When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rep Dealer Busted In Taiwan

8o8

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

and now dare to tell me again, dealers do this business out of "generosity" and with small profit margins and all the other crap some guys have told me!

300k in 4 years, i bet those guys lived like millionears over in taiwan!

I'm not sure you are seeing both sides of this; I cannot identify with this sentiment at all.

What do you pay for a fake Rolex? Plenty of really nice ones for $200+ and some of the very best $300+, how much profit could there be?

For that money, these people risk expensive litigation at best, and jail at worst.

Tell you what, put this in perspective, look in your phone book and call three lawyers advertising criminal defense. Tell them you got busted with 500 fake watches and you don't want to spend the next few years in jail -- see what kind of out of pockt retainer they want.

Take that figure, divide it by what you think their profit margin ought to be, and see how many watches they would have to sell just to cover that potientiality. An indictment here, generally means $100K non-refundable retainer at a minimum.

If you think you've found the key to the mint, set yourself up as a dealer and see. I think you'd find it to be a cut throat business with demanding clients and narrow profit margins.

Just my .02

Bill

the profit of our dealers are definitely major than we think....

but we don't complain...as much as they sell us reps at this fair prices that they are selling to us...

well...business with counterfait is always been one of the most profitable business....but when you got caught...well that is another story!

actually, doesnt look like it was a big operation. when you do the math, its not very much. lets say $300 average for each watch. That's only a 1000 watches in 4 years. That's less than a watch a day for 4 years. I'm sure the $300,000 was a rough estimate, im sure its more.

That's not usually the way it works with government press releases. For example, when you sieze 5 Kilos of coke, and tell the press what it's worth, do you think they use the wholesale value of 5 Ki's, or street price for 5000 grams?

Bill

I'm not sure you are seeing both sides of this; I cannot identify with this sentiment at all.

What do you pay for a fake Rolex? Plenty of really nice ones for $200+ and some of the very best $300+, how much profit could there be?

For that money, these people risk expensive litigation at best, and jail at worst.

Tell you what, put this in perspective, look in your phone book and call three lawyers advertising criminal defense. Tell them you got busted with 500 fake watches and you don't want to spend the next few years in jail -- see what kind of out of pockt retainer they want.

Take that figure, divide it by what you think their profit margin ought to be, and see how many watches they would have to sell just to cover that potientiality. An indictment here, generally means $100K non-refundable retainer at a minimum.

If you think you've found the key to the mint, set yourself up as a dealer and see. I think you'd find it to be a cut throat business with demanding clients and narrow profit margins.

Just my .02

Bill

As a matter of fact, all watches I bought, I payed for with the money I gained from rep selling. Even though I didnt get my stuff from the factory in China but from our dealers. And I only marked them up about 50bucks!

Otherwise I wouldnt be able to afford any watches for 200$, because I have to pay the debts, since I investet over 300k in a Bar!

How do you think someone from China or Taiwan can afford various genuine watches?

You know what those Rolexes cost straight from the factory? Expect 25$-35$! The ones with asian movements can be bought for less than 10bucks on the STREETS! That means you will still get them cheaper from the factory.

200$ for a Rolex might not be bad, but you probably dont think about is, 200$ is a months income for a lot of families in Asia!

Believe me, SOMEONE in the line marks them watches up BIGTIME! I'm not saying its the dealers, maybe they have middle men too. But even mentioning the thought that the replica business is not all about making big bucks is ridicolous!

I'm pretty sure Sichuan ernst more money with selling reps over here than he could otherwise! And the risk of getting caught in those countries is minimum, if you compare it to western countries.

PT and Homer do a risky business, because its SO easy for feds to track them down&stuff. But I doubt anyone in China/Taiwan cares about someone who sells stuff on the net. And IF they do every once in a while, they do it for the media. Maybe someone refused to pay the bribe? Or maybe competition bribed the cops to arrest them?

Each person gets $15K USD / year. That's average salary in Taiwan.

I'm pretty sure it was 300k per person, because I doubt they only sold 1 watch per day over 4 years!

Edited by slay

You know what those Rolexes cost straight from the factory? Expect 25$-35$! The ones with asian movements can be bought for less than 10bucks on the STREETS! That means you will still get them cheaper from the factory.

200$ for a Rolex might not be bad, but you probably dont think about is, 200$ is a months income for a lot of families in Asia!

Believe me, SOMEONE in the line marks them watches up BIGTIME! I'm not saying its the dealers, maybe they have middle men too. But even mentioning the thought that the replica business is not all about making big bucks is ridicolous!

The logic doesn't work for me.

First of all, these people don't pull raw materials out of their ears.

What does a real ETA movement cost?

What does a real sapphire crystal cost?

Whot does a real 316 stainless case cost?

What does a real stainless bracelet cost?

Even buying in Guangzhou Watchworks quantities, these things are not nickles and dimes. The watch has to cost more than $100 to make . . . and the manufacturer doesn't sell it to our dealers at their cost.

If, as you believe, people are out there buying these best current quality Rolex Subs for $25, why isn't some hungry Chinaman out there selling them for $100. Can you show me where anyone, anywhere, sells the same quality watch with these same components for $100?

If it could be done, someone would be doing it.

The bottom line is, I don't care what they are making. Suppose Joshua's favorite uncle owns Guangzhou Watchworks and outright gives him 100 watches a month - does that make his price on a real nice watch any less of a deal to me?

It's all a question of philosophy I suppose, but I make a good living, and I begrudge no man a good living who is offering me as a good a product or service as I can find elsewhere at the same money.

Bill

The logic doesn't work for me.

First of all, these people don't pull raw materials out of their ears.

What does a real ETA movement cost?

What does a real sapphire crystal cost?

Whot does a real 316 stainless case cost?

What does a real stainless bracelet cost?

Even buying in Guangzhou Watchworks quantities, these things are not nickles and dimes. The watch has to cost more than $100 to make . . . and the manufacturer doesn't sell it to our dealers at their cost.

If, as you believe, people are out there buying these best current quality Rolex Subs for $25, why isn't some hungry Chinaman out there selling them for $100. Can you show me where anyone, anywhere, sells the same quality watch with these same components for $100?

If it could be done, someone would be doing it.

The bottom line is, I don't care what they are making. Suppose Joshua's favorite uncle owns Guangzhou Watchworks and outright gives him 100 watches a month - does that make his price on a real nice watch any less of a deal to me?

It's all a question of philosophy I suppose, but I make a good living, and I begrudge no man a good living who is offering me as a good a product or service as I can find elsewhere at the same money.

Bill

First of all, Sichuan is selling ETA rolex for exactly 100$, so your calculation is already overtruned. Second of all, those ETA replicas are being sold to WESTERN tourists for close to 50$ in China if you are a good negotiator. Furthermore you have to keep in mind, that the movements which are being used by rep manufactors are also produced in China and they buy them in large quantities for a very low price.

Genuine Miyots cost about 5$ at cousins. What do you expect a ETA mafucatured in China costs them repmanufactors when bought in large quanitities?

If it would cost the factory 100$ to produce a ETA rolex, you would have to pay something around 500$ for it from your dealer of choice. I believe PAM's are a bit more expensive for them (as those are not being produced in the same quantities as rolexes are) and the movements in those watches are only used in those watches. But still I dont believe the costs for a PAM with swan neck is more than 100$, I believe its somewhere around 70$ or less, because those are being sold to tourists for 120-150$!

"Even buying in Guangzhou Watchworks quantities, these things are not nickles and dimes. The watch has to cost more than $100 to make . . . and the manufacturer doesn't sell it to our dealers at their cost."

Not sure about that. It's almost obscene how inexpensively things can be made in CN. STudio microphones that are clones of German mics costing several thousand make their way to the US at prices lower than $30 a piece...and that includes built in profit, import fees, taxes...and whatever else.

You'd think that just the brass body and grille, which is then nickel plated, would cost more than that...never mind the capsule, preamp circuit, assembly, etc. ...not to mention the aluminum flight case and free mic cable.

I'd imagine, aside from the ETA movement, the parts these things are made of are pretty darn cheap. I would also bet they are getting the movements for less than $40 or $50 (and even that may be a high estimate).

Exactly, i really don`t care if a watch only costs $30 and is sold to me for $200. I`m happy to pay it and so are many others. We are not the ones who are facing possible jail time.

But i also agree with Slay that it is not out off generousity that dealers do business.

Considering ofrei sells the 7753 at around $4-500, there are obvious dealer markups everywhere.

Buying in bulk probably reduces overheads.

I've also heard standard (read R*l*x etc) ETA movements are not necessarily genuine ETA movements but Asian copy ETA which are very close. In which case it would be even cheaper to make.

you guys do realise that its all of us rep buyers looking for quality reps that determine the prices right? doesnt matter how much it cost out of the factory from china. as long as there are people wanting to buy a eta good quality rep for $200+ dealer will find you. they are all here for business. if we all demanded $30 reps and they are going to make a smaller profit on it they may eventually say that its no longer worth it for them.

well back to topic :D glad to know our dealers are alright