When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Some commonly pronounced mistakes

anton

I'm sorry, but pronouncing ETA as a word is like pronouncing IWC eye-wik. E-T-A for me. :lol:

Even though I speak German, I say Eye-Double U-See for IWC. And yes, EE-TEE-AY. There's a limit to my pedantry. :)

However, I do pronounce Patek Philippe, Jaeger le Coultre, Herm

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.chronometrie.com/watchsounds/watchsoundspage.htm is a great link, but be advised that the "officine panerai" pronounce is incorrect. What is told there is what they in Italy would write "officine panArai".

ROTFLMAO!!!

Considering one of those was for my mum, I suspect, thanks for the Hoo-lops!!

Bvlgari. :lol: :lol:

When I read this, through our tears of laughter, my mother figured it out. She's a really un-PC lady who frequently calls our local Chinese restaurant to place a take-out order:

"2 rarge Flied lice wi' chrim, plea"

And by God if they don't have 2 large fried rice with shrimp waiting for her to pick up. :lol:

EDIT: Read this back to her, and she said I forgot the 'rarge'.

(Spare me if this shocks anyone. You think no one has ever made fun of her German accent. Lighten up people!)

Wow. There's a difference between being 'un-PC' and just blatantly racist. Sorry, but I don't think racism is anything people should ever 'lighten up' over. :(

• 6 months later...
Another fantastic thread, Anton! I think I've seen one or two like it here, but it's always good to refresh our pronunciations. :)

Here is my beloved Sssurfer's pronunciation guide to Panerai-related words (mp3):

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=1729

From Gemnation -- using English phonetics:

EXAMPLE - Yankee: Yang-KEY.

IWC: EYE-DOUBLE-YOU-SEE

Ok, this is an old thread, found it searching montblanc, but I loved this part. Sorry for cutting your quote Vic, but I laughed when I saw this one in bold.

So I guess eww-k is wrong?

"Rolex?"

"Oh-MEE-guh..."

This has turned into a lengthy debate on other forums, I believe one even conducted a poll. About a third said it 'mee' and two thirds 'may'. I have heard swiss watch makers and ADs (stateside and in europe) say it with 'mee', but its rare to hear it.

For the millions Omega must pay in Bond films, you'd figure they'd insist on an exacting standard for product placement. But then again even some of Omega's product videos will have more of a 'may' sound to them.

I also think the swiss butcher words worse than brits...so it could be a bastardized swiss offshoot.

This is one instance where both are probably right.

First: I've just found that thread a minute ago and I'm quite amused about the fact, that people from overseas care for the correct pronunciation - which I think is a nice gesture of respect, as you could say. And since I'm from Germany and most of the sported brands are from Switzerland, it's easy for me to pronounce them right, as a native speaker. The most "corrections" were right, so far.

But then I saw the OMEGA-discussion and I'm glad to help you out. :D

Here's a comment, referring to the "problem":

This has turned into a lengthy debate on other forums, I believe one even conducted a poll. About a third said it 'mee' and two thirds 'may'. I have heard swiss watch makers and ADs (stateside and in europe) say it with 'mee', but its rare to hear it.

For the millions Omega must pay in Bond films, you'd figure they'd insist on an exacting standard for product placement. But then again even some of Omega's product videos will have more of a 'may' sound to them.

I also think the swiss butcher words worse than brits...so it could be a bastardized swiss offshoot.

This is one instance where both are probably right.

First thing is: Mr. James Bond DID mispronounced the brand! It's not "Oh-Meeeeeeee-gah". I was laughing as I was watching the movie.

You speak out the vowels as short as possible. Just like that: "Oh-Meh-ga" - you can even forget the h after ga - you don't "stretch" the me and ga out. And don't try the US-style "eeeeeee" on the me part. :D Won't work with a swiss watch smith. ;]

BTW:

I am watching a lot of US-television, etc. and I saw some hilarious action a few years ago on some celebrity talk show - I've even forget about the name of the show, I guess it was something like a pre-Oscar special or something. Anyway, there was an interview with Gwyneth Paltrow and the interviewer asked her about her shopping habits. She told him, that she likes to buy expensive Italian clothes - the interviewer again, asked her about her favorite brands and she said, as it's the most common thing in the world "Ghukki" (as you would say Cookie, just with the G) and "Channnnnelll" (outspoken as the TV-channel) - I was literally laughing my ass off.

She obviously meant Gucci and Chanel, but managed it to mispronounce her favorite brands in the most professional way. :D

####

And another one:

Ok, this is an old thread, found it searching montblanc, but I loved this part. Sorry for cutting your quote Vic, but I laughed when I saw this one in bold.

So I guess eww-k is wrong?

Actually the thing is funny, but still wrong. :D

The English pronunciation is obviously clear, but to say it right all the way, you have to spell the three letters in good old Swiss/German. ;)

Then it would be "Eeeh-Vehhhh-Tzehhhh".

Edited by #ars

I think the Mee/May issue will continue to run and run. I suspect that the classic pronunciation was 'may'/'meh', and, there is a difference between being right and being wrong. Personally, I just really liked the exchange between Bond and Vesper, and the smug tone in Bond's voice (at putting such a bossy woman in her place) really makes the scene. All this talk has caused a flareup of my PlanetOceanitis... Just when I thought it was firmly undercontrol, with my PAMophelia, it rears its head :lol:

So now that we've indirectly criticized a continent/nation, well-known woman and respected member of this board...I am curious to hear follow up on southcoast's and kruzer's posts...thanks.

That is how I honestly pronounce those terms, and I too am curious if I am accurate or not. BTW - as far as I am concerned, there is only one way to pronounce OMEGA and that is "O-MAY-GA".

Well, I constantly encounter conversation with some so-called watch "experts", and here is a composite of some errors I've come across...coming from the most novice of aficionados to expert salespeople to appraisers!

Brand...................Error.....................Correct Pronounciation

TAG Heuer............TAG Hew-er..............TAG Hoy-er

Panerai.................Pan-er-ray................Pan-er-eye

ETA......................E-T-A........................Etta

Breitling................Brayt-ling/Brit-ling.....Bright-ling

Patek Philippe.......Pah-teek Philippe........Pah-tech Philippe

Montblanc.............Mont-blank..................Mon-blah-nk

Hublot..................Hugh-Blot...................Hugh-Bloh

Whenever I'm at the AD, I laugh to myself when "trained" salespeople say the names of brands like this. But I always refrain myself from correcting them. One time I did, they treated me hostile!

And please, throw in your experienced error!

The only one I am not sure of is ETA....if you go to the ETA website they advertise the name as an acronym....

Elegance

Technology

Accuracy

Although I have heard it pronounced Etta....I am not sure which is correct....

ETA homepage

Edited by Nightstroker

I think the Mee/May issue will continue to run and run. I suspect that the classic pronunciation was 'may'/'meh', and, there is a difference between being right and being wrong. Personally, I just really liked the exchange between Bond and Vesper, and the smug tone in Bond's voice (at putting such a bossy woman in her place) really makes the scene. All this talk has caused a flareup of my PlanetOceanitis... Just when I thought it was firmly undercontrol, with my PAMophelia, it rears its head :lol:

Well, I guess you're right. :)

In fact, it's a free world (at least the most places are), so Daniel Craig could be running around all day saying "Oh-Meeeeee-Gah". :D No Problem with that.

Actually I like that dialog the most, too. I think it stays in every viewers mind. Who ever wrote that passage, knew what he was doing. ;)

Hi... well most names have either a German or French pronunciation. I honestly don't care if people miss pronounce a brand.

One thing, your guide has an error.

For example Montblanc - the c at the end is never pronounced, its silent... so you should leave out your "k" at the end. Haven't looked through the rest of the thread I might later...

I like my mom's pronunciation, even though it is all wrong, it is funny to hear her say it, and I have to correct her. Apparently, a lot of Taiwanese people are all pronuncing them this way.

Correct way My mom

Gucci Koo-Ji

Skype Skai-Pee

Ikea Ee-Kia

I think I just may return to Taiwan and teach common English pronunciation as a job.

That is how I honestly pronounce those terms, and I too am curious if I am accurate or not. BTW - as far as I am concerned, there is only one way to pronounce OMEGA and that is "O-MAY-GA".

No worries southcoast, was referring to another post... I am generally interested in hearing what others' takes are on those terms you mentioned, but I think you're on the money.