When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

OEM FM Conquistador

cpaman

When I first started getting into reps I could never understand why some people were anti gen. I am starting to see this side more and more. 4000 (usd) for a basic panerai, 10,000 for a fiddy, 11,000 for a IWC bip pilot??? Unless the watch is skeletonized by hand, I can't see paying over 1,000 for any SS watch. I was just looking at an old issue of watchtime, Muller is supposed to be worth around 300 million (I might be wrong, this is just from memory). He made enough money, I'll take the rep.

When I first started getting into reps I could never understand why some people were anti gen. I am starting to see this side more and more. 4000 (usd) for a basic panerai, 10,000 for a fiddy, 11,000 for a IWC bip pilot??? Unless the watch is skeletonized by hand, I can't see paying over 1,000 for any SS watch. I was just looking at an old issue of watchtime, Muller is supposed to be worth around 300 million (I might be wrong, this is just from memory). He made enough money, I'll take the rep.

PAMs, I can take your point, but the IWC big pilot is a different animal. The Panerai reps have the same movements (pretty much) as the gens, but the IWC BP has a 7 day power reserve pentallon movement. Not sure its worth 11K, but I'll take that all day long over a Panerai. Much better bang for the buck.

It's hard to understand why people pay 10K for a basic unitas movement watch... especially in SS. All in the marketing, I guess. :wacko:

PAMs, I can take your point, but the IWC big pilot is a different animal. The Panerai reps have the same movements (pretty much) as the gens, but the IWC BP has a 7 day power reserve pentallon movement. Not sure its worth 11K, but I'll take that all day long over a Panerai. Much better bang for the buck.

I see your point on the IWC movement, but if the evolution of reps grows at its current rate, in less than a year we will see a similar high qualitiy asian movement and about any other interesting complication out there. And all well under 1K. The only bad thing about this goes back to the first statement..."I have I hard time justifying the extra $10,600.00 for this compared to the Rep from Joshua" It is just a matter of time before some critical mass also comes to this same conclusion. At that point, the billion dollar companies will start spending some real money stopping reps.

Guys are forgetting this one is in White Gold....... Hence the price.

The SS one is far cheaper, and I can get it for maybe US$4000 brand new.

6,000 extra for white gold? I'm not up on gold prices but that seems excessive.

I actually just checked and it is 700 an ounce, so perhaps that isn't too bad.

6,000 extra for white gold? I'm not up on gold prices but that seems excessive.

Marking up gold 600% is one of the most aggregious tricks of genuine makers--especially considering that making a gold watch costs less in labor and technology than makng one in SS, according to Chronos Magazine.

Marking up gold 600% is one of the most aggregious tricks of genuine makers--especially considering that making a gold watch costs less in labor and technology than makng one in SS, according to Chronos Magazine.

Yeah, I also saw that article. Gold is actually much easier to work with over SS because of its malleability.

It's absolutely insane, for brands like AP, the difference between a Rose Gold Rubberclad and an SS one is almost $25000 list, and there's not all that much gold on it to begin with (liberal estimate of 4 ounces of 18K). And now, there's this chutzpah about raising prices because of increased costs, yeah as if charging a 1000% markup wasn't enough. <_<

I guess the extra money on top of the rep is for better finishing, water-resistance, boxes, booklets, warranty, high service fees, long wait times during service, no pins dropping out of bracelets, resale value, and of course the number 1 reason,

"I'm rich and can afford to buy this genuine Franck Muller, look at me, did I tell you I was rich? You're poor na-na-na-na-na :bleh: "

"I'm rich and can afford to buy this genuine Franck Muller, look at me, did I tell you I was rich? You're poor na-na-na-na-na :bleh: "

Spot on. The mere fact that it is expensive is what makes it alluring to many people. The same people simply wouldn't buy it if it wasn't expensive.

If my watchmaker is correct, the only thing that might keep this rep from being waterproof is the fact that the crystal is glued in. (So is the genuine but they have quality control) But the screw down crown, on mine, has a nice o-ring inside.

But according to him, the decorated 2892-A2 in the reps looks just like the genuine. However it is the finishing around the inside of the case that is a tip off. But if one would spend time with the case apart and some 1000 grit wet-dry sandpaper, this could be remedied as well.

Edited by speedy1

If my watchmaker is correct, the only thing that might keep this rep from being waterproof is the fact that the crystal is glued in. (So is the genuine but they have quality control) But the screw down crown, on mine, has a nice o-ring inside.

But according to him, the decorated 2892-A2 in the reps looks just like the genuine. However it is the finishing around the inside of the case that is a tip off. But if one would spend time with the case apart and some 1000 grit wet-dry sandpaper, this could be remedied as well.

I just purchased a watch for my wife and the area that's the worst regarding waterproofness (if that's a word) is the case back.... My simple, yet effective method of testing for waterproofness out of the box is to stick part of the watch in my mouth and suck... (No visuals guys) On the FM, It's like sucking through a straw....

I just purchased a watch for my wife and the area that's the worst regarding waterproofness (if that's a word) is the case back.... My simple, yet effective method of testing for waterproofness out of the box is to stick part of the watch in my mouth and suck... (No visuals guys) On the FM, It's like sucking through a straw....

Does it have an oring inside the caseback? If so, would a larger (in diameter) one help you think? Just curious.....

Also, how does the womens compare wit the mens? My wife wants one of the womens now that she has seen mine.

Does it have an oring inside the caseback? If so, would a larger (in diameter) one help you think? Just curious.....

Also, how does the womens compare wit the mens? My wife wants one of the womens now that she has seen mine.

It's kind of hard to explain, but the case back doesn't seem to be machined, curved, bent or whatever you want to call it, at the same angle as the case leaving a tiny gap around the area where the case back meets the case.

Attached a pic to show where the watch seems to be least water resistant... (In my case, completely non water resistant)

[EDITED]

Using Josh's pic since it's a good shot of the back....

How is the bracelet? I've heard there have been problems with the bracelet with screws falling out.

For some strange reason, this reminded me of the gen panerai forums.......Not sure why????

Probably because they buy a watch with an almost generic movement at a hugely inflated price, and this is the justification?

How is the bracelet? I've heard there have been problems with the bracelet with screws falling out.

Well, that's another issue :lol:

The watch died a couple of days after my wife put it on...

I need to send it off to ziggy for service, but havn't got around to it yet. So..... Can't really say if the screws are good or not cause she's not really wore it enough to tell, but it does feel nice. Overall she really loves the watch, I just have to get it running again and hopefully a little water resistance...

Well, that's another issue :lol:

The watch died a couple of days after my wife put it on...

I need to send it off to The Zigmeister for service, but havn't got around to it yet. So..... Can't really say if the screws are good or not cause she's not really wore it enough to tell, but it does feel nice. Overall she really loves the watch, I just have to get it running again and hopefully a little water resistance...

Wow, that sucks. You couldn't remove the screws from my barcelet if you wanted to they all seem to be loctited (if that is a word) in.

My movement was dirty enough to stop now and then. so I can agree on that issue whole heartedly. But it is a solid mevment in the mens none the less.

With that many problems, have you thought of asking for a replacement?