When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rash

Victoria

^ OMG THE SKY IS FALLING :p

If you read the thread you would see shes already taking some meds. :bangin::lol:

Ms. Barrett: I've done similar things when working on hobbies.... I once painted the bed of my Pickup truck with some roll on bedliner without gloves.... My hands had black spots for weeks. LOL..... I suggest getting some Nytrile Gloves, you can get them at walmart, they are disposable great for when using chemicals... :D

Very uncommon for an allergic dermatitis, urticaria-like, to slowly spread along many hours. And chin is an even stranger location.

Personally, I would not take any drugs before a diagnosis is made. 90% chances are that your rush is self-estinguishing. Otherwise (e.g. some mild exanthematic disease), things will become soon clear.

Best wishes, let us know how this goes on.

Just because a patient says it has 'spread' over a course of time, does not necessarily mean it has ;) After all, the chin rash (she admits touching it, clearly contact transmission) was probably just noticed later when she looked in a mirror (and screamed in horror).

I must admit though that such non-localised urticaria (extending up to the upper arms) is a little unusual, but not uncommon. Exanthema is jumping the gun a little considering she has no other systemic symptoms. A friend of mine is a Harley St dermatologist (the 'easy route' specialty to make consultant/attending), and she tells me she remains constantly surprised by variations in individual response to immune challenges. VB already admitted she had childhood allergies anyway, so is more predisposed to turning into a blotchy seething mass of pustulous red welts anyway (don't feel too self-concious now Miss B ;))

VB - If the antihistamines and steroid cream have done their job within 24-36 hours or so, then fine. Neither of those will likely mask any other symptoms in such a small dose. If rash persists or worsens after then or you develop ANY other symptoms, then by all means get checked out asap (hospital not GP - full bloods etc.).

As I said earlier, chemicals and skin just do not mix well sometimes, just because you've not had a problem with Cape Cod on naked hands before means nothing in itself - always possible you have developed an allergic hypersensitization to the product. Oh and the goggle warning using diamond paste? I'm fairly sure that's a physical barrier precaution due to its abrasive properties (i.e. :black_eye:)

In the meantime, if you do venture out, keep all body parts covered from the sun, daub your front door with black paint before you go, and don't forget to wear a bell around your neck :whistling:

cableguy - "DON'T PANIC!!!!" - that's a good one :lol:

Just came from CVS pharmacy. Did you know that Claritin-D is over-the-counter, doesn't require prescription or anything, BUT in the State of Florida at least, they will not dispense you any without a driver's license?

They scanned it and everything!

Wow, I felt like I was buying cocaine. Very dodgy. :p

(Reason, apparently kids open the capsules to make their own little concoctions. The till lady mentioned crystal meth, but that can't be right can it? Brave New World...)

So when you go out to buy coke, the dealers you usually get it off scan your license to check they are selling to the right person? :D

So when you go out to buy coke, the dealers you usually get it off scan your license to check they are selling to the right person? :D
Only the reputable dealers :D

VB - always ask for antihistamines, some 'one-stop' anti-allergy products contain the decongestant pseudoephedrine, which is a constituent of crystal meth. That's why you got carded. Big big problem in the US. Never really taken off here, for some reason - thankfully.

Different countries, different OTC restrictions - look at Vicodin, banned in the EU without Rx. And rightfully so. In fact, try buying anything containing the smallest dose of codeine OTC in parts of Europe. You can't. It's a mild opiate, metabolized into morphine in the body. In the UK, however, limited dosage codeine is still OTC even if these days more BTC (behind the counter). No ID required. If you're lucky some 18-year old assistant will pause from chewing her gum and reading Grazia, to remember her 'training' and ask "you 'ad this before like innit?". A nod, and the transaction is done.

:bangin:

Just because a patient says it has 'spread' over a course of time, does not necessarily mean it has ;) After all, the chin rash (she admits touching it, clearly contact transmission) was probably just noticed later when she looked in a mirror (and screamed in horror).

I must admit though that such non-localised urticaria (extending up to the upper arms) is a little unusual, but not uncommon. Exanthema is jumping the gun a little considering she has no other systemic symptoms.

Very good points. I agree.

Just but about exanthema being like jumping the gun. I think it should go into differential diagnosis even if with a very low probability. Too wide variability in adults' systemic signs, and they can come out after a while.

I too think that most likely V has not an exanthematic disease. Just, as noone mentioned it, I wanted to make sure that that small probability was not going to get completely forgotten.

...But Victoria, how are you?

...But Victoria, how are you?

Guys, thank you for your concern.

It turns out it's a little more complicated than we anticipated. Without going into personal details, it seems it's a reaction to some medication I have been taking this past month. Certainly touching petroleum-based products like Cape Code Cloth, and the added misuse of leather conditioners, and diamond paste in a short span, didn't help -- but it wasn't that, apparently.

Part of me still contends it was, because the problem started on my hands, which became reddish and full of bumps the day after using these products. Being vain, I inspect my body thoroughly every morning and night, as many women do. I didn't notice ANY problems save for my hands, that day. Unfortunately, I'm not in a position to argue with medical doctors, so there we are.

Bottom line is, I am dealing with a problem which will be around for 2-6 weeks.

Those of you who are physicians probably already know what that is, and those who don't, and have made it up to here, are probably just going, "Gee, Vic, hope all is well, but don't bore us any more with all this."

Don't worry. I won't. :)

And thanks for all your help, DBR, Sssurfer! I appreciate all the good wishes and prayers thrown my way. :D

Keep in mind that a rash and a Black&Decker belt sander do not go together well at all. A little calamine often works wonders.

Seriously Vic, one of natures best rash ointments is the papaya. Growing up in Hawaii, I have seen it used to alleviate jellyfish stings, infectious rashes and a host of skin ailments. The most effective part of the papaya is the inside skin. Remove the fruit and gently rub the inside papaya skin on the affected area and relief is immediate. Doctors will not agree as they want your money, but since you are in Florida, papayas should be available anywhere.

Seriously Vic, one of natures best rash ointments is the papaya. Growing up in Hawaii, I have seen it used to alleviate jellyfish stings, infectious rashes and a host of skin ailments. The most effective part of the papaya is the inside skin. Remove the fruit and gently rub the inside papaya skin on the affected area and relief is immediate. Doctors will not agree as they want your money, but since you are in Florida, papayas should be available anywhere.

I have a problem with that -- I hate homeopathic remedies or anything which smells of "nature's own healing". It's a reaction to my mother's German 'Naturkind' ethos. :)

Not that I'm not grateful to you, Hambone! Or to the innumerable people who have kindly PMed me with suggestions, or good wishes.

But though I hate being on prescription drugs (HATE!), the ones the docs prescribed are actually helping me out tremendously. Doxy is really quite good, and though I'm convinced it's urticaria not acne, I'm clearing up daily more and more.

HOWEVER, I will say this. The papaya may come in handy for clearing up any scars left behind, so thanks for that.

In unrelated news, in Cuban slang, papaya is a bad word, and they use Fruta Bomba for it instead. Apparently, it means a woman's pudenda. If you've ever seen one open, you'll understand why. :lol:

(Except I'm not raven-haired...)

I have a problem with that -- I hate homeopathic remedies or anything which smells of "nature's own healing". It's a reaction to my mother's German 'Naturkind' ethos. :)

Not that I'm not grateful to you, Hambone! Or to the innumerable people who have kindly PMed me with suggestions, or good wishes.

But though I hate being on prescription drugs (HATE!), the ones the docs prescribed are actually helping me out tremendously. Doxy is really quite good, and though I'm convinced it's urticaria not acne, I'm clearing up daily more and more.

HOWEVER, I will say this. The papaya may come in handy for clearing up any scars left behind, so thanks for that.

In unrelated news, in Cuban slang, papaya is a bad word, and they use Fruta Bomba for it instead. Apparently, it means a woman's pudenda. If you've ever seen one open, you'll understand why. :lol:

(Except I'm not raven-haired...)

OK then have a few bananas with those papayas.. :lol:

Vbarrett -- Sounds more like an allergic reaction to penicillin.

I am in fact allergic to penicillin (well, to the variety which was around when I was a kid. We're in the fifth generation of its incarnations, IIRC).

Stay away from the moldy stuff and you'll be photogenically wristing with the best of them in no time.

Now how did penicillin get inside me? Don't answer that! I sense a naughty reply involving members' "syringes". ;)

(Thanks Freddy333! I'm getting better every day)

it's the enzyme in the papaya .. found in meat tenderizer.. hambone remember when you got man-o-war or jelly fish stings the life guards alway's had meat tenderizer in their bags ??.. came in handy for the barbecues after surf too..

it's the enzyme in the papaya .. found in meat tenderizer.. hambone remember when you got man-o-war or jelly fish stings the life guards alway's had meat tenderizer in their bags ??.. came in handy for the barbecues after surf too..

I remember well, actually when you get man o war sting, go make shi shi on da rash and make mo bettah. B)

Yes. Well known remedy It's fine in an emergency when it's on your foot or something.

But my face? No way. I have to draw the line somewhere.

Whoa cuz....da buggah no like golden showah.. :o