When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

wrist shrink and grow

fotoman

anyone else have wrist shrinkage and growage as to make the watch tight and then floppy?

it bothers me.

Anyone have those "i'm fat pants" with the elastic sown in? im wondering about a small piece of elastic in the strap at the clasp end Hmmmm

those breitling straps with no holes are pretty good, but pricey

I need a faux deployant that is really velcro :) for fine adjusing

I thought about cutting up soem of those small shoe insert deals - the cotton ones put a little piece of cotten on the inside of the strap Hmmm

am i nuts

ok don't answer that - anyone else care about this?

i notice my submariner occasionally is a little looser than normal. this is prob due to temperature and water retention in your body etc etc. Im sure the watch isnt changing size so it must be me LOL

Simple solution for RWG-types: Carry two watches, one sized for the thinner wrist diameter, and one for the larger wrist diameter. Or wear a watch on a strap where you can simply loosen it by one hole, kind of like you do with your belt at Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner.

4 factors which contribute to this issue;

1) Salt- your daily salt intake can subtly change your volume status, and this can change your size a little. If you have healthy kidneys, it will correct.

2) Gravity- your circulatory and lymphatic systems do their best to compensate, but interstitial fluid always migrates down (why some peoples' feet swell up at the end of a long day.) This is exacerbated by-

3) Venous insufficiency. Some people when they get older have failure of the valves in their veins which keep fluid flowing in the right direction. Typically this is a lower extremity issue, but I have seen some pretty nasty ultrasounds of arms.

and lastly

4) Elevation/ Longitude- Not sure why, but watches that fit me perfectly here in Philadelphia are tight in Miami. Ones that are tight in Philadelphia are loose up in the Pocono Mountains. This is purely observational on my part.

Just in case you wanted to know...

-O

Happens to me at the end of the day. I size my bracelets at the end of the day and never at the beginning. I used to make the adjustment too tight but hey, these are bracelets so they are supposed to be loose and it feels fine now. Yes, the watch does not stay centrally located on the back of the wrist but that is just the way it is.

I don't find that I have to change holes for leather bands so I am thinking that the leather shrinks and lengthens as needed with the wrist movement.

Usil

In the morning, when you put a watch on, it's cold and you've been lying down for 8 hours or so. A watch will be loose at this point. At the end of the day, that same watch will have warmed up and your arms will be slightly wider. On some watches, this doesn't change much, but on others, say an Omega Seamaster, this can make a difference between a wearable watch and tradebait.

Most of my watches end up on leather straps for this reason. Watches that don't have this problem are my Planet Ocean and Subs/SD.

Oh, and Breitlings have fine-tuners in the clasps so they can be set right.

I am glad I am not the only one with this problem... for me at least, it depends on heat - on a warmer day the bracelet sits where it should but on a hot day, it is too tight. But usually if it is cold, it slides as it is too loose. Once I have worked up a sweat though, it is tight again. Frustrating.

As suggested by Usil...

I also size my bracelets to fit my wrist on a hot afternoon or after a long day... they may be a bit loose in the morning or when its cold... but not soo loose as to be annoying...

If your wrist size changes are so drastic that this isn't a viable option.... perhaps the two watch, one on wrist, one in pocket isn't a bad idea.... either ways its an excuse to change watches throughout the day. =)

Perhaps you all need to stop doing your *ahem* wrist exercises ;)

Seriously, this is wear rubber straps come in useful, as they are designed to expand and contract as well.

I've been told that the best time of day to weigh yourself is the first thing in the morning. Then as you go thru the day, you'll find when you step on the scale you're up a pound or two. Retaining water, eating, drinking too much beer... But then you can go work out, do yard work, or otherwise sweat and drop a few pounds. And all thru this I like my watch either loose or real loose. If it's tight, I loosen it up a notch.

But I do think this is pretty normal for the size of your wrist to change thru the day by an 1/8 or as much as a 1/4 inch if you're Hulk Hogan.

Perhaps you all need to stop doing your *ahem* wrist exercises ;)

Seriously, this is wear rubber straps come in useful, as they are designed to expand and contract as well.

DOH!

yeah, i moved tword the leather straps for this purpose. I still end up "tweening" with the spots. I need 2 custom holes put in my straps, 8:00 am 4:00 pm :)

4 factors which contribute to this issue;

1) Salt- your daily salt intake can subtly change your volume status, and this can change your size a little. If you have healthy kidneys, it will correct.

2) Gravity- your circulatory and lymphatic systems do their best to compensate, but interstitial fluid always migrates down (why some peoples' feet swell up at the end of a long day.) This is exacerbated by-

3) Venous insufficiency. Some people when they get older have failure of the valves in their veins which keep fluid flowing in the right direction. Typically this is a lower extremity issue, but I have seen some pretty nasty ultrasounds of arms.

and lastly

4) Elevation/ Longitude- Not sure why, but watches that fit me perfectly here in Philadelphia are tight in Miami. Ones that are tight in Philadelphia are loose up in the Pocono Mountains. This is purely observational on my part.

Just in case you wanted to know...

-O

haha lol or it could be that all things expand under heat, only metal expands at a slower rate than flesh.

haha lol or it could be that all things expand under heat, only metal expands at a slower rate than flesh.

That might explain the Florida thing, a little, but those other factors are actual contributors. When I work with an injured athlete, we factor in expansion/contraction of tissues based upon these issues when fitting them with custom supports (for knees, wrist, etc...) This is why neoprene is so useful as it allows something that fits reasonably well at 7am to still fit reasonably well at 7pm. Fortunately, most players train in one area, so once you know their size range, you can make something that works for them. Of course that can all go out the window when, for example, the Eagles are playing in Miami (Unfortunately, the Dolphins are coming here this year- eliminating an extra trip to Miami- Bah!!!!)

-O