When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Info about the upgrade

Admin

Well, I'm listening to all your suggestions and will of course take all of them into consideration;

FYI: The current RWG skin (work name MeanGreen ;)) is the only skin that will be updated with all features.

And no, the looney bin posts will NOT show up in the new posts search!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it's not bad but I think the avatar resizing is a BAD move. The avatars can now be huge and will take silly amounts of time to load, even on a decent connection. 250x250 is immense for an avatar. I feel that signatures have always been too large here and now so are avatars.

So. I'm off to the control panel to see if I can turn them off.

I hear what you are saying and I do agree. I will take a look at this tomorrow and decide what is the best size to use ;)

I like it. Good job....and thanks!

Just in case people wonder, no I didn't lose a year off my age after our change. I didn't downgrade during the upgrade. ;)

I usually register on sites not using my real birthday, even if I stupidly did here using my real birth YEAR (ugh, I hate this, and no matter what I do, it won't go to "N/A").

So, I went from 31 to 32 because my birthday is coming up on August 7. *g*

I like it.

It's cool and calm and easy to look at. I spend hours here.

I'm also glad to see the whiny little brat baby logo gone.

Sure, I support what you do and would like to make a monetary contribution to the forum, but there are a small handful of these forums and I can't contribute to them all.

Some guys here have money to burn.... Trips to exotic vacation spots, famous names to meet, and several of the very best and rarest of watches.

More power to them.

But some of us live week to week, hoping we'll have jobs the next.

I do NOT appreciate being harangued by them to contribute.

That being said, some of us can contribute by writing in a respectful and interesting way and encouraging the articles of our fellow collectors.

Everything about the upgrade is good, but I am strongly against this new promotion of sex and sex imagery. The internet is full of sex; I get it in e-mails, popups, banner ads, you name it. RWG is where I go to talk with good friends about good watches, not to unleash my deepest desires of romance and bikini contests. Granted, I know there are members who will want a section like this, but I personally do not see a need.

Oh well.

Congratulations on a successful update and "environmentally conscious" green design!

Ahhh well,

You can please some of the people, some of the time, but you can't please all of the people, all of the time!

This is STRICTLY only for the Looney Bin.

Any displays (whatsoever) outside those hallowed walls, will be dealt with.... and we do mean DEALT!

So, if you find it offensive, JUST DON'T GO THERE.

Oh, and by the way, Looney bin posts, will NOT come up if you select "View New Posts", so you must make a concious effort to go there.

Offshore

Everything about the upgrade is good, but I am strongly against this new promotion of sex and sex imagery. The internet is full of sex; I get it in e-mails, popups, banner ads, you name it. RWG is where I go to talk with good friends about good watches, not to unleash my deepest desires of romance and bikini contests. Granted, I know there are members who will want a section like this, but I personally do not see a need.

Oh well.

Nice c*ck-shot, just the same.

Oh well.

Congratulations on a successful update and "environmentally conscious" green design!

Ooh, lots of contradictions covered here, Corgi. A prudish environmentalist who likes change but hates being harangued with advertisement. Dr. Freud would've had a field day with you! ;)

For the record, green is not my favourite colour. I much prefer blue. Or purple, the colour of royalty and hangovers.

What happened to the Photography section that dealt with cameras, non-watch pics & how-to's?

Thanks for all the effort and hard work :D

Photography and Photo gallery has been combined into on forum. You'll find all the posts there

One thing missing is how many new posts there are next to the view new posts link - liked that function.

It will be back. Like I said before; I did not have time to finsih all the upgrades and updates, so most of the old functions will re-appear over the coming days ;)

I'm wondering if it's possible to move each post header back to be on the left of the post rather than above it (like the 'work safe' skin).

The reason is that when scrolling through a thread, it's much easier to read the thread if each post isn't preceded by the header, before it was posible to read each comment without having to mentally skip the header each time. Having the header on the top rather than at the side also makes the the physical space on the screen of each post huge - I run at 1280x1024 and I'm finding now that I barely get two posts on a single screen.

Forums just look neater with the posters name, avatar etc to the left of the text.

Thanks for reading :)

I think the new look has a lot going for it, so well done on putting in the time and effort.

A couple of thing that I'm not so sure about:

1. The poster's info in each post is now presented horizontally, and I think this really adds unecessary bulk to every thread. I preferred the previous layout where the info was vertically presented.

2. At the top of the page it says my inbox is showing 1 unread message. But when I go in there, all my messages are marked as read!

Is it not possible to have the old and the new skins here so people can choose which one they want?

/edit - Erm? I just replied to an admin post but it's gone!

It is possible with multiple skins, but only one skin will be maintained with all the news and updates.

I'm wondering if it's possible to move each post header back to be on the left of the post rather than above it (like the 'work safe' skin).

Why?

This setup is 100x better and it makes using larger images possible. I just wonder why it took so long to adopt this new (much better) TRC-type layout. In a forum like this watch images should always be the priority over avatars.

Why?

This setup is 100x better and it makes using larger images possible. I just wonder why it took so long to adopt this new (much better) TRC-type layout. In a forum like this watch images should always be the priority over avatars.

I already explained why in the post you quoted.

Having user details at the side doesn't make any difference with the size of images that can be posted. If an image is resized then a user only has to click on it to get it full size anyway and as thumbnails are often posted, it's irrelevant.

And as I said, single posts take up a whole screen now - Look...

293838-3471.jpg

One short post with a short quote taking up pretty much the whole screen at 1280x1024 resolution, and that's with avatars turned off (I don't care about avatars). Of course, you have a large signature and that's another bugbear of mine on here, there are people with images in their signatures that are stupid sizes, I've seen them at 800 pixels high and that's ridiculous so they get adblocked. We should have size limits on signature images imho.

I think the new look has a lot going for it, so well done on putting in the time and effort.

A couple of thing that I'm not so sure about:

1. The poster's info in each post is now presented horizontally, and I think this really adds unecessary bulk to every thread. I preferred the previous layout where the info was vertically presented.

Of ALL the changes, this is my least favourite upgrade. I also liked the vertical avatar-info.

2. At the top of the page it says my inbox is showing 1 unread message. But when I go in there, all my messages are marked as read!

Same here. I also miss the "View New Posts" with the number next to them.

Early days. If only I could get my old blue skin back, I would feel so happy, but then as I said, I don't do change well in general.

Hi Admin team,

I've been browsing for a while before saying something.

First, thanks for your time and energy.

There are some nice new things.

The skin ?

I guess it is like other things in life. Needs time to get used.

The priority for pictures is cool.

The posts:

The most disturbing thing that makes this new skin less readable is the separator between posts.

It's too tin.

When the previous post contents quotes in example the fact the separator is so tin makes your eye look at the previous post quote as the beginning of the new one.

Hope this isn't clear as mud :animal_rooster:

The colour: I'm sorry but I really prefer blue.

I have a 1440 wide screen.

I see large green strips on both sides of the board which is not nice at all to my opinion.

I would be happy to be able to choose the colour and go back to blue

Cheers

Stephane

Of course, you have a large signature and that's another bugbear of mine on here

Many people find those links helpful. Those articles have way over 100.000 views combined. You're the first one I've heard who thinks it's annoying.

Many people find those links helpful. Those articles have way over 100.000 views combined. You're the first one I've heard who thinks it's annoying.

I wasn't specifically complaining about yours because it is useful (I've bought watches after reading your reviews). If you notice, I then went on to specifically cite large images as my main issue. Don't put words into my mouth please, I never said it was 'annoying'.