When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Ultimate Speedmaster Pro

leitztozeiss

After months of waiting for a Speedmaster (the discontinued one with the domed crystal) to show up on the sales boards and after missing the chance to get Pug's, I decided to spring for the real deal. I managed to snag this one recently for $1000 on the bay - not a bad price, I think. Enjoy. More pics coming later.

1346661245_3b37f59b47_o.jpg

1347550386_f024b16a51_o.jpg

1346679273_5f930dae19_o.jpg

1346886485_a20b3bdc30_o.jpg

Thanks guys! I added a pic of the Speedy next to the lovely UPO, which by the way gives up nothing in terms of quality and feel to the Speedy. The UPO, like the Speedy, is a keeper. Hey Pugs, I added a caseback shot for you. Unfortunately, it's not the clear back.

I may still pick up a rep Speedmaster (the discontinued variety) if one ever comes along to do a comparison. (If anyone in the Detroit area has one and are willing to meet for a photo shoot, please PM me.)

Here are some additional pics. My son in the third pic is actually the owner of this fine watch - I'm just keeping it safe for him until he's old enough to appreciate it. In that picture, he's standing below a first stage of a Saturn V rocket on display at Kennedy Space Center. He's holding up his toy Saturn V rocket, for scale. :)

The last pic is the launch of Space Shuttle Endeavor STS-118, taken from the NASA causeway this past August.

1347614397_0d536f02f1_o.jpg

1348545492_f65cbfd6e5_o.jpg

1347620385_07a8f50991_o.jpg

1347620625_109b2085b0_b.jpg

Great purchase.

I love that case back. I got myself one (genuine) for my rep (old version)

omegaspeedymoon_800_07.jpg

OmegaSpeedyMoon_GenCaseback_800_01.jpg

As I have a spare Speedy, and thus 2 rep glass case back, I would be delighted to help you to have one.

I received the spare one from Richard_UK which is almost complete.

So, if I want to use the glass case back, I can still pop it off the spare one.

I assume that if the genuine solid case back fits the rep, the rep glass case back should fit the genuine Speedy ;)

omegaspeedymoon_800_11.jpg

Feel free to PM me.

Cheers

Stephane

A $1000 for a Speedy is an AMAZING deal! I've been hunting on eBay, including the completed deals, and it seems impossible to find one under ~$1400. Any tips, or just plain lucky? Congrats on the watch!

There was about 2 minutes left in the auction. The pictures used in the auction were aweful, but the guy had stellar feedback. In at least several of his completed watch auctions (all positive feedback), the background in the pictures were the same as in the Speedmaster pictures. In all instances, the photos were the same - crap.

Anyway, with 2 minutes left, I studied his feedback and recent transactions and got comfortable with placing a bid. The auction price was about $900 at the time, but the reserve was not met. With a minute to go I threw in a bid of $1001, betting that he probably set the reserve at $1000 - there's no science in this - it just seemed like a reasonable, nice round number. I threw in a couple more bids after I realized that the reserve was met, and waited. To my surprise, no one placed a bid and I won the auction at $1000. IMO, I think people were unsure because of the crappy photos. But wait . . . there's more . . .

So, before sending paypal payment, I wanted to confirm at least the identity of this person and contact information. I requested the contact information from eBay, since I now had a completed auction with this person. I got a phone number and called. The guy seemed a bit surprised, but in the end, turned out to be very friendly and told me about the watch. By the end of the conversation, I was comfortable to send payment including extra for overnight shipment and got the watch the next day! And, it's been glued to my arm ever since. I've even had thoughts of selling my beautiful UPO . . . :)

1346889593_4ea7e7f100_o.jpg