When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

which gen for 3000 - 4000euro?

t

i will buy a new toy... my favorite watch the IWC big pilot is to expensive now and should wait to christmas.

i will spend 3000 - 4000euro and looking for this models:

1. rolex sea-dweller

+ i like the thick case and it is my favorite rolex

+ it has a manufactur cal. and will not fall in value anytime...

+ you can wear it EVERYDAY and to all clothes

- to small... i like bigger watches with 44mm

- you wear a 4.500euro watch and ALL will think this is a cheap rep

2. Maurice Lacroix masterpiece retrograde in solid 18K... list is over 8.500euro but available on ebay for appr. 4000 - 4500euro in mint condition.

+ 43mm big watch

+ nice looking movement and beautiful dial

+ solid 18k

- to classy... you can

The two that you can afford, are the two most repped, particularly the Pam 111.

So where do you go from there?

It is of course the true question, and that is: are you buying the watch for your own enjoyment, or are you hoping that others will attach the value of the watch to you? Only you can answer the question. It is difficult to predict the investment value of a watch at this point so it comes down to the current value and it's current value to you. The fact that this board exists is an indication. But we cannot validate you.

If you are detrmined to buy a gen at several thousand euros, perhaps the gen boards would be of more help to you.

Carl

The rolex is nice, but just too small IMO, either of the Maurice Lacroix's are nice but if I had the choice I think I would go with the GP Sea Hawk,,,there is something nice about this watch that I find myself going back to again and again when I see it in the various magazines. Of course,,if I had the money I would go with a Benzinger but can't really go wrong with any of these. Enjoy the decision,,,,,, :D

Whenever somebody asks me what is the best gen brand, I think to myself "Blancpain, obviously". Why? The simple truth is that no Blancpain reps exist - go and check our dealer's sites, find any...? Didn't think so!

If you want a watch with pedigree, class, and of course the coveted title of the only manufacturer never to succumb to quartz, I would definitely look into it. Granted, the cost of entry is quite steep - but look at it as an investment opportunity rather than a simple purchase. The heritage and rarity of these exquisite pieces make them the perfect objects to use as family heirlooms. I could go on and on about how much I love this brand and how it has been spared by rep manufacturers and how it takes a true connoisseur to consider it but you should figure that on your own!

Good luck and have fun!

The two that you can afford, are the two most repped, particularly the Pam 111.

So where do you go from there?

It is of course the true question, and that is: are you buying the watch for your own enjoyment, or are you hoping that others will attach the value of the watch to you? Only you can answer the question. It is difficult to predict the investment value of a watch at this point so it comes down to the current value and it's current value to you. The fact that this board exists is an indication. But we cannot validate you.

If you are detrmined to buy a gen at several thousand euros, perhaps the gen boards would be of more help to you.

Carl

Hi Carl... sure... but i don

The rolex is nice, but just too small IMO, either of the Maurice Lacroix's are nice but if I had the choice I think I would go with the GP Sea Hawk,,,there is something nice about this watch that I find myself going back to again and again when I see it in the various magazines. Of course,,if I had the money I would go with a Benzinger but can't really go wrong with any of these. Enjoy the decision,,,,,, :D

if i wasn

#5 or if you haven't checked it out yet the new Rolex GMT with the ceramic bezel and improved case/clasp. My BIG boss has one I got to check out today and I'm so jealous. :wub: Other than the GP you can get a great rep for much less, the GP pro is n my short list as well. ;)

YES... one of my watches on my list... but it cost 5.200euro and you can

Your decision shouldn't be based on whether or not there is a rep available. Out of the two I would go for the Pam111.

The reasons for this are

1) You can wear it everyday

2) You can change strap combinations on this from rubber to leather to make it a very versatile sports'classy looking watch

3) It's at the lower end of your budget so you have some left to put towards the IWC at Christmas

There are some fantastic replica's available of this watch, but there is nothing quite like wearing a gen!

Yes the Sea Hawk is a very interesting watch,... and you can get it 30% - 40% under list

the GP SH has MANY MANY different models available... i saw over 10 different versions of Sea Hawk

when you guys could choose between:

- ML retrograde in 18k in used but mint condition (high list price but available for 4000euro - 4500euro)

- ML double retrograde in steel BRAND NEW (high list price but available for 3500 - 4000euro)

for which would you go?

8524_12_sb.jpg

7f2b_12_sb.jpg

90db_12_sb.jpg

mp7018-ss001-110_4.jpg

mp7018-ss001-110_5.jpg

mp7018-ss001-110_10.jpg

mp7018-ss001-110_2.jpg

Is it??? that movement looks incredible!!

my movement will look better... Jochen ask me he will build it with platinum blue plating :o like his new watch "blau Stunde" (retail $78.000) and not blue PVD plating like on last movements.

Here pics of his new $78.000 watch:

WB_Blaue_Stunde_1_vorne1.jpg

WB_Blaue_Stunde_2_vorne1.jpg

WB_Blaue_Stunde_r_ck1.jpg

i will buy a new toy... my favorite watch the IWC big pilot is to expensive now and should wait to christmas.

....Tourby, wait until Christmas & get your favorite. :p

1. rolex sea-dweller

- you wear a 4.500euro watch and ALL will think this is a cheap rep

....Na! A gen Sea-Dweller is a fantastic watch and doesn't look like any rep plus is not that common. The fit and finish is terrific and the 904 steel cannot be replicated. The SD is built like an anvil, has terrific resale (specially if purchased second hand), has a deep history and will easily last a lifetime beating the crap out of it everyday. Should you tire of it, it is very easy to sell at a minimal loss, if any.

You might also look into the JLCs. Fantastic watches and entirely built in-house. Their fit, finish & movements are superb.

Best of luck with your hunt!

my movement will look better... Jochen ask me he will build it with platinum blue plating :o like his new watch "blau Stunde" (retail $78.000) and not blue PVD plating like on last movements.

WB_Blaue_Stunde_1_vorne1.jpg

This is so beautiful that If I could wear only one watch, this would very likely be it.

As far as the ML, I've also had a chance to look at them in person. I agree that the pictures do not do justice to these pieces. I have an AD just down the street and always bother the guy looking at the ML and the blancpains.

I second the JLC's. Of your list I like the Seahawk best. But you have got to come over to our neck of the woods. Things are a lot cheaper given the weakness in the dollar. On the PAM's you can do a hell of a lot better and pick one that will never be repped and is MIB with papers for well under 4,000 Euros. :)