When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Asian Steelfish does not have 28,800

fotoman

Just wanted to confirm that one of my recent purchases an asian steelfish does not have the Fast beat asian in it and in fact has a slow beat 21,000. IT ticks exact along with my asian newbmariner (a real TTK newbmariner) and there is a very noticeable difference with my swiss movement one.

I thought i checked it when i first got the watch and it was ok, but, i just got it back for an AR run (it was a gift) and i noticed the ticking. After comparing i can say for sure, its not sweeping enough. It appears to be keeping decent time

Make sure to check your asian Steelfish against your other swiss movement watches. If you don't know what to look for, go take a look at a Gen. The difference is subtle, but noticeable to someone who is used to seeing it.

i will report back on the AR quality of the Asian steelfish conversion vs. the factory swiss when i get it back in a few weeks

My dealer and i are at peace here, that isn't the issue, this is a PSA for folks to keep an eye out for the factory stuffing any old movement in there

Phoband

I have already said this in another thread, cant remember which one

The movement in the Asian SFSO is the DG2813 which is 21,600 bph

The similar movement that is 28,800 bph is the DG 4813, it is currently being used in the new B&R 03-92

The DG2813 is similar in thickness to the ETA 2836, however it beats at 21,600

The DG4813 is similar in thickness to the ETA 2892, an it beats at 28,800 bph.

The DG 2813 can be picked up from Ofrei or cousins UK for about $10

The DG 4813 is slightly more expensive at around $25, but still very cheap for a reliable movement.

link to ofreis chinese movements

I asked the dealer about the mvmt in the Asian SFSO I bought and here is his response:

"I have double checked with my supplier and he has confirmed to me that these are 28,800vph. I purchase them from the same factory that Andrew and Joshua purchase their SFSO's from. They also confirm that it is an Asian 2813 ETA 21J at 28,800. http://www.trustytime88.com/index.php?main...roducts_id=1250

Please understand that the vph is not an indicator of how fast the second hand ticks but rather In a watch, the balance wheel swings to and fro on its own axis and acts as the ruling organ of the movement's escapement. The amplitude (usually about 300 degrees) is restricted by the balance spring, which also provides the reversing of the direction of rotation. The frequency of the alternating vibration is measured either in vibrations per hour (vph) or Hertz (Hz). "

Looks like they might have their info wrong, since the A2813 doesn't beat at 28,800.

Edited by spookycord

• 1 month later...

Very good post.

So i just bought the PAM 127 from TWP, an ETA 18,000vph movement i beleive. So does this mean that the smoothness is not as smooth as the 28,000vph??? Will it be really noticalble. I mean the watch doesnt have a second hand as big as other watches just had a small subdial for the second movement.

Generally speaking, a faster rate will yield a smoother sweep since the second hand will "tick" more often during the same time period (28800 = 8 "ticks" per second, 18000 = 5 "ticks" per second). With the 28800vph movements, the second hand stops/starts so quickly, it appears to sweep continuously at a glance. As you slow the rate, the start/stop movement of the second hand becomes more noticeable.

However, the difference in rate becomes less obvious as the second hand becomes shorter. The individual "ticks" are much more apparent with longer second hands since they are covering a greater distance with each revolution.

Edited by TexBiker

Very good post.

So i just bought the PAM 127 from TWP, an ETA 18,000vph movement i beleive. So does this mean that the smoothness is not as smooth as the 28,000vph??? Will it be really noticalble. I mean the watch doesnt have a second hand as big as other watches just had a small subdial for the second movement.

Come on man do some research, we are talking about a completely different movement, the DG2813 and DG4813 which are basically asian variants of the ETA 2836.

Your watch PAM 127 has an ETA 6497 (Old unitas) movement, it has a firm place in history as a work horse and great movement. IT is a slower beat, but as another member said the second hand on panerais are usually very small so it wont be noticeable.

• 4 weeks later...

I need a Steelfish. Simple as that. I am wondering if it is a better idea to buy one of the Super Steelfish for $300+ or to buy a cheapo for $120-$135 shipped and an Ofreis DG 4813 and marry up the two. My concern would be the AR as I think, apart from sweep, Breitling AR is the biggest tell (No-one really memorizes font sizes do they?).

I figure that swapping out the movement would be fun and make me feel good, and get me a cheaper super Steelfish, but only if the cheapo versions come with double AR. So, does anyone know if any do? and if so, who has them?

Well if you swapped out the movement you might as well send the crystal for either Cheiftang or K2222 depending on where you are for double AR, you mat well be very close to the price for the ETA one with AR with postage and what have you. With the supply being a bit dry at the moment of the ETA one nmaking it your self may be the ony option.