When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My MBW 1665 DRSD back from Joe

dieselpower

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

TT, your MBW 1680 very much resembles the watch that's on my wrist as I type. :D

It is a terrific piece of workmanship and with all of its OEM parts installed, it was less than RBJ's tab. I could not begin imagine what the cost would be for a RBJ "works package" loaded with new rlx factory parts.

Thankfully, we have very talented friends that enjoy this hobby as much as we do and aren't interested in taking advantage of our trust.

Nanuq, awesome to see that "Red" meets with your approval! That's not something one sees everyday, specially when the subject at hand is a sports vintage rollie. :lol:

i strongly suggest everyone to try modding a watch himself ....

start with changing the insert - piece of cake ...

CGs very easy ... not much can go wrong on this vintage pieces - they pretend to be 30 years old ;)

and its fun !

Frank

Guys, I still consider myself as a noob (and probably will forever), but seriously, I knew about Joe as I read lots of stupid things (Dust Blow = 65$...).

I also read a lot of other bad stories about some "super modders".

So I stayed away from them.

@Diesel: I am so sorry of what happens to you ! Sincerely.

@ Double T: splendid 1680 indeed.

@All: I bought my 1680 Red MBW from Edge (a respected member here, and a very nice person).

I paid 750$ watch included.

The details of what Edge did to that watch can be found in the thread in my sig.

But believe me it's full of true gen parts.

I do not know Joe, thus will not say anything about that guy.

But I know personally many members who posted "stay away" and i'm glad this place, RWG, saved me from a so bad experience.

Waiting is not an issue.

Being screw*d is painfull.

Cheers

Stephane

RolexSubmariner1680RedEdge_PS800_20.jpg

If I were to age my dial I wouldnt go anywhere but repaustria.

He has developed one of a kind unique method that is second to none!

About movement servicing I think The Zigmeister is the best watchmaster, despite I havent used his services yet but will do.

Thats because you're so smart Andreww.

Any chance you get to stir it huh?

Sean K

Not stirring anything Sean. Simply pointing out the problem. When anybody at RWI dares to question the "almighty Joe" they are quickly berated by folks like hk45ca and yourself. You boys trip over your own tongues more often than good ole Gerald Ford.

So we can put into perspective how much Joe is overcharging.

Sean K

You just don't get it do you...he's not overcharging, he's a scammer. There is a difference.

Have a read of this post, and maybe your eyes will open.

The scammer at work, click here

Be sure to read all the way to the end for the so you can see the real "Joe" that we have come to know since he joined RWG1 in Jan 05. Some of us know the truth, one day a golf club polisher, the next a self proclaimed watch expert, others like you and your bud HK45 will never get it, I wonder why that is?

As for the work that was done, have you even looked at the pictures diesel posted, or are you blind to that as well.

Do those CG's look different to you?

Does that look like a gen crown, oh wait, Joe said that you can't install genuine crowns...well I wonder how I do it all the time...and so do others...oh sorry, I meant to say "smaller more like Genuine Crown"...what a crock...

Does that crystal look genuine to you?

Case refinishing? Really? I see nothing, see above link for comparison and what $75 gets you.

$100 for that dial refinishing? and an extra $50 if you want it to "glow".

Polish and oil the bracelet, well at least Joe got the "oil" part correct.

Etc, etc...

@ diesel, sorry to hear about the whole situation, you got taken sir, and for that I am truly sorry. I hope this is the last we ever hear of Joe, but somehow I doubt it, not with people like seank1 who are promoting and encouraging members to get scammed. I take it your in the EU, if there is anything I can do to help, let me know.

RG

Joe is a scammer, he reuined my WM DRSD and DW 6263. about $2000 worth.

I have tried to fix the problems with him but he is too stupid to understand what he did wrong.

Thus, I did not bother sending those watches back to him because you never know when you will get them back and he is not capable of making them better.

think those money I have drained as a donation to a poor idiot on the street.

This may sound harsh, after draining about $2000 I really can't be any nicer about it.

I cannot believe he is still charging that much for those crappy parts and works.

My DRSD relume work looks like a 7-year-old kid's work and none of the parts are genuine. (+ he ruined the hands with bad scratches)

I have bought DW6263, with a extra movement and sent them to Joe and both of them came back broken.

I do not wear my watches and incident with him made me stop buying or modding anymore reps for a while.

After his responses on this matter, I really thought he may be a 7-years old kid.

You guys probably heard this a lot, but do NOT send your watches to him. It is better to donate that money to the poor people.

As far as I am concerned, he is the biggest scammer in this business.

It is your choice, but this kid needs to learn a lesson.

You just don't get it do you...he's not overcharging, he's a scammer. There is a difference.

Have a read of this post, and maybe your eyes will open.

The scammer at work, click here

Wow, interresting read from a year ago: same wording and same results....

But that was Oct 5 2006, 08:39 PM

Package seems so sexy.

Lord, please note I am gratefull to You that I met some nice people here that did NOT take my money and run.

not to be disrespectful... but if i had the right tools... i am quite confident that I could do a better job than joe at modding watches!!! haha... and that is from somebody that only just dissasembled a watch for the first time a couple of weeks ago and has never even removed hands from a dial... i did however sand the edges of my case and bracelet of my mbk 1680 last week... feels much better! joe would have charged what? $75?? dang...

The admin team, and senior members, are often admonished, for pointing new members at the search button.

Here again, is a classic example of insufficient research.

Not taking a shot at Diesel, who has stated he was less than thorough in his research, more to point out that the admin team and older members are aware of the "history" of events such as this, and are aware of who has been banned and who are involved in questionable actions.

The subject of modding is frequently discussed in admin, moreso of late, and is an area which can become "grey"... especially to enthusiatic newcomers.

Caution can only be offered so many times, but it will never be as accepted, as some strong research on a subject!

Finally we each make our own decisions as to what we want to do, how we spend our $$, and here we can see that Diesel accepts his misfortune, and now posts this as a further warning.... a warning that will only be seen by a current reader, or a newb in a months time, who reaches for the SEARCH button.

The search button is your friend!

Offshore

WOW look at these bargain prices!

$120 for crappy crown guards and lubing the o-rings with NO guarantee of water resistance HAHA nice

$45 for a crystal that you can buy from clarks for $15

$100 for that crappy crown and tube? You've got to be kidding me. The Zigmeister used to charge $110 (last yrs prices) and that INCLUDES the gen crown and tube. Joe says the gen parts arnt any better so he uses these parts instead? Thats just plain stupid. There is no way anyone would actually believe this so hes just scamming scamming scamming.

$65 to install a different bezel insert? HAHA these are $10 on ebay. And he thinks the correct vintage pearl is the one with the metal ring around it?

Why do the guys at RWI praise this guy so much? All i've ever read about him is how his work sucks and he over charges and it takes him a year to complete a watch. And heres just one more example of this. Joe must be paying off certain people at RWI because all they seem to do is defend him and his work. Doesnt make sense. His work sucks incomparison to guys like The Zigmeister who do the work faster AND cheaper and 10x better.

OK chaps here is a direct quote from the email that Joe sent me concerning the costs:

"the case refinishing is just as described in what i sent u before here it is again

120 -red sub works package-mill cgs,tighten bezel,water test (,the obvious stuff like regrease o-rings , clean dial , clean crystal , clean inner ring like it should be, if using same insert i realign it for u , ) u can also just option for cgs milling for 60 bucks and the obvious stuff is included in that as well

75-new genuine crystal with correct date font i recommend and it is genuine ok i found a company from texas that will sell me the correct crystals and they say genuine , they cost 45 bucks and looking at it i really think it is genuine ok ( note if for a drsd add 30 bucks for the tropic 39 they cost me more ok)(45 bucks just to install, if u have your own crystal)

100-caseholes or lugholes drilled out and put the fatter pins in it also mill out the bracelet to fit the new pins ok

75-refinish case to make it look like a refinished watch like a 1970's watch should look like (no sharp lines on the top of the case lugs )

100-change crown/tube out to a smaller one more like genuine but aftermarket , the gens require more work actually and r not that much better imho (sometimes i have genuine ones in stock as well , generally they will run anywhere from 40 to 80 usd more , so u would add that)

100-to age the dial and hands add 50 bucks if u want them

to glow abit and have more of the tritium effect

65-new insert with correct ring around the pearl(metal) and font size(i do have genuine acrylic pearls as well that is a 60 usd upcharge) installed also i do put a glass like coat on the pearls now to make them look even better

40-polish and oil the bracelet to give it that silky feeling like genuine only with package if separate it is 60 bucks(what i do is buff each link and then put simichrome paste on it and rub it in good then i oil it down with wd-40 and then i scrub it in hot soapy water with a soft tooth brush)

now these prices r only in a package type deal , so basically if u choose two 100 dollar or more things to do u get this pricing if u pick and choose or u could do the whole enchilada as posted down below, doing things seperate r treated like a seperate job and i have to spend xtra time doing that particular job , so it will cost a little bit more, if u do a couple different jobs then it will be all apart more than likely so i already have it all apart therefore it is not as time consuming, hope u understand

so that is pretty much all the options on the red sub but that is what it will take to make it almost perfect the only thing that would not be correct would be the movement and the datewheel color but i still think they made the datewheel in white as well as ss so i dont think it is a big issue but i may be able to get those to i am waiting on a parts list from a new company ,hope this summs it up for u and u now no how picky i am and some things can be optional now the question is how picky r u? lol and if u get it all done I will give u a price of 600 for all mods done to it and 630 for the drsd (crystal cost more), also add 50 bucks if u choose the tritium glow look to the total price ok (upgrades stuff is extra) , i have a bergeon water pressure tester and i test them to 50 feet for u and if they pass i will tell u and if not i will tell u but understand this , if it passes I AM NOT GUARANTEEING ANYTHING , I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR WATCH IF IT GETS WATER IN IT

i can only give u peace of mind , u r not paying me like u would the big boys for that guarantee , but if u want to give me 3000 usd i will guarantee it then ,LOL!!! , cause in a sense u r paying for that luxury from the name brand watch makers!!!

DISCLAIMER- i am not responsible for any postage losses outside the usa , i have never had a problem yet but i cant predict what other countries do,, also i will insure all packages for 100 usd , if u want to insure for more u must pay for this and i ship two day priority , if u want shipped differently then u must request this and pay for the extra charges , thanks joe"

I am glad that docblackrock now finds this topic useful as I think it is important that people are made aware of the dangers to their pocket when dealing with certain individuals. I would also like to point out that it would have been very easy for me to keep quiet about the watch, enjoy wearing it and thus possibly allow others to tread this somewhat regrettable path. I can only hope that this thread is read by many others, especially those new to the world of modding and that they take careful heed of the much appreciated help contained herein. If it saves only one individual a couple of hundred bucks then I regard it as a thread well worth starting.

Please continue to make observations about my errors. As I said I have a thick skin and believe me, in the grand scheme of things this is not a life changing issue.

Thanks to all.

FRIIIIIIIIIIIIICCCCCCCCCCKKKKK !! I have a MBW 1680 with Joe....sent gen insert,dial...1570 mvt..etc...MANNNNNN Im calling tomm to get my ish back ( i hope he didnt start work on it...)....MAN, I wish I knew.....

I emailed him and said..dont start work till I get a price quote from him...

WOW..NOT COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! UNBELIEVEABLE!!!!...

On RWI he is considered one of the best modders..every other thread..is his work....

Honestly after looking at what was done to TT's piece you're right. I was distracted by all the pretty pictures. I'd still like to know what it cost.

Sean K

I sold the Watch to Jetson for about 400.00 as pictured with one exception...

Ubi sourced a wonderful Insert and installed a Gen Pearl...

Jetson recieved both Inserts...

And Nanuq scored one as well B)

Double T

@The Zigmeister. That really was a legitimate question for TT. I wasn't implying anything. As for Joe being a scammer I will continue to say that I don't believe that to be the case. You ask why The Zigmeister? Well of coarse its because Joe gives me a kick back for every watch he does. That was for you Andreww since you think you know everything, everything is a conspiracy.

@The Zigmeister What happened to you and Joe? You were friends at one time. Something tells me this discord goes deeper than your strong feelings toward protecting the good people of this forum. And that is an outside observation, I really do respect you and your knowledge and the work you do for people.

Truth is Joe's done some work for me and its always been exceptional. The people that I know across the boards that have dealt with him, 98% have been equally satisfied. The big complaint has always been time. The funny thing is its always the same guys that do the bashing with the same old posts. I'll sum it up this way, I'm a plumbing contractor and I do exceptional work. I would say that on average 95% of my customers are extremely satisfied both residential and commercial. The fact that 5% are either asshats or have a legitimate beef does not make me a bad contractor. You get the point I'm sure.

Truth be told and I'm serious about this if people think Joe is too expensive then don't send your watches to him plain and simple. There is plenty of info on all the forums for and against him. More positive than negative I might add.

@Andreww :p I'll tell you this like I've told you before. I have no hidden agendas. I just call them like I see them. Most who have spoken to me personally will tell you the same thing.

Sean K

I guess you are 1/100 lucky one, that does not mean RBJ is not a scammer.

I really don't understand why you are still a cheerleader for him after reading and seeing how many people have been scammed by him.

If you are happy with your watch then good for you, but there are many others that are not.

I am for sure one of the person who got scammed by him and decided to stand up this time because I do not want people to experience what I have gone through.

That kid needs to learn a lesson

Edited by john

So the point of this post is to allow people to decide for themselves if they want to send their watches to Joe... I see. Here's a question: why? Why do we need another data point? But now that we have one... same shoddy lume work, same lack of genuine parts, same ungodly turnaround time, same outlandish pricing, and same apathy from watch owner who doesn't know better that we've been accustomed to seeing from watch work courtesy of Joe. Thanks.

If i was to use a modder on RWI i would probably research Vacuum and see what people say about his work. From what i've seen its 10x better than Joes work. ANd its not that Joe is 'expensive' but its the fact that hes severely over charging for work done ($100 for crappy replica crown and tube), hes charging for work he doesnt do (aging the case and removing the sharp lines), and he does POOR work in general, just look at his lume work. Im not saying i can do it any better as i am not a watchmaker, but i know the difference between good work and bad work. If you want your watch modded properly then send it to someone like The Zigmeister. If you have lots of money and want it butchered so it looks like a 7 year old did it......

Any member here with basic knowledge of hand tools and some mechanical ability could mod their watch themself with no experience and get the same results as joe provides. The reason we send our watches to real watchmakers is to get it done properly.

@malumouse - I hope you can get your watch and parts back before he starts on it. Sounds like you have an amazing project here with the gen dial and movement, and would hate to see it screwed up. There are many VERY GOOD modders here on RWG. Just do some research so you send it to the right person.

Lonnie

On RWI he is considered one of the best modders..every other thread..is his work....

@John Who are the many? Please show me the many and and I'll get off the horse. 1/100 thats just crazy talk so I'm going to dismiss. If Joe had 1 in 100 satisfied customers he wouldn't be on any of the sites.

@Pugs BTW I hope all is well with you. Hope Scotland it treating you fine. Many moons ago you were going to get together all the complaints that Joe had and I've never seen that posted. I would like to see that.

Sean K

@seank

search button will do for you.

Previous posts, and this post.....etc...

BTW where do those 98% or 95% come from? I will dismiss as well if you can't prove that.

AGAIN, THERE ARE SUFFCIENT NUMBER OF PEOPLE WHOM HAVE BEEN SCAMMED BY HIM and WE SHOULD POINT THAT OUT.

His work package descriptions for parts fool people, he claims that they are either genuine and better but they are not!

That is a legit scam, why should someone pay big bucks for something 'not as described'?