When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

No Luck with Rep-Watches

slay

The First Rep I ever bought was a Rolex Datejust. Was a 10$ Canal St. Rep - Junk mainly ;)

BUT (!!) it ran for 3 years without battery change. When the batterie dried, I threw it away. Maybe its still somewhere in my house, I dont know!

And then the horror trip began:

• I bought a Lange&Söhne Datograph Flyback with false tourbillon. The watch cost me 200Euros and was from o-fakes.com - after 3 days or so, I was unable to remove the crown and set time. Dont know why, but something inside was jammed! It took me 3 Months to get a new watch from o-fakes.com(had to write MILLIONS of emails... at some point I lost my hopes, but THEN:

• I got a SS Daytona from them. Was a cheap Daydate daytona, but at least the subdials were correctly labled. In the meantime, I found RWG (because I thought I had been scammed and looked where to let of steam). The Watch worked pretty well for about a month or so. Then it gained about 1-10Minutes a day, depending on whether I wore the watch or not. After a Clubnight, it usualy gained 20minutes or more. Junk mainly. I got a new movement from Clive... Fixed the whole thing, spent about 10hours on repairing everything and fixing some of the subdials and so on... Gave it away to a friend and 2 weeks ago he told me the rotor inside fell of or something....!

• I then bought a PAM 111 from Yellomen. It was&is a pretty good watch, solid built. BUT I had to put about 125$ in it. Why? Well 75 was for relume, and 50 was for repair, because a screw inside broke and jammed the movement. The Zigmeister repaired it and its running fine till today.

• My next rep was a Jaeger LeCoultre Reserve de Marche. Very nice&classy watch, BUT it's in pieces now and i cant get it back together. One day I wanted to remove dust from the inside, I removed the stem and something in the movement got jammed. I repaired that, but while doing that, i scratched the Minute Hand and now I cant get the movement back together properly (I now have 2 pieces that need to be put together, but I cant do it, evertime I try, a stem doesnt line up with a jewel and so on)

• The next rep was a PAM 163 from Gladders. Great watch! What happened to that one? Well first, I lost one of the screws. I replaced it with a screw from my old sunglases. But a while later I lost one of the Wirelugs while taking the bus to work and its LOST4EVER and I cant get a replacement ANYWHERE. Also one of the chrono buttons doesnt come out all the way when you push it in order to start/stop the chrono.

• Then I got a PAM 183.. great Watch, running great, BUT I can see the tubes striping already... I give the watch another 2-3months max till I need a new tube.

• Got a fiddy from silix. If you want to know what happened, please look here: <a href="http://www.replica-watches-guide.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=34478&hl=fiddy" target="_blank">http://www.replica-watches-guide.com/forum...=34478&hl=fiddy</a> i got replacement though and its running fine till now BUT it needed work also. The movement inside was rattling and I had to open it and fix that myself.

• Bought a Sub from PT... VERY nice watch, but yesterday I aparently lost one of the clasp pins (ARGH!!!!)

• Paid 400$ for a DW. You can already see where this is going, can you? The watch stopps everytime it goes past 8-9o'clock, and one of the subdial hands is not properly alligned. Also while trying to remove the bezel, the crystal got a HUGE crack in the middle and on the edges.

Conclusion... no matter how much I paid for a rep watch, I had issues with EVERY single watch (besides the 10$ canal st. rep). Some I have not listed, because I sold them already and didnt have them long enough to evaluate their quality. Please keep in mind, that I really take care of my watches, and handle them very carefully!

I didnt really think about this till yesterday when I lost the clasp pin of my Submariner... Almost every rep I bought had issues at one point. I think I wont be buying anymore replica watches... at least not so many. Maybe the 187 will be my last watch? In the DW I will probably have to put more money in, than a genuine Datejust or SMP would cost me.

In addition, the 2 LV wallets I ordered from a dealer here were BOTH faulty and Junk. I got my money back, so its not a loss for me, but I was very disapointed in the low quality for the price I paid. JCPenny has better quality for a fraction of the price I paid!

Edited by slay

i thought about that.. the problem is, i cant decide which one. i rather wear a different watch everyday then the same watch over and over again!

and also, you can have the same troubles with genuines. after 2 years of warranty, it will cost you much $$$ to get it repaired!

Edited by slay

:wounded1::wounded1::wounded1: poor you. Life is unfair.

You better get yourself some uncomplicated genuine ones slay buy yourself a LONGINEs or a TISSOT

I am still missing some screws...one for my FM LI and one fro my VC perpetual....

g. :animal_rooster:

Man, that is some bad luck. Sorry to hear!

Now that I think about it, a fair number of the reps I've purchased have had some QC issues of some sort. Most are not major, and easily fixed, but I've learned to check the watches over when I get them. Most of the time, the defective or problematic part(s) get replaced when I mod the watch anyways :)

But, you are correct- Even genuines are not immune to the problems and issue that we sometimes encounter with reps. And the cost to fix or service those can be much more expensive, depending on who you go with!

I agree, there is always some problem with reps, I even had problems with my two most expensive reps, each over 600 USD. Even my first new gen 111 ran two mins fast per day, so I don't think buying gen is necessarly the answer. I deal with it by learning how to accept the flaws (some of which I've done myself due to my average watch skills). Over the weekend, the crown on my vintage 3436 broke such that if you want to wind it, you have to exert pressure pulling it out as you wind. A year ago this would have made me crazy, now it doesn't bother me nearly as much. The world is imperfect and almost all watches reflect this in some way even if we really don't want them to. To quote Bender, “Screws fall out all the time, the worlds' an imperfect place”

Man, that is some bad luck. Sorry to hear!

Now that I think about it, a fair number of the reps I've purchased have had some QC issues of some sort. Most are not major, and easily fixed, but I've learned to check the watches over when I get them. Most of the time, the defective or problematic part(s) get replaced when I mod the watch anyways :)

But, you are correct- Even genuines are not immune to the problems and issue that we sometimes encounter with reps. And the cost to fix or service those can be much more expensive, depending on who you go with!

Yes... most of my issues arnt mayor issues either. Most of the watches are running at least. The Radiomir would be a QUICK fix, but i cant source that damn wirelug anywhere and with one missing wirelug, the watch is simply worthless to me, because I cant wear it! On the other hand I dont see why I should buy a new watch just because of one freakin wirelug. Making things worse, I doubt Panerai sells the parts alone. I'd even spend 20$ on a genuine wirelug.

My biggest fear is still the DW... it's like a bomb you paid 400$ for and never know when its going to go off! I think I will take it to a local watchmaker here, if he screws it up even worse, I can always say "Well, it was running before I gave it to you, so YOU figure out where to get me a new movement!" - I wouldn't say that to Joe or The Zigmeister of course!

I agree, there is always some problem with reps, I even had problems with my two most expensive reps, each over 600 USD. Even my first new gen 111 ran two mins fast per day, so I don't think buying gen is necessarly the answer. I deal with it by learning how to accept the flaws (some of which I've done myself due to my average watch skills). Over the weekend, the crown on my vintage 3436 broke such that if you want to wind it, you have to exert pressure pulling it out as you wind. A year ago this would have made me crazy, now it doesn't bother me nearly as much. The world is imperfect and almost all watches reflect this in some way even if we really don't want them to. To quote Bender, “Screws fall out all the time, the worlds' an imperfect place”

Good think I already sold all the 7 or 8 Vintage PAM's I had with good profit :D :D :D

Sorry to hear about your bad luck slay.

I have been collecting for a little over a year now. I have been thinking about writing a piece about the progression of my collection, but what I can say is that from very beginning, I have been very fortunate.

Here's to better luck to you.

Climb on.

Guest TTK
Please keep in mind, that I really take care of my watches, and handle them very carefully!

Yeah right...... :lol: ...just bad luck I suppose.......the tinkerers nemesis.....!

PS...might be able to help you with wire lug....no promises tho'.....!

Edited by TTK

Yeah right......:lol

163 happened while riding the bus, wirelug got lose and fell all of a sudden - not my fault

111 happened while palying ball - maybe my fault, but I was told, that the bad screw was a common problem

lange happened from one day to the other. i was more careful with that watch than i'd be with Nitroglycerine - not my fault IMO

daytona happened over time - maybe my fault? IMO just a junk movement!

DW came that way - not my fault at all

183 striped tubes - common problem - not my fault at all. have always been VERY careful while unscrewing the crown

JLC something got jammed when I removed the stem, clearly partly my fault, but I fixed it. Problem: cant get it back together :lol:

Fiddy came that way, not my fault at all

PS...might be able to help you with wire lug....no promises tho'.....!

I'd be delighted if you could. Have had no luck so far, not even with the ones who were selling genuine PAM parts!

Edited by slay

Sorry to hear about your problems, Slay. Good luck in getting them resolved.

I suspect that quality control issues will always be with us because we want the "best" looking reps, often with complications, and at the lowest possible price. Our dealers and forums do a good job of improving the quality of our purhcases -- but that is not a guarantee.

Many people don't fully appreciate that buying a watch is like buying a car or house -- the initial cost is rarely the final cost. If you have five watches, you need to accept the possibility or likelihood that you will incur five times the maintenance costs. If you have 10 watches, that can be 10 times the maintenance cost. In some cases that will happen in the first year, in other cases it may happen two or three years down the line.

Of course many people can do some parts of maintenance themselves. I admire those who the skills and aptitude to do these things for themselves. But sometimes we try to do more than they we are able. Unfortunately it doesn't take long before I reach the limits of my skills. So I would head to a watchmaker sooner rather than later -- as I would to an auto mechanic or electrician. It gets expensive.

Sorry to hear about this.

Some of our problems are caused by human error, be that from the manufacturer,

rough shippers, handlers.. or ourselves.. :bangin: and have no bearing on the watch itself..

I have had strings of bad luck, however on the most part my experience with reps has

been a very positive one... close to 70 watches to date, coming in and going out..keeping

my collection fresh.... I am loving this game.. ^_^

A sliver cloud is just around the horizon for you.... keep going !

OUch! i HAVE 4 reps from RWG dealers, all of them subs, and so far so good (jinx). I've developed a tolerance for certain imperfections and inaccuracies, but this is after collecting the 4 in a pursuit of better reps and then accepting that I have found the best I am going to find. After reading your post, we'll see what time has in store for my 4.

My 2 uncannily accurate and excellent $40 street cartier reps worked great for several months until I dropped them (cheap crystal in both, plus hand fell off in one of them), and I had 2 $8.00 movado reps that looked good and ran for years.

It's luck of the draw +expectations, I guess.

I agree I have gotten two reps and both have noticable issues....

for 300-400 watches they should not have crooked dials(miliare marine from josh) and a big black spot on the lume on "12" (210 from josh)

They are for sure my last reps.. The chinese are not known for their quality control or attention to detail.

OUch! i HAVE 4 reps from RWG dealers, all of them subs, and so far so good (jinx). I've developed a tolerance for certain imperfections and inaccuracies, but this is after collecting the 4 in a pursuit of better reps and then accepting that I have found the best I am going to find. After reading your post, we'll see what time has in store for my 4.

My 2 uncannily accurate and excellent $40 street cartier reps worked great for several months until I dropped them (cheap crystal in both, plus hand fell off in one of them), and I had 2 $8.00 movado reps that looked good and ran for years.

It's luck of the draw +expectations, I guess.

Edited by chad

I agree I have gotten two reps and both have noticable issues....

for 300-400 watches they should not have crooked dials(miliare marine from josh) and a big black spot on the lume on "12" (210 from josh)

They are for sure my last reps.. The chinese are not known for their quality control or attention to detail.

My first three watches from the forums had QC problems,.. if I were to have used those as my gage

of the whole industry, It would be like getting out of the airport in Hong Kong, bumping into a man who

didn't excuse himself, having a misunderstanding with a taxi driver, then in frustration,.

immediately returning into the airport to go home,...Telling my friends..."That Hong Kong is

a Rude place.. Besides, the Chinese are not known for their hostitality." :brow:

Fact is, I have a wonderful collection of beautiful timepieces... all from China.. as are most Swiss watches

made in China.

On the other hand I dont see why I should buy a new watch just because of one freakin wirelug. Making things worse, I doubt Panerai sells the parts alone. I'd even spend 20$ on a genuine wirelug.

I suspect that Panerai would sell you just that wire lug. Even people with the gens loose those pieces. Call up an AD and find out how much they are. I suspect you'll pay a bit more than $20 for that piece...

I've actually been rather lucky with these watches. I do need to check over a watch when it arrives and make sure everything is tight, but I do that with every watch I receive in the mail. I also like to put loctite on the various screws and pins - any screw can work it's way loose, rep or gen. I've found that the high end replicas are similar quality to other watches I could buy, and with a bit of care they've all served me well.

Speaking of checking over a watch upon receipt...

I got the screwdriver out, and gave a once over to my davidsen 009...

41219-38093.jpg

The screws on the CG bridge were a bit loose. Not a huge deal, but just goes to show that it pays to always double check.

BTW, have mentioned how much I love this watch?