When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

US Customs

Victoria

I was interested in buying an uPO from an EU member, but s/he said:

"No U.S.A I'm afraid as I'm sick of the sillyness caused by your customs practises."

That's the first I've heard of that, since it's usually the other way around. Anyone have stories of US Customs' experiences regarding rep watches (specifically from Europe, since China seems to be okay)?

Seriously, it's important to know these things, good bad or ugly!

I think that watch is cursed.....

(not that individual sellers)

but i've been trying to get a UPO for a while now..... 2 diff dealers havent gotten back to me about it. 1 said they had it in stock, but when i ask him about it there are other things going on that prevent shipping..... and the other said he would have one for me last week....hasnt replied since....... =( someone posted one for sale the other day in forsale..and after i pm'd him for it...he deleted the thread (guess he changed his mind)

I just want a Orange uPO for ~250.00 is that so hard? lol stupid eta shortage "raising prices"

I was interested in buying an uPO from an EU member, but s/he said:

"No U.S.A I'm afraid as I'm sick of the sillyness caused by your customs practises."

That's the first I've heard of that, since it's usually the other way around. Anyone have stories of US Customs' experiences regarding rep watches (specifically from Europe, since China seems to be okay)?

Seriously, it's important to know these things, good bad or ugly!

Confucious say: Consider the source.

I`m on the west coast and never had a problem through Frisco customs. Only problematic area I have heard is customs through Texas.

I am in Texas. However, a watch I purchased last month came thru SFO customs, was in customs processing for two days, came out on the morning of the thrird day. Once out of customs, the package came screaming right on through USPS, was deliverd two days later.

I think US customs probably has a lot higher priority tasks looking for terrorists packages drifting into the US. I suspect they don't spend a lot of time chasing watches.

@V

I think about 99% of all parcels make it through customs event free. I have heard the same about Texas, as if it is an Urban Legend. I drop ship to clients in Texas without incident. Eventually the odds will catch up and I am sure that i will loose one going through DFW.

Cheers

TWP

Clearly a confused seller!

The only "Hot" spot state side is Texas.

The west and east coasts are rareley ever a problem.

We don't have to pay taxes, duties or fees before we get our watches, they just show up at the door.

It was the number one aspect of rep collecting I researched on 2 forums (RWG1, RWG.CC) thoroughly, before placing that fateful first order with Paul.

I read and read and read -- and clearly the US was nearly without problems about Customs.

Does anyone remember that thread where the guy in French Guyana had his package nabbed by Customs, and he had to look the boss straight in the eye and say, "Hey those aren't my watches", and walked away scot free?

Apparently, he was threatened not only with fines, but gaol-time, if memory serves. SCARY.

But smaller countries are indeed like that.

I liked that BobM posted what he did, living in Texas as he does. In fact, yes, I had heard there was a collector who no longer shipped to Texas. And to Canada...and to France, wasn't it?

@Ryyannon: Ah yes? Didn't know there was anything there.

Further on getting buys into the US and Texas, in particular ...

I have another watch inbound as we speak. It left China Sep 22. USPS tracking reported to me that the watch was "inbound to customs" on the morning of 23rd. Evening of the 23rd USPS tracking reported the package had "cleared customs at 3:37 PM". I expect the package to arrive at my door, perhaps, tomorrow, 25th.

Now, this set of tracking information - interestingly - did not say the package had "cleared SFO customs" ... or was inbound to "SFO customs". At this time I don't know which customs port this package has come through. What I do know is that customs must just have waved a hand over it and passed it on through.

I am interested to examine the package to see if I can learn which customs port processed it.

Detailed tracking data indicates this watch came through SFO.

Edited by BobM

An EU dealer obviously isn't going to be working nearby the factory so you're going to have better chances of a dealer who will actually replace a seized watch being in China than in EU. The dealers in China obviously sell a tremendous great deal more watches than someone in EU. Your EU guy is just worried about losing his money/merchandise and doesn't want to assist you if that happens. I'd say stick with dealers within your country or dealers in China, don't bother with this guy in EU if he doesn't want to ship then he loses your sale :)

There are some countries in the world (I recall Sweden, but I might be WRONG :bangin: ) where buying a single Replica is not considered a felony, as long as it's for personal use and not advertised as something else.

Granted, if you buy crates of goods to re-sell its a different story.

I am under the impression that some if these packages that arrive in the US are indeed checked BUT, they end up being delivered anyway.

Are we sure there is a law in the US against "a single" replica purchase for collection purposes?

Specific Federal laws maybe?

An EU dealer obviously isn't going to be working nearby the factory so you're going to have better chances of a dealer who will actually replace a seized watch being in China than in EU.

You're mistaking dealers and members. This was a member to member sale.

There are some countries in the world (I recall Sweden, but I might be WRONG :bangin: ) where buying a single Replica is not considered a felony, as long as it's for personal use and not advertised as something else.

Felony?

Did you hear about the guy last year in Texas who was hung by his ankles above a den of rattlesnakes because he got caught with a rep Stetson 30-X Beaver? Ever since that dreaded day, the rep industry has become a mystery in that great, yet extremely vast state ...

[wind whistles] tumbleweed rolls [/wind whistles]

:cc_hang:

I think Pug nailed it ... member-to-member is going to often have different standards than dealer-to-member (especially CN). Regarding Texas, I've had no issues with Customs, but each package has gone through SFO ... then as BobM's experience, it's lightning fast with USPS. DFW is another issue.

I am interested to examine the package to see if I can learn which customs port processed it.

I have yet to see evidence of any package being opened, even Davidsen's packages which frankly, have a tiny wad of bubblewrap, and some tape around the watch itself.

Andrew's packages are wrapped to survive a nuclear explosion. I've never seen anything like that. It takes about 5 minutes of scissor-work just to get it opened.

The point I'm making is that obviously with the ones I've gotten, US Customs haven't tampered with them, TTBOMK. Perhaps, the times being what they are, they merely x-ray them as they pass in a conveyour belt, or similar.

Or they get sniffer dogs to do their work -- since Miami is the number one hub of drug activity from South America.

Mine don't usually come in from SF. They reach JFK. SOMETIMES the tracking says, "Inbound Customs" and it's there a while. But usually it just says "Cleared Customs" within a few minutes of their arrival.

The one exception was my mum's package with Joshua, which lay in Customs for 4 days (!). Then it cleared without so much as a how-do-you-do.

If anyone has ever gotten their package opened by US Customs, please speak up now, or forever hold your timepiece. ;)

Well, I'm in Texas and I've only had one incident occur and I don't think it was customs, but I don't know. I ordered three watches from dealer x and only one showed up in the package. I emailed him about it and he said that he'd shipped all three watches in the same package. Obvoiously someone had helped themselves to two of the watches. But dealer x was very good about it and re-shipped the two watches and I got them a few weeks later. Now days, I order one watch at a time and haven't had any problems. I've ordered since then from dealer x a number of times w/ nary a problem.

River is the only one who wouldn't ship to Texas, so I had it sent to my sister- she's a Yankee, and she sent it to me a few days later.

It looks like most of my rep packages come thru SFSO- San Francisco??