When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Aquaracer Day-Date Arrives!

docblackrock

Why do almost all new and good looking watches have that A7750-movement?

I know we all new the score, and it should work great once serviced.

But to me, it doesn't justify the initial price of buying the watch, and then be prepared that this ticking time bomb will self destruct...

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But to me, it doesn't justify the initial price of buying the watch, and then be prepared that this ticking time bomb will self destruct...

The bad reputation comes mainly from the old, low beat models. We've actually seen very few bad reports of the new 28.800bph version.

I have 2 new 7750-watches and they've been 100% reliable for over 12 months now.

ByTor beat me to it.. but basically a little re-thinking needs to happen

perception factors greatly for these new high-beat a7750 and it's undeserved..

the "horror stories" were from the old slower ones.. this one is supposedly right up there with the Swiss ETA's specially after servicing

think about it, you yourself said it fitmic.. why are all the new reps/best reps/etc being fitted with this movement?

if it's so bad.. then why?

answer is that it isn't as bad as the perception..

^^ anyhows buy it with confidence if you really like the TAG 'racer, if it ever breaks down on you.. have it serviced and you'll have a keeper :thumbsupsmileyanim:

why are all the new reps/best reps/etc being fitted with this movement?

if it's so bad.. then why?

answer is that it isn't as bad as the perception..

Euh.. Maybe because we don't have any other Chrono movement and the Manual Seagull can't be used for that kind of Rep ?

Don't get me wrong, I surely hope the new A7750 is better. I just ordered my first one after having fears of it for the last 3 years. But let's face it, it's not because the rep makers know it's a good movement, it's because there is nothing other. Once they have the money in their hands, they don't care if the watch die 10 minutes after or not..

Thanks a lot doc,

i have to say they look not too different in size and that's not good for me considerin g that for me the 45mm Po is way too big.

I think i'll wait another champion, the Iwc aquatimer and i'll see what to do.

For ryaku ;)

Some UPO comparison shots inc. on the wrist...

Not much in it as you can see, although despite its bigger girth, the AR feels a wee bit more comfortable on the wrist than the PO (even on rubber)

Very quick update before I disappear off for the weekend...

Just to clear up the datewheel alignment issue, as I said before my pics show the watch as received, the gen day/date wheels shown have not been installed yet. Confusion stems from my saying the alignment is quite bad....yet ironically when I took the pics on Tue 7 the wheels lined up quite well. That's not the norm, as today's date will attest, as crooked as....no, I'm not going to go there ;):lol:

Alignment aside, the font difference is quite apparent, another reason to swapout DDWs :D

FYI, like most daydate movts.....date snaps over right on midnight but daywheel doesn't kick in till 1.30am.

How about just fixing the wheels. It's not hard or expensive.

The date alignment problem is one amongst others... a cheaper quartz version would solve many other issues, linked to the Asian 7750 (I won't go into details, we all know and it's an already debated topic). The worst thing is that these versions often exist, but are not carried by our dealers.

Quartz? :blink:

You are joking right?

If you have other 'issues' with the movt (such as?) then the best way to solve them is a Valjoux 7750.....a much better investment than a cheaper quartz rep. If you want a quartz, you may as well buy a gen Aquaracer quartz.....plenty to be had at barely more than super-rep prices.

Enjoy! Great to see it on the SS bracelet, the way it should be. Worn the gen, and simply love this watch. I've found that the gen Carrera looks good in pictures, but in person, the Aquaracer steals the show.

Quite right! :tu: I've been preaching this for ages....how some watches look great in pics but are a big disappointment on the wrist......and how the Aquaracer is the polar opposite of this rule.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello Doc,

Im a newbie and am sourcing for a nice first rep. The Aquaracer looks nice!

Was looking through Andrew's webby and noticed this one TAG0020SWC - Aquaracer Chrono DayDate Black SSB - Asia 7750.

Under the desc it states: Movement: New Asia Valjoux 7750 (28,800bph)

Is it the same as the one you bought? Also, will they ever come out with an ETA version of the Aquaracer?

yes its the same mvmt. most chrono mvmt's use the asian 7750, which is proven to be a very good mvmt when using the newer high-beat 28k bph version. i would suggest you buy the one with the asian mvmt. if they come out with an aquaracer with the swiss it will be anywhere around $7-800. you should be fine with the asian 7750. hopefully that helps.

Just curious, did anybody go for the white dial version yet???

If so, please post some pics. Here I must admit an error, as the gen DOES exist in a white dial NOT silver as I previously stated. Tag Heuer changed it from the old 41mm Date Aquaracer, which was available in a silver dial, almost certainly due to legibility issues.