When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

At Last, A Good DSN 111H Arrived...It's the 3rd Replacement..

rckh

Dear All:

Recently; I received PMs from several members asking about the quality of DSN Ultimate 111H. Sorry I can't recommend u until I get a good one.

I'm not here to repeat the 1st one story; check this post on 2nd page your will found it.

Ist one

The 2nd replacemet arrived last friday; this time no more major srcatches but the annoying "Turning back crown" still there + one of the screw got slip after install the strap only 1 times. I contact DSN & he replied me that "Turning back crown" is normal. But I owned DSN 113 white dial; It didn't came with the problem. It will be fully winded around 70~80round. As 111H' crown keep turning back when I wind; I need 100~110 round to fully winded it. After I wind around 30~40; I felt tension came from crown & it started to turning back. More round I going to wind; the turning back problem get more serious. I'm very disappoint & made my decision to refund; but DSN standup & give me the 3rd replacement. He told me this replacement assemble by a new case & let me keep the 2nd one for comparison.

I recieved the 3rd one yesterday & did the comparsion. The case size are exactly the same but I found 2 differents:

~ New design Palp-Crown had been used on 1st & 2nd; 3rd used the same crown with my 113 & got no turning-back problem.

CG lever locked position:

CGCompLockPosition.jpg

CG lever release & crown at winding position:

CGCompWindingPosition.jpg

CG Lever release & crown at adjustment position:

CGCompAdjustmentposition.jpg

From the above photos; you will found not difficult they're totally different. No doubt; The palp crown is much better look & closed to Gen. Beside the turning back problem; I also found the CG+lever set are same size. It's very difficult to open or lock as the crown got thicken. When I going to open or lock the lever; the crown seems band slightly before the lever lock back completely.From the side view I notice that the lever is not lock the crown at the center. I'm not sure whether the lever will band or damage the stem someday...

Can U see their different? Compare the position on CG lever u will know...

CGComp2.jpg

~ the 1st & 2nd screw (Thread-part) much shorten than (1st & 2nd only got half length of the thread part compare with 3rd)

~ the 1st & 2nd screw (Thread-part) much Thicken than the 3rd & they're not inter-changeable

U should notice the thread-part how short they're...So understand why they're so easy to slipped

Screw.jpg

Up coming is the 3rd replacement (Good one) pictorial review:

~ Still remember many members complain about the dial fonts are much bigger & thicker than GEN; in the latest Ultimate 111H it really got upgraded; but the font espeically "12" & 1 or 2 indice are off or "mis-sharped"

FrontShot.jpg

Notice that "2" is a little bit lower than the "1" on 12? the indice at 2 is "tapped" upward

DialMag.jpg

~ 2nd upgraded of dial is more cutted deep to provide u a Sandwich feel; so it's good "Sandwich Dial" rather than "Sandwich Die"..

SandwichDial.jpg

~ Movement engravement also upgraded; I found the Blue "Offincine Panerai" is much smaller than my 113 & the size should be same as GEN but it still "Outlined" a little bit...

~ The Incabloc shock protection part are also different; check it out

movement.jpg

~ CG, Crown, Level; Old version good as usual

Crown.jpg

CG3.jpg

CG2.jpg

CG1.jpg

~ Shot at different angles

111HSideShot.jpg

111HSideShot2.jpg

111HSideShot3.jpg

~ Ridculous Superlume

LumeShot.jpg

LumeShot2.jpg

~ Finally wristshots

WristShot2.jpg

WristShot1.jpg

WristShot3.jpg

Side story & special thx:

First I'm here to thank DSN; although this deal not so smooth & very rough. He really do his best to provide his service to me especially the 3rd one. Actually; I already give it up & want to get my refund. But my lovely wife who work with DSN behind me & finally got a good 111H for me. So, my second thx given to my lovely wife. This 111H is my 1st marriage annivesary gift. Some of u may knew she not like/support this hobby for me. I love U, Chirstine.

New carrying case for my PAM:

~ USD$20.- only, Good quality!

Carrycase3.jpg

Carrycase2.jpg

Carrycase.jpg

This is longest review I have even wrote before; I'm not an expert but i try my best to share the information I got.

Please kindly correct me if any information are wrong. Hope u will like thank for your time!

Best Regards,

Raymond

If you like it, that's all that counts. I personally think there too many flaws for a modded 111h at that price. Good that DSN made good with you.

I have to agree with this statement. It appears to be a fine watch and all, but at the price that two in the twelve would haunt me every time I looked at the watch.

I have to agree with this statement. It appears to be a fine watch and all, but at the price that two in the twelve would haunt me every time I looked at the watch.

The crown bothers me and the buckle looks like Canal Street stuff.

I don't get DSN watches. You buy a "custom" made watch and it has more flaws than a standard rep.

~ The Incabloc shock protection part are also different; check it out

Thanks rckh for very detailed review. It is really helpful for someone like me who is looking for the right place to buy 111H. For you Incabloc, I think it looks different because the movement of your watch in the photo is real swiss 6497 movement (not real panerai movement of course).

post-8616-1192122571_thumb.jpg post-8616-1192122559_thumb.jpg

I borrow this photo from Vaccum, modder from another forum. The left movement is swiss, and the right one is the asian copied 6497. They said, however, the shock in asian one is more accurate to gen than swiss. More detail of comparison between these two movements can be found here LINK

Back to your watch, I think it is a very nice watch, and as you say Davidsen provides very good customer service for this situation. IMHO, i will not yet jump for davidsen... will see what other dealers has to offer with this price.

Thanks again man... Best review for davidsen's 111H, i believe.

Edited by godzilla

Amen!

I mean look at the numbers on that thing. Looks like they were cut out by hand by a 3rd grader.

They are too close to the edges and a little too large.

DSN is the biggest mystery in all repland!!

The crown bothers me and the buckle looks like Canal Street stuff.

I don't get DSN watches. You buy a "custom" made watch and it has more flaws than a standard rep.

If you like it, that's all that counts. I personally think there too many flaws for a modded 111h at that price. Good that DSN made good with you.

While I agree it's aggrivating that the dials have gone downhill and there have apparently been QC issues lately...The canon pin fix, superlume, and thick crown are $300 worth of mods for most of us that can't do the work ourselves...so unless there's a good 111h out there for $100 as a starting point I really don't see anything else being a "better" buy all around.

However if you want to spend $600+ you CAN put together a more accurate 111 than what comes from DSN.

I don't get it. Not even a little bit. I thought DSN Pams were "custom" doesn't that imply he at least looks and perhaps touches the watches in question? If so, why are so many people finding it necessary to keep sending watches back. You aren't the first person I've read about that needed THREE watches to get a decent one. If he isn't looking at the watches then explain how it's a "custom" please.

And then there's the dial. It's terrible. We can nit-pick slight variations in font and the width of printing on the dial, but those numbers look as though they were cut out with tin-snips. Maybe you can toss a regular rep dial on that, it'd be a vast improvement. You'd think DSN would just buy standard rep dials and superlume them, his... I don't know the right word, perhaps "a-game" watches would be great then.

Needless to say I won't be chomping at the bit for a DSN in the foreseeable future. He clearly knows what people expect out of his custom watches, but either doesn't care, or assumes most people are too stupid to realize he's sent a dud.

And as to the $600 plus for a better rep... based on the pics I've seen, the modded ones TWP has look to be head and shoulders above that DSN. And they're only $500.

Who pays for the EMS every time a DSN isn't right? If the customer has to... that watch just jumped in price by $90, not to mention the WU fees from the get go.

I need another beer.

Wow, the blue movement engraving looks great.

I remember Tourby, who is a well-know modder and knows his stuff to say the least, was terribly impressed by the blue-screws, and the general DSN engraving on a certain person's watch (in the Sale Section).

I think that's David's strongsuit, despite the PanerAI being half-way obscured.

As my eyes become more trained, thanks to the heads-up of faults by those in forums (Babola had a magnificent review of his own DSN 111 in another forum), I too can now spot the flaws.

The numbers, especially the 2, cringe. Chad is right. 3-grade art class.

And WHAT IS UP WITH THAT LEVER DIMPLE on the CG?? Why can't DSN make a flush pin? :(

You know, I asked him for a replacement for my DSN 112, which is otherwise flawless. He VERY KINDLY sent me a replacement, which was exactly the same! For his Fiddy, it's dead on, so not sure what's happening there.

On the one-hand, this is a lovely watch. You can feel its presence, Raymond. I would be proud to own it. :)

I am in love with Christine for what she did for you, working with Davidsen to get you that 3rd and final 111. As I said, that's a wife!! -- especially since she's not supportive of your hobby.

But 3 attempts to get a watch right? What's up with that?

Maybe he needs to step back and get himself a better staff. You can't put ALL the blame on the guy. He does have to improve this, or else his reputation will suffer drastically.

Raymond, bottom line, congrats! What a review. :)

Who pays for the EMS every time a DSN isn't right? If the customer has to... that watch just jumped in price by $90, not to mention the WU fees from the get go.

Just to clarify, Raymond lives in Hong Kong, so perhaps he has to use EMS. I myself used USPS, and paid $20.25 including recorded delivery. David gave me some stuff to make up for that (little things, but it makes you feel better).

As for WU fees, that's a shame, but since some idiot made PayPal close down his account because he complained about a rep, I hardly think that's Davidsen's fault.