When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

When does a watch become "gay"?

anton

VB, you could not be more wrong. It has nothing to do with men finding being gay as a sign of weakness it is simply that most straight men find it flat out repulsive to even consider having another mans [censored] in their mouth or ass. Thats what it is about, Who made you an authority on the male psyche?, or is just penis envy taking hold? :lol:

I was trying to be decent, and this is the thanks I get?! ;)

No, seriously.

I realise there's a physicality that is repulsive to straight men (frankly, a little bit to me too), but the physicality images are not present when you are growing up. It's in those crucial childhood years that boys are taught that weakness is female. As they grow up, they equate that with effeminate gay men.

Wait, this thread is about ghetto watches, no wait that's another thread! Arrgh, too much gay on RWG. I think Chieftang was right. We should have a gay button. In pink. :)

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

VB, you could not be more wrong. It has nothing to do with men finding being gay as a sign of weakness it is simply that most straight men find it flat out repulsive to even consider having another mans [censored] in their mouth or ass. Thats what it is about, Who made you an authority on the male psyche?, or is just penis envy taking hold? :lol:

Repressed much? :blink:

They say Homophobia is the inability to deal with one's own latent homosexuality, and that puts you so far in the closet you're in Narnia.

Repressed much? :blink:

They say Homophobia is the inability to deal with one's own latent homosexuality, and that puts you so far in the closet you're in Narnia.

I have a number of gay friends, am not repressed in the least, however your unqualified psychiatric opinion is duly noted and you may blow it out your bottom pug. :D Perhaps you might want to skip to Narnia, hand in hand with your walrus and have lots of gay walrus sex there. :rolleyes:

Does anyone remember Tourby's "Is Panerai a gay watch?" thread?

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=275960

Most of your questions were touched on, tongue-in-cheek most times, in that thread, Anton.

I think I went on record by saying that a man's masculinity, across all cultures, across all times, is defined by how unfeminine he is seen. Whereas a woman's femininity is not predicated on how unmasculine she is.

We women can wear trousers, but apart from Celtic peoples, and the odd Greek soldier (Evzones), most men in the West can't put on a skirt without derision or aspersions on their sexuality arising.

This is especially true in the post-modern Western world, but in the East, overt homosexuality is streng verboten either implied or otherwise.

That "shaming" factor of "you run like a girl!" simply does not exist in the opposite gender. If anything, being told I run like a guy was a compliment (I was into track-and-field when younger).

Fashion is mutable. Some men wear manpurses, and many metrosexuals take more care of themselves than many women I know.

But there are some hardcore ideas of what masculine is.

Anything implying daintiness is out. Anything too pink is out. Anything too vibrant and shiny is out.

And good rule of thumb is, if a gay man like Liberace or Elton John likes it, it's out for a straight male. That's just the way it is.

I'm still trying to get my boyfriend to wear a pink shirt. No deal so far. I can't even get him to watch The Dying Gaul, which is a wonderful film. :p

I've been wearing pink shirts for years, and still prefer the company of women :D Some say it takes a Real Man to wear a pink shirt. In a film, one guy specifically wears a pink shirt as an excuse to get into fights if someone makes fun of it :lol:

I've been wearing pink shirts for years, and still prefer the company of women :D Some say it takes a Real Man to wear a pink shirt. In a film, one guy specifically wears a pink shirt as an excuse to get into fights if someone makes fun of it :lol:

WELCOME BACK TEEJAY!! :)

Now that I am better, I can get you those straps. I'll PM you by this evening my time, to sort things out. Hope you enjoyed yerself!

P.S.: Oh, never mind about the pink shirt. Do you wear women's sunglasses? That's the bit I don't like in today's mens, as the Wayans Bros. used to say.

I'm afraid that there are a few blatantly gay watches around.

These do not include any of the Breitling range.

I wear my wife's under garments at the weekend. Does this mean that I am gay? If so please let me know which is the most accurate Panerai that I might be able to buy. :lol:

I guess is depends on how literal you interpret the word 'gay'. I've used the term in such statements as "That shirt's gay... in a grade six kind of way." Now depending where I'm at and who hears me, I can get some strange looks. Now when I say that, it really means I am taking a stab at my buddy or brother's shirt by saying it is lame, ugly, or whaterver. What does 'grade six kind of way' mean? I remember back in grade 6 or 7, that when you said something was gay, you meant it was really ugly, lame, etc. We didn't really know what 'gay' was. I too live on the left coast, and in a city that is quite open minded about being 'gay', in a grade six kind of way, or any other way. :lol:

As a side note: my neighbor across the lane is gay, rides a Harley and I've seen him sporting a similar Brietling! I guess that makes the Brietling a gay watch. :lol:

masculinewatchfv4.jpg

one can spin this thread around and we can start listing the BRAWNY watches (you know, like the guy on the front of the BRAWNY papertowels) as the sign of the man man

:lol: :lol: :lol:

well, i'll start it off.. if you have a BREITLING or an AP on your wrist, then yes.. you're a BRAWNY man

lol, shoot.. wearing 50 lbs of metal alone on your wrist makes you a brawny guy :p

so forget us gays who have panerai, where the brawny men at? start listing the brawny watches..

perfect example: AP Terminator watch - 50lbs right on your wrist, real man wear!

:p

It's only gay if your balls touch.

Watches don't become gay; people do. By standard "gayness" rules, Panerai are the Brokeback of watches, all repressed macho leather straps doing manly jobs on the outside, but so gaygaygay on the inside. However, that doesn't mean everyone wearing Panerais is gay, much like wearing leather chaps and a cowboy hat doesn't make you gay ... not all the time, anyway. ;)

Much like being called out for wearing replicas, it's not the watch, it's the person wearing it. Some people will get called out for wearing a replica Rolex no matter how good a replica it is and others will never be called out, much like some straight men can make a Chanel ceramic watch look like a decent fashion choice and some gay men can make a Seiko diver look like a gay accessory.

If your shopping decisions are made by whether or not someone else thinks something is gay, you're in trouble, but they're in even more.

I coundn't have put this more eloquently Puggers.

Big Black BB and Rob wear white J12's, they happen to be Hetro. I wear a 38 MM Aquaracer Automatic Gen, sure a lady could wear it as well as a child. I just happen to be hetro but I don't care if people think I'm gay or homosextual, I like the watch. If you worry about what other people say about you, Put on a shirt that says I like Vagina's and wear your watch without worry.

Put on a shirt that says I like Vagina's and wear your watch without worry.

:lol: :lol:

I Google Imaged "I like Vaginas" as my search string, and unfortunately, no one has come up with a t-shirt bearing this vaginal statement.

But I did find this.

bagelvaginavk6.jpg

(How does that look like a vagina?? "Fun atmosphere". I bet)

:lol: :lol:

I Google Imaged "I like Vaginas" as my search string, and unfortunately, no one has come up with a t-shirt bearing this vaginal statement.

But I did find this.

bagelvaginavk6.jpg

(How does that look like a vagina?? "Fun atmosphere". I bet)

Too Funny V! I left out the shirt that says, "Dicks are Kool" just like the cigarettes.

Edited by r2d4

i am starting to wonder about my 183.....but it looks so good with my tutu.

Oy! When Mikhail Baryshnikov defected from the Iron Curtain, he nailed every woman in the West, including Jessica Lange, Jessica Tandy, and Jessica Fletcher!

Unfortunately, he has really bad taste in watches. Movado, Misha? Say it ain't so!

baryshnikovxb6.jpg

(Yeah, sorry guys. Not a fan. Movado is gay) :lol:

According to this:

http://www.outuk.com/index.php?http://www..../car/index.html

The gayest car in the world is the Smart car. Simple logic will dictate that if we were to find the watch equivalent we would have the gayest watch in the world.

Here's the top 10 as compiled by OutUK:

1. Smart

2. Jeep Wrangler

3. Pink Rolls-Royce

4. Mercedes SL55 AMG

5. New Mini

6. BMW Z8

7. Porsche convertible

8. Classic Chevy

9. New Skoda

10.New Beetle

Let's have some fun and find the horological equivalents.

Edited by The Mentalist

I think that the smaller the case diameter, the more gay the watch becomes. Pink and light blue dials are also a sign of gayness. I have a friend that has a watch with both attributes. I don't know the name, but it was the gayest watch I have ever seen. The case diameter was about 35. It had a baby blue dial. I said "nice watch, does it come in men's? He got a little upset. You should not wear a watch that you would be willing to let your daughter wear. I don't talk to my friend much anymore. I keep wondering if it is because of the watch, but it's probably because we are so busy all the time.

I think that the smaller the case diameter, the more gay the watch becomes. Pink and light blue dials are also a sign of gayness. I have a friend that has a watch with both attributes. I don't know the name, but it was the gayest watch I have ever seen. The case diameter was about 35. It had a baby blue dial. I said "nice watch, does it come in men's? He got a little upset. You should not wear a watch that you would be willing to let your daughter wear. I don't talk to my friend much anymore. I keep wondering if it is because of the watch, but it's probably because we are so busy all the time.

I posted this in the Celebs wearing Panerai thread, as an adjunct photo.

trumanid3.jpg

That pretty much covers your criteria. :lol:

@The Mentalist: BTW, I saw my first Miami-Smart car the other day! People were gawking and staring. All I kept thinking was, if they get into an accident with the SUVs we have here (and Florida is ALL about the SUV), they're toast. Poor things.