When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

177H arriving soon; which strap/buckle best matches?

erwinner

After all these SS watches, stutzer offered me his titanium 177H. So as we speak it's somewhere between the US and EU. Hopefully the watch will arive safe and sound...

but now I need to fix the issue that the watch does not have a strap or buckle yet. Up till now my PAM's are equiped with BOB-straps (a vertigo olive + OEM buckle for the PAM090 and a tabac gator + pre-V buckle for the 231 rose-gold radiomir), but I cannot decide on a strap and buckle...

Anybody any advice? I guess the vbarret approach is the way to go, but I know my wife will freak-out :bangin:

I have a very thick v strap that is brownish - used to be on my "the 666" project. Only worn a few times. Hand made, originally priced at like 80 bucks or so, i'm selling for 50 shipped if your interested, you can see the photos next to my 177h for comparison

297719-771.jpg

297719-772.jpg

297719-773.jpg

297719-774.jpg

297719-775.jpg

its the strap on the black watch

excellent pre-v buckles for cheap

http://www.panatime.com/prevbuckles.html

Anybody any advice? I guess the vbarret approach is the way to go, but I know my wife will freak-out :bangin:

Yay! I'm the benchmark for strap excess now. ;)

Okay, just for you erwinner, I went out and took a photo of my 177h on new Micah strap. Micah is on Paneristi, and his website was referenced by me last night on the Wrist-Check thread. I also have my 177h on Senape shown on that thread, reproduced here just for you.

First, Micah's website (DO NOT MENTION YOU HAVE A REP. Some strapmakers do care...): http://www.vintagerstraps.com/

Secondly, here are the wristies:

297741-758.jpg

This is Micah's VDark strap, which is so brown, it's black, and goes remarkably well with both colours of clothes. The white stitching also gives the Titanium some "bite", which I notice it sometimes lacks when compared to the SS of the regular PAMs. Note, I wanted the strap to have a bit of "tail" so this is the 150/80 size.

Here is a close-up of the polished buckle:

297741-759.jpg

Yes, it would've been nice to get a brushed buckle to go with the Ti, but I personally prefer polished as a rule.

Here's the 177h with Senape in a clever shot, inside a rock:

297741-760.jpg

The 177h is an EXCELLENT Panerai watch, versatile, and good-looking. But Titanium gets scratched up a lot.

I'm thinking of getting one of those Titanium scratch removal pens one sees on the *bay. Opinions?

@Slai, below: Love Strapculture straps. Waiting to get my own soon for the Radiomir. I chose a beautiful Legend burnt umber colour. Loved both your straps, but the second is more "Strapculturish".

Slai, could you send me a PM with the address of the web site from you bought these spectacular straps, please?

THANKS

Fitipaldi, you could await a PM or you could google Strapculture. I believe they are based out of the Far East (Singapore? Hong Kong? Not sure, but the guy from whom you order is very nice in emails).

Thanks all for the PIC's... Now I understand why I really wanted the 177H ;-)

Let me be a bit more specific in my request... 5 out 7 days a week I work in the office for multiple financial institutions. Or in short; Have to wear a suit!

As most suits are either grey or dark-blue, watches are a great thing to make a statement. How would a black gator strap fit the 177H? Any pic's? Any other suggestions matching a suit?

As most suits are either grey or dark-blue, watches are a great thing to make a statement. How would a black gator strap fit the 177H? Any pic's? Any other suggestions matching a suit?

Since I am up at this ungodly time of the night, dealing as usual with a rep related question in China, I have heard your plaintive plea, and shot a photo of my 177h still on the Micah, but with an Elliot/Timeconnection.biz custom-made gator strap over it.

THE COMBINATION LOOKS AWESOME, Erwinner.

Hang on, let me upload the pic. (EDIT: Here it is)

298012-629.jpg

Note, it was Rolli's strap first, so if you want info on ordering it, you should perhaps PM him instead. But whichever gator you go with, it's certainly elegant enough for your job.

Good luck! :)

Woowwww..... I guess my wife will kill me in the end :nono:

This is my Top-X after all of these pic's. I need to rob a bank in order to fund me all of these!

1. Maxmilan's Toscana with brushed buckle

2. Slai's YARRRR MATEY strap+buckle

3. vbarret's Micah Flat Black's http://vintagerstraps.com/Flat_black/

look's like I should definitelly switch to fulltime grey suits as this is the only colour that matches the Top 1 and 2...

Once the watch arrive's, I will definitately upload some pic's to show the results... just be patient, which is difficult for me as well :-(

3. vbarret's Micah Flat Black's http://vintagerstraps.com/Flat_black/

I'm outtie for the day, but just to say Erwinner that that is a good choice given your profession, and is perhaps a not overly elegant choice (like the gator).

One thing about Micah: he's a restauranteur in Napa Valley, whose restaurant was recently featured in US-cable channel, The Food Network. He's been swamped since then, and his strap-making (always a secondary hobby), has taken a bit of a back seat. Not sure he answers his emails for orders, as Greg Stevens does (instantaneously).

Try the Risti forums (Paneristi.com) but DO NOT tell them you have reps. Just check out the Accessories corner for used or new Micahs. They have excellent prices, and bargaining is expected. :)

Good luck!

Heres mine 177G on a strapculture and a Ti buckle.......

298675-254.jpg

And here same watch on a Toscana I brushed the buckle to get a better match with the Ti, also nice I think

298675-255.jpg

298675-256.jpg

That's a beautiful watch! One question.. is that movement correct for the 177? I'd love to get it in mine.

Check out Time Connection and their Fiero Toscana ... looks like the toscana above... i have 2 ..on the 176 and 177H .. i like the lighter colourstrap it brings out the Ti nicely

I LOVE THE FIERO! I received that recently, and think it's possibly the most versatile strap I have. It goes with the white-face, the black face, with Ti cases, and polished.

It even makes my monster (PAM 199) look good, despite the fact that it has stripped threads...so I can't really wear it.

Erwinner, one thing I have noticed about StrapCulture since getting it, is that the leather is not anywhere as nice as the other strapmakers. It's a tough, thick, unyielding, unchanging type of leather, which I originally had thought was "cool", largely because that buckle is sweet. Who doesn't want a skull-n-bones in one's buckle? :)

But the grown up in me says, this isn't worth USD118 plus shipping. There are much better straps for that kind of money. The Fiero being one of them.

(Just a note in favour of Strap Culture. The one I just ordered from them didn't come out well. So they are shipping me another one, with thinner leather which won't break my Radiomir lug screws which I feared the other strap would -- it's very very thick leather, almost 6mm. So at least they are very honourable merchants, and have no fears about them)

Still, sometimes you fall in love with something, and if it makes you happy, go for it! ;)

Hi all,

I received my 177 and Strap culture strap a few days ago. I purchased the legend mp historic brown with brushed buckle. It looks absolutely amazing. They are great to deal with. They do ship from hong kong. Took about 5 biz days to arrive and I live on the us east coast. They claim 7-10 so that was a nice surprise. Quality is A+. I can't believe how thick the strap is. Only issue is I always thought I had small wrists, next time I'd up the size because I think this strap may be too short. Due to the thickness in the strap it just feels short but may be OK. Seems to stretch slightly while wearing it.

Anyway compared to a few others, they are slightly cheaper and provide a quality product. I'll post some pics tomorrow.

Also everyone at work noticed, commented and were intrigued. Works well when dressed up but adds a casual feel. Wife approved and thought it was sexy.

That's a beautiful watch! One question.. is that movement correct for the 177? I'd love to get it in mine.

Well Sort of this is the 177 G-series with the painted (Sausage) dial. (This one is relumed)

It should have a swan neck and polished wheels otherwise its as good as a rep gets

I LOVE THE FIERO! I received that recently, and think it's possibly the most versatile strap I have. It goes with the white-face, the black face, with Ti cases, and polished.

It even makes my monster (PAM 199) look good, despite the fact that it has stripped threads...so I can't really wear it.

Erwinner, one thing I have noticed about StrapCulture since getting it, is that the leather is not anywhere as nice as the other strapmakers. It's a tough, thick, unyielding, unchanging type of leather, which I originally had thought was "cool", largely because that buckle is sweet. Who doesn't want a skull-n-bones in one's buckle? :)

But the grown up in me says, this isn't worth USD118 plus shipping. There are much better straps for that kind of money. The Fiero being one of them.

(Just a note in favour of Strap Culture. The one I just ordered from them didn't come out well. So they are shipping me another one, with thinner leather which won't break my Radiomir lug screws which I feared the other strap would -- it's very very thick leather, almost 6mm. So at least they are very honourable merchants, and have no fears about them)

Still, sometimes you fall in love with something, and if it makes you happy, go for it! ;)

ditto the review of strap culture ... i got the historic strap, the one that changes colour as it bends... like the Fiero does... and the quality of leather and stiching is lacking in the SC strap... (for the price) ... it is really hard, if at all possible to beat the quality of the Italian curing of their hides ... their straps seem to get better with wearing ... my MP XIII noce has a nice sheen after a couple months of wear. and with TC's specials .. Hawaiins say..."Hana Hou" .... "do it again"