When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What Floats Your Boat?

vlydog

Greetings All,

This is a great community we belong to. I have learned so much and have met so many friends and interesting people here. I have always wondered what other special interests our forum members have and thought it would be exciting to start this thread.

I have been fascinated by watches since I was a young boy. In a pre-school picture, I rolled up my sleeve to show off my new watch that was a gift from my grandmother.

My other interests include:

Fine wine

BBQ

Gourmet meals

Ethnic foods

Old Houses

Live music

Sporting clays

Organic gardening

Travel (met my wife while traveling in Italy on a wine excursion)

Micro-brewing

Knife collecting (mostly automatics)

Please share and have fun, Vlydog

Great idea vlydog, maybe if we get a list of other interests we can start leveraging the member base for ideas on other topics. You can expect to get some PMs from me regarding wines on my next trip to Italy!

My interests include:

Watches (obviously)

Sports cars

Women ;)

Investing

Motorcycles

Travel (I have a job where I travel every week)

Weight lifting (I've always been skinny, looking to bulk up)

Hmm, can you tell that I'm not married?! Most of these interests don't match up with the interests of the opposite sex too well . . .

Vlydog, you're one of the most underrated members here. You're always coming up with great ideas and comments like these. Thanks! :)

As for me, other than WATCHES, of course. ;)

Books

Movies

Travelling

Militaria

Clothes

Sport (esp. soccer, tennis, golf as both particiant and spectator)

Fin de Si

Hmm, can you tell that I'm not married?! Most of these interests don't match up with the interests of the opposite sex too well . . .

I'm guessing you're still a little young; in your travels you try to hook up with the same kind of women you do back home; and you want to enjoy life before settling down.

What I'm trying to say is that you can find women who compliment your interests (look at me), but when you marry, your priorities (should) change.

I notice one thing about men -- they try to find the perfect woman, in body, personality and interests. That's a recipe for life disconsolation, Smilingbear.

Just try to find a woman, once you've had fun, who is there for the tough times and the good times. And don't let her go if you do. :)

@ Fxrandy, thanks for bringing your family to the thread. You are right; without family, who are we, really?

@vbarrett you always hit your mark; inexhaustible in giving and with praise. Thank you!

@ hambone and smilingbear thank you for your contributions. Let's keep it going.

At the moment its

Poker - all types,this int can easy thake up 14hours a day 7days a week

Dogs - mostly bull&terrier breeds but as it stand now many breeds is illegal in my country so cant go forward but to fight the breed bans keep my int going.

Training - its always been something i whant to begin thaking serious but the lacy part of me says no :lol:

Japan - i em very facinated by the culture so i read alot of books about Japan.

Fashion -

Right now this is what my other int besides watches is.

Cheers,

Dani

architecture

industrial design

exploring whatever environment I find myself in

salsa and latin jazz

ukulele (hawaiian tradition)

books

good wine & food (love middle eastern, barbeque and sushi)

bourbon

good strong coffee

bicycling

working out

going for long walks

having a few laughs with friends and family, making good memories

I collect Scotch and Bourbon whiskey's, I draw and paint and enjoy golf as often as possible but find my schedule restricts my opportunities for both of these. My family comes first in my life and we manage to enjoy family supper time which we spend together every day. My children are still young enough that their schedules and interests allow this. It really is the best part of my day. I am writing down the collection of bedtime adventure stories that I told my son when he was a little guy and plan on illustrating them myself to make an adventure book for young boys. Finally, I try every day to let the people I love, know how much they mean to me in case I do not have that opportunity tomorrow. I have found this to be a good way to live my life. Cheers

Lets see. I have quite a few interests but I'll list my primary passions:

Cars. All cars. I have to keep up to date on anything new and how it stacks up to the competition.

Subset to cars - racing. Formula 1, WRC, ALMS are my favorites, but I have been known to watch a stock car race everynow and then

Subset to racing - track. I try to get out on track 2 to 3 times a year in my RX7 - I've even roped my wife into doing it with me in her RX8

Movies - Old, new, and anything in between I love to watch movies.

Books - I've been slacking lately but I usually have 2 or 3 books being read at any given time

Music - I listen to a lot of music - mostly classic rock and classical, and I also play the piano.

Computers/IT - I work in IT so it's a good thing I like it. I like to try and keep up to date on computer technology as well as the latest software that is out there that may pertain to my job.

Dogs - i have 4 dogs, 3 mutts and one very precocious Jack Russell Terrier. I can't imagine life without all the entertainment and love I get out of them and their individual personalities.

My wife - don't need much of an explanation there. Coming up on our 10th anniversary.

And last but certainly not least - Watches!

Ok I'll play...

1) Family.........If I ever lose them I'll have nothing else worth keeping

2) Friends........They were all there for my wife and daughter whilst I was in hospital so I know how to pick the good ones

3) Music..........I have done many professional gigs in my younger days and love classical, big band and jazz

4) Watches......Hey what do you think I'm here for anyway

5) Curries........And why do you think I married an Indian girl :D

6) Scotch.........Straight, on the rocks, with dry or out of a brown paper bag it's all good

7) Beer.............Hey I'm an Aussie, it's what we do

8) Reading.........I'm a compulsive reader, if I go to the toilet I have to read the can of air freshener

9) Sports............Used to be a keen sportsman, so much so that I could never focus on just one sport to become good enough to stand out, these days with my back injury I mainly follow my favourite sports on TV

Ken

Bull fighting

Dog fighting

Gladiator matches

Sewing quilts

Are you Michael Vick <_<

Me, I spend my time:

-Family - goes without saying. My daughter keeps me sane, just hit 16th anniversary so I like my wife - :p

-Sports - Watching and participating; avid skier and hiker

-Reading - always reading something - like Kenberg

-House - always have a long list of projects. Post & Beam house we built ourselves on 7 acres so lots to keep up with

-Music - Listening, of course. Huge Who fan (in case you couldn't tell from my avatars B) )

-Beer - Not an aussie but drink beer like one :lol:

Wow, what a fascinating thread! Great to get a (small) insight into the personalities behind some of the avatars :)

OK, so here goes:-

My wife and baby daughter - they have to be top of my list, because my life revolves around them, although especially my daughter, since my job and working hours mean that I only get to spend about an hour a day with her, and that's extremely precious.

Outdoor sports - not really a team sports guy, adrenaline is my thing, so

• snowboarding - been riding since '90, and spent 3 seasons working in various roles in ski resorts in France and US
    rock climbing - boulder up to V3, trad to E1 5c/6a, all in UK, but plan to try some Spanish rock this winter maybe.
    cycling - both mtb and road, currently have a Trek for the road, and Marin full sus for the downhills
    scuba-diving - learnt whilst at Uni, and dived extensively in UK (and yes, I've got a dry suit and wooly bear ;) ), only dive on holiday now though.

Motorbikes/cars - currently ride a 2002 Honda Fireblade (CBR954 to those who know their bikes), which is used all year round for my daily commute (I know it's a crime, but I've fitted heated grips to it for the winter). Love all cars and bikes, but particularly into choppers/custom bikes (Exile, OCC, etc.) and high performance sports cars.

Food - have done stints cooking for others (in ski resorts), but enjoy cooking anything, or having it cooked for me! Wife and I regularly visit farmers markets (including the ever popular celebrity-spotting paradise that is Borough Market in London), and try to cook all meals from scratch, i.e. no packet foods!

Travel - have done a reasonable amount, but not yet visited China, Japan, Australia, NZ, Russia and Africa. Fotunate to have spent considerable time in France, US, and Brazil through work (I'm an Engineer), and had some free time to explore.

Music/films - lumped these two together because my tastes in both are similar - like edgy, unusual, left-field stuff, not a big fan of the mainstream. Best film recently film was Babel, and last CD was Rodrigo y Gabriella.

Lastly, watches - always been interested, even though my 'first' watch was a stainless steel LED watch, (with cool red numerals -anyone remember them?), back in the late '70's. Only recently became aware of this whole rep thing - previously thought rep's were just Bangkok specials for $10 that would fall apart, but totally amazed by all this. As and when, I will purchase gen's that I feel are worth the money.

Sorry for the long list, got a bit carried away there.... :whistling:

Ok I'll play...

1) Family.........If I ever lose them I'll have nothing else worth keeping

2) Friends........They were all there for my wife and daughter whilst I was in hospital so I know how to pick the good ones

3) Music..........I have done many professional gigs in my younger days and love classical, big band and jazz

4) Watches......Hey what do you think I'm here for anyway

5) Curries........And why do you think I married an Indian girl :D

Ken, I have to count Indian cuisine as one of my favorites!

What's your favorite beer?

6) Scotch.........Straight, on the rocks, with dry or out of a brown paper bag it's all good

7) Beer.............Hey I'm an Aussie, it's what we do

8) Reading.........I'm a compulsive reader, if I go to the toilet I have to read the can of air freshener

9) Sports............Used to be a keen sportsman, so much so that I could never focus on just one sport to become good enough to stand out, these days with my back injury I mainly follow my favourite sports on TV

Ken

Cars.

Movies

Books

Music

Computers/IT

Dogs

And last but certainly not least - Watches!

WOW! So far a perfect match, Section8!

My wife - don't need much of an explanation there. Coming up on our 10th anniversary.

But the good ones are always taken. Congrats. Tin and pewter tankards are always nice. :)

(I am actually the most similar to Rima! Except for the long walks bit. I just don't look good in Timberlands)

Well, I've been into watches since I was 6 years old and my father gave me my first watch. IIRC, it was a Croton digital. What made it so unique is that the numbers were made of tiny little red 'bulbs' (most at the time used longer sections to make up the numbers). I still had that watch up until our last move when it was lost. Basically, for as long as I can remember I've had an interest in watches. Replica's, for me, started around 1983-1984 or so when my dad's buddy brought a briefcase full of Rollie replica's to the house. And yes, dad bought a full gold Presidents complete with quartz movement (very few had automatics back then). That was eventually given to me when dad ended up buying a real two-tone datejust with a black tapestry dial. I *think* I might still have the case and bracelet from that President laying around somewhere!

I've also been into cars for as long as I can remember. I grew up on the old Detroit muscle cars of the 60's and very early 70's. My dad and my uncle were really into Mopar's, so that brand ended up being my favorite as well (still is). I've had over 50 cars/trucks since I turned 16 over 20 years ago, so much like the replica hobby I tend to buy, enjoy and sell cars as my tastes evolve. The last 8 years or so I've been into more modern performance cars. I currently have two Taurus SHO's (one is my wifes) that are a blast to drive. They don't have the straight line performance that some of my earlier stuff had, but they combine braking, handling and straight line beautifully. There is actually a national club that throws yearly conventions that are well attended (we have a number of folks from Japan, one from GB and IIRC, one from Australia). The club rents tracks around the nation (Mid-Ohio, Gingerman, Gratton Raceway, etc) that club members have exclusive access to, so it's a LOT of fun. Lately, I've been interested in the Subaru offerings - specifically the Legacy GT's. That will probably be my next car purchase with my eye never far from the M5 with my name on it.

Off and on over the years I've also been into motorcycling. In my younger days, it was mostly dirt bikes that interested me. I've never been long without some kind of two wheeled machine. Over the last 4 years, it's been Harley Davidson. I currently ride a 2007 Sportster 1200 Custom that I picked up last September. During the summer months here in the States, motorcycling tends to take over all my 'hobby time'. We usually like to take at least one week out of the summer to travel on the bike. The last trip we took was from Pittsburgh to the Jersey shore. It was one of the most memorable events in my life as it was just me and my wife (then fiance') on my Sportster along with my father on his Sportster. Traveling on a motorcycle is unlike any other type of travel. The connection you feel with your surroundings and your companions is something everyone should experience.

Beer has always been a hobby of sorts as well. Well, if drinking cheap beer in order to have a good time is a hobby, then I'm an expert! Lately though, I've started to expand my palate and have discovered beer again for the first time. The latest discovery is wheat based beer. A couple weeks ago, a friend of mine brought a beer called Franziskaner (Hefe-Weisse) that is just out of this world. Smooth, somewhat fruity and unlike anything I ever drank in the past. To think that there has been all these wonderful beers out there and I've been wasting my time and taste on Coors light, Miller, etc. I've got a LOT of catching up to do!

Like a lot of folks, I also enjoy movies/TV. I tend towards Sci-Fi/fantasy/adventure more than anything else. I'm a huge James Bond fanatic, love Star Wars, Star Trek is an all time favorite, and lately I've been into the Star Gate series' on the Sci-Fi channel. There are two shows in the USA network - The 4400 and The Dead Zone that are also very enjoyable. I guess I like to watch on TV/Big Screen what you can't find in real life. Drama's don't interest me that much as they're usually based on plots you hear about on the news every day. For me, that's a huge snooze-fest. If I'm going to watch something on TV or at the movies, I want to be entertained by something I can't find in everyday life.

Anyway, before I turn this into a Autobiography, lemme sum it up in no particular order of importance:

1) Watches

2) Cars

3) Motorcycles

4) Movies/TV

5) Simply being outdoors

6) Food

7) Beer

8) Clothing

9) Audio (home theatre specifically)

10) Model Making

I guess that about sums it up!

SR

@ SportsterRider: I am thinking about installing a simple home theater system in my house. I used to be a serious audiophile but in the last few years all I have done is to sell off pieces. What components are bringing the best bang for the buck in home theater these days?

Vlydog

Ok "I'll give it a a whirl"(name that movie quote..)

A few of my Fav things:

Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens

Bright copper kettels and warm woolen mittens

brown paper packages tied up in STRINGS (ahem...ahem)

These are a few of my favorite things

A few more:

1. Living an International Lifestyle (i'm 24, I've lived in 4 countries and it has changed me forever, Foreign Service Officer Candidate)

2. My lovely girlfriend

3. Having Fun

4. Dancing

5. The bar/club/friend/party scene

6. Sex

7. Eating

8. My nissan maxima that is unfortunately not here with me in europe (maybe in spring)

9. Jimi Hendrix (musical god)

10. Playing guitar like Jimi (hehe. been playing for 10 years)

11. my family

12. Watches (not a superfan, but obviously enough to be part of the forum)

13. Technology

14. good beer

15. Bourbon and Whisky

16. nature

17. staying fit and not eating McDonald's

18. being liberal,

19. Politics and Diplomacy (not always hand in hand)

20. Arguing with political conservatives (not economically)

Edited by plaifender