I've had some bad luck with a replica dual deployant myself, so I've been a bit hesitant. Overall though, the Overseas is a beautiful piece and is still on my list.

I just got back from ten days in Oahu, specificaly Waikiki. Everyone from young Japanese kids to middle-age American men had one. Our boat captain had one, and that's really the only one I confirmed was real. I must have seen at least thirty that I took the time to notice, including a young couple in their early twenties, with matching SS Subs.

I was considering a gen SS Sub as a reward for my next promotion, but I am seriously reconsidering. With all the reps out there, it's becoming such a common look. I know that the sub is a classic and the reps shouldn't influence me, but I'm tempted to just stay with a close replica and go with something a bit more exclusive as a gen.

On the other hand (sorry..bad pun), I saw only one Panerai. It was on a guy at the luau. It was a new 1950 that he had recently purchased. The thing stood out from everyone else and looked absolutely fantastic.

I know that there is alot of sentiment out there that the Sub is too common, but there is also a school of thought that any serious collector should have one.

What do you think?

I'd agree with both points there. The Submariner is certainly a nice watch, and I can appreciacte the thought that every collector should have one. That said, there are nicer watches available which stand out more... Personally, I find the Submariner too small now I've gotten used to my Planet Ocean Big Size and just don't wear mine anymore...

If you want 'a nice watch', (ie something expensive) then go with a VC Overseas. If you want a Submariner-style watch, then any of the Omega Seamaster watches are equally good (if not better, in my opinion) particularly the 2531.80, the 2220.80 or the 2254.50. If you really like the look of the Rolex, but want something a little different, how about aquiring (or even building) a Tudor Submariner?

It's interesting that you mention the Overseas. That is one of my favourite watches. I tried on a gen at Torneau in Las Vegas last year and fell in love with it. At 10,600usd the gen is about 5k out of my justifiable price range. I've looked into the rep (Josh's improved version) but I seem to remember reading some negative feedback on the clasp. I've had some bad luck with a replica dual deployant myself, so I've been a bit hesitant. Overall though, the Overseas is a beautiful piece and is still on my list.

If you want info on the latest VC Overseas models, check out the various threads in the Other Brands Section. The one on Silix'x New VCO by Richard Tracy is extensive and full of good info. I have the new latest upgraded model from Silix and I love it.

When I moved to Florida, I wore Rolexes and Cartiers almost exclusively.

In England, though by no means rare, they were unusual because they were expensive enough to make them unthinkable for the middle-classes (all those lovely taxes, dontchaknow). If you had one, and were an average person like most of us here, you had somehow saved lots and lots so you could buy them, or you had inherited them. The latter being my case.

(I find that middle-class Americans are much better able to finance their goodies, than we are, perhaps as a cultural quirk such as credit card overusage, not caring if someone puts them in their place socially, etc. Or maybe they have less VAT luxury taxes...)

Suddenly, I found myself in South Beach surrounded by Rolexes, especially SS Subs. EVERYONE had them. My condominium janitor, fresh off the boat from Haiti not two years back, wears one. As an aside, his cleaning lady wife also has a LV bag, also fake obviously.

It's almost like a rite of passage in America. Everyone wears one, and consequently, they rarely get wrist time on me now.

Part of that has to do with my own personal issues, which I'm honest enough to mention publicly. But part of it also has to do with not wanting to wear something which cost my parents blood sweat and tears to give me; looks beautiful; but is so ubiquitous and repped, that no one believes it's real.

Like fitmic, when Jay answers my email for the vintage 007 Rolex, it'll be my first Rolex purchase. ;)

Ten years ago, we bought my Father a nice TT- Datejust Rolex for his 50th bday. He wanted it because all the guys at work had them <_< . He was already wearing a nice Omega. Anyway this year, was his 60th and decided to get him a new watch. The store sold lots of nice highend watches....what does he pick out...A Submariner...why?, Because all the guys at work have them :bicycle: DOH! Oh well, atleast he was happy, or could of wanted a blinged out one and broke my bank :victory:

Hey Shim,

Well, we all have our own opinions about Rolex in general and subs in particular.

If I understand you well, you have a 5k budget and like subs.

So, like Shawn says, get yourself a lug holed "modern" SD or even better to my taste, get a GreatWhite 1665 or a 5513.

It's not easy to find a GW at 5k, but it can happen.

A 5513 is easier though.

Shawn, yours looks really great by the way.

But I disagree: not everybody is buying a Sub to impress people.

The alternative is buy 5 Rolex modded by one of our members :D

Cheers

Stephane

Sub = most common watch on this planet.

If you love top ten pop music, guzzle Coca Cola everyday, seen Live Free Or Die Hard three times, call a Big Mac a real burger, consider Budweiser the King of beers, well, then the Sub is for you :D

Don't get me wrong, I love my 5513. It is one of the greatest tool watches ever made. And I know that the Sub is thee most innovative watch ever designed (spawned 1000s of copies). But it is as common as bad manners in this country and most any other country on earth.

COmming from South Florida as well, I can tell you everyone has an SS Sub. And it was going to be my first rep purchase as well. Not becasue of popularity but the watch is fantastic itself. So simple so clean. So instead i got a YM as a gift, and till this day I wear it and love it.

But when i head onto South beach, nothing beats my 111h. becasue people in south florida don't know much about watches or like V said that everyone has a Sub down here.