When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I hate them all!!

Rolexman

I'm at a point that I hate all the watches with a bezel insert!

They scratch so easily that it's pissing me off!! Wear them once when going out to a bar and you'll know what I mean......

I have nothing against scratches but once a year or so I give all my watches a good polish. Scratches on SS or titanium can easily be removed but the ugly scratches on the insert can't and that bugs the crap out of me! Especially the scratches on my new black PO... you can't miss them.

Why aren't these inserts covered with a layer of sapphire or such??

Just wanted to share :group:

Edited by Rolexman

Keep a supply of spare inserts...

Ditto this.

One mine, after grinding the underside of the insert so it fits below the bezel lip, it never scratches.

Or I could just be a lucky SOB.

Also I buy the "higher quality" inserts from a local jewelry/ watch store that specializes in servicing rolex. I don't know if they are really better but they look great and I haven't sctached my sub's insert yet, and I wear as my work watch everyday. Also the GMT insert I bought from them had the blue/red border in the correct places and the blue looks spot on to me.

Edited by speedy1

rolexman ... i hear ya! Everytime I get a watch with a bezel insert, I have bad luck. Although, my PO did withstand a scratch and my silix sub also, but my 5513 took a beating this week (thanks to all who are helping me out).

When I get my next insert, I am going to try and grind it. Good tip, Speedy1!

I don't think grinding the insert will help... The insert can still be damaged. It's just a matter of hitting something with it in the right (or wrong) angle!

@Ubiquitous: Do you think genuine inserts will scratch less easilly?

PAMs are a good solution, but everyone should have at least one Rollie in their collection. I went for the EXP II (Good choice Estaban--I picked up an eta 2893 from River. I don't know if he has anymore. There is a more accurate version with proper handstack, etc, but it's based on the 2836 modified movement. I prefer the 2893.) I've thought about getting a sub recently--where would one pick up a gen insert and how much modding does it need to fit?

Thanks.

Climb on.