When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

looking to purchase 1st Panerai rep

stagfan

I am confused as to what I will purchase. Hope you guys can help me with this dilemma.

Thanks for any information.

You can do nicely by choosing one of the Radiomir models.This piece is one of the simplest but very elegant designs.

If you like the styling, you will be impressed by the functionality and the ease of wearing one.

Which is the best PAM rep out there, it is a subjective thing.

The most accurate ones are usually the simplest ones, with no date and even no seconds.

Still, you might like something more complete and get a different model with some minor flaws that you can get corrected by having the watch modified by professionals here.

It also depends on what size you want -- 40, 44 or 47mm.

My best suggestion is: take your time to read here and do some research. You will end up with a much better understanding about the several issues involved and you will take the best out of your money.

I'd advise you to start immediately like a hrdcore panerai collector...go in the sales section and buy the modded 029 that it's for sale...you won't regret...it is like buying a gen pam for 1/7 of the price...this one is very rare, and if you don't get it right now...one day you'll regret...

Edited by dadog13

Have you guys seen the new 111 posted by Angus on TRC. Like the 036 with the decent crown and CP fix. That might be the noobmariner of PAMs. Of course, I'm partial to the sausage dials, and this one is not $99.

Here: http://www.replicacollector.com/members/in...showtopic=31913

Cheers.

I am confused as to what I will purchase. Hope you guys can help me with this dilemma.

I would love to here the answer to this one as well. When I first got here over a year ago a was not a fan of the PAMs at all. Know I really like the looks of them... but the sheer number of models is overwhelming.... any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Im really getting confused...

I would love to here the answer to this one as well. When I first got here over a year ago a was not a fan of the PAMs at all. Know I really like the looks of them... but the sheer number of models is overwhelming.... any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

"best" questions are always difficult to answer because it always depends on what you are looking for. For me - the best rep is always the one with the most accurate dial - assumeing the other stuff can be fixed to be closer to the genuine.

Using that criteria - the best PAM's are:

1. The PAM 089 - this has the best "PANERAI" on the dial IMHO, and you can now get one without the missing tick mark at 9. However, this watch still has the wrong GMT hand.

2. The PAM 092 Ultimate Arktos. This is also very accurate.

But many will argue that the DSN's or the vintages are more correct. It all depends on what you are looking for.

There are so many that are good. The first one I bought was the updated 092 Arktos with the SS band. Now I'm feeling the historics with brown vintage straps. There are a lot of different looks with Panerai. You should do picture comparisons of the gen and rep of the model you like, then search the site for threads on it.

Edited by alanytical

Im really getting confused...

As you should be...you really need to spend a lot of time reading on the forum to find "the best rep"....the best rep anything is very subjective...as you can see from all of the responses given to you.

What I consider the best panny rep might not be what another member considers the best panny rep...

Find the model you are interested and do the research to see what other members have already said. Trust me, the information is out there...

B)

There is no "perfect" REP. Not on a Panerai especially. And GEN parts are next to impossible to find so you're stuck with REP World parts.

I suggest that you go to panerai.com or paneristi.com and decide which model/models that you like.

Some of the REPs are very accurate and can fool even the highly seasoned paneristi.

Check out this recent attempt to sell a REP as a GEN. How do I know that it's not real?? Well.....first of all, I have the same caseback. The lume is the wrong color, the cannon pin is recessed, and the crown guard is polished. But it still looks nice, right???

hxxp://www.network54.com/Forum/353390/thread/1191091313/last-1191108921/FS-++PAM+1B++%28for+Panerai+collectors%29

Just change the xx to tt.

There is no "perfect" REP. Not on a Panerai especially. And GEN parts are next to impossible to find so you're stuck with REP World parts.

I suggest that you go to panerai.com or paneristi.com and decide which model/models that you like.

Some of the REPs are very accurate and can fool even the highly seasoned paneristi.

Check out this recent attempt to sell a REP as a GEN. How do I know that it's not real?? Well.....first of all, I have the same caseback. The lume is the wrong color, the cannon pin is recessed, and the crown guard is polished. But it still looks nice, right???

hxxp://www.network54.com/Forum/353390/thread/1191091313/last-1191108921/FS-++PAM+1B++%28for+Panerai+collectors%29

Just change the xx to tt.

Could someone please comment on the accuracy of the follwong watches... I really like them, but am no PAM expert. I can't for the life of me figure out why such a big price diff when they all seem to have the same movement...

http://www.pc-80108.com/pn11107-swiss-unit...tor-p-2408.html

http://www.pc-80108.com/pn17602-titanium-s...neck-p-864.html

http://www.pc-80108.com/pn17201-tantalium-...497-p-2035.html

Differences in price between those three models are probably due to the fact that the second model is Titanium (price up), and the third model is the least accurate of all (price down).

The third is the least accurate because its movement should look like that of the other two, and because the case is Titanium where it should be brushed Tantalum, and SS where it should be polished Tantalum. I.e., no Tantalum at all.

The movement in the first two models is quite accurate. Its main flaw is in the shape of the swan neck regulator: it is "needle" shaped while it should be "dagger" shaped. This is an ubiquitary flaw of "Swiss ETA" movements, as ETA did never make dagger swan necks. You will find dagger swan necks only on Asian movements.

The inaccurate "A"s are because of their horizontal dash, that is placed lower than it should be. So that the triangular room at the top of the "A" looks larger (higher) than it should.

Differences in price between those three models are probably due to the fact that the second model is Titanium (price up), and the third model is the least accurate of all (price down).

The third is the least accurate because its movement should look like that of the other two, and because the case is Titanium where it should be brushed Tantalum, and SS where it should be polished Tantalum. I.e., no Tantalum at all.

The movement in the first two models is quite accurate. Its main flaw is in the shape of the swan neck regulator: it is "needle" shaped while it should be "dagger" shaped. This is an ubiquitary flaw of "Swiss ETA" movements, as ETA did never make dagger swan necks. You will find dagger swan necks only on Asian movements.

The inaccurate "A"s are because of their horizontal dash, that is placed lower than it should be. So that the triangular room at the top of the "A" looks larger (higher) than it should.

Dag I love this place. I have become pretty good at spotting flaws in other brands like Rlx and Omg when ot comes to crown guards, pearls, bezel inserts, rehut depth, etc... but there are soooo many PAM models that (at least to a PAM noob) look the same. Would a Davidson or TWP have one with these issues corrected, or are they across the board?

Dag I love this place.

I bet you do. We all do. ;) Stay assured it's the best place around for replica lovers.

... but there are soooo many PAM models that (at least to a PAM noob) look the same.

Yes, the PAMs with their hundreds models, and many models different according to their different releases across different years, they are really a thing for nuts.

And if you are going to get infected by the PAM virus, then you may bet that in a while you will get nuts too. :lol:

Would a Davidson or TWP have one with these issues corrected, or are they across the board?

Yes, DSN and TWP models, or already-fixed-ones from former owners, make for your best chance to get a good out-of-the-box rep.

If you specify what DSN or TWP model(s) you are heading to, I might give you my personal opinion.

Unfortunately, the incorrect "A" appears to be universal (it is a very tiny flaw, though).

Thank you so much guys for all the information you sent. Based on what I have read in this forum, these are the most accurate PAMs today:

1. 111 E

2. 111 H

3. 127 "fiddy"

Correct me if Im wrong. But I am leaning on purchasing any of those models. I hope you can help me decide as well.

Thank you so much guys for all the information you sent. Based on what I have read in this forum, these are the most accurate PAMs today:

1. 111 E

2. 111 H

3. 127 "fiddy"

Correct me if Im wrong. But I am leaning on purchasing any of those models. I hope you can help me decide as well.

Which is your wrist size?

I bet you do. We all do. ;) Stay assured it's the best place around for replica lovers.

Yes, the PAMs with their hundreds models, and many models different according to their different releases across different years, they are really a thing for nuts.

And if you are going to get infected by the PAM virus, then you may bet that in a while you will get nuts too. :lol:

Yes, DSN and TWP models, or already-fixed-ones from former owners, make for your best chance to get a good out-of-the-box rep.

If you specify what DSN or TWP model(s) you are heading to, I might give you my personal opinion.

Unfortunately, the incorrect "A" appears to be universal (it is a very tiny flaw, though).

I am leaning towards a 111 or 127. I have a smaller wrist so I was thinking of 44mm ones. I would love you opinion!

I am leaning towards a 111 or 127. I have a smaller wrist so I was thinking of 44mm ones. I would love you opinion!

The 127 is 47mm.

On a smaller wrist I would recommend a 111H (44mm) or a 050 (40mm auto w/ date too).

What you ultimately make as your purchase decision should be no one else's but your own. Not to sound negative, but please don't expect your fellow bretheren to hold your hand through the buying process and lead you to the rep that closely resembles the gen. At the end of the day, a rep is a rep and if you are looking for perfection, then you are in the wrong forum.

Most of the seasoned members here make their buying decisions based on what watch speaks to them; not what they seem to think is the most accurate, or what others tell them to buy. With that being said, you kinda remind me of those n00bs who ask which dealer(s) has the best sub.